View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the Junior Hunt

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its great... I get to teach my kid how to hunt

207 69.93%
  • Its silly...for many reasons

71 23.99%
  • who cares... I always get my deer so I don't care.

18 6.08%
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Re: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    x2.... A lot doesn't surprise me these days but yet I keep opening threads like this up and shaking my head....
    Not true. I got my deer and it wasn’t in a national park.

Quote Originally Posted by blackford View Post
    Not true. I got my deer and it wasn’t in a national park.
    I was referencing the first sentence he posted. And yep, its true....threads like this are a fine example of why we're at where we're at.

Like I said. Not all Dads or Moms during youth season poach. But let’s be honest. I have been getting texts and phone calls from guys I know in this board and one nice PM that understand where I am coming from but don’t want to be a whistle blower.

If the deer population is declining for whatever reason let’s do what we can to look after them. When I was out during 4 point season I had several 2 points follow me ... one walked towards me. Why does this youth season need to be so long on region 8 .
    If you are getting that many phone calls and messages about poaching and nobody is doing anything about it. Then I will say it one more time.
    The people not reporting are a huge part of the problem.

Oh no. Some kids took out some stupid young deer. I have seen 4 and 5 points taken that were just as dumb. Maybe any deer that you see that doesnt run like hell should be deemed special needs and not allowed to shoot it.

One more thing. I saw waaaaaaaay more guys out hunting and tagging stupid deer in the archery season using crossbows that some are capable of 100 yrds shots. But again. A 30 day season for kids that might get out once or twice in that 30 days is the culprit. Btw. I love the archery season. And I have a bow. But never taken a deer in that archery season.

I have been asked if I have kids and I gave 2. They actually come with me and aren’t ready to hunt but they are by my side. When it’s time they can have a gun and be ready to pull the trigger. In the meantime , I am not going to pretend they are hunting in youth season.

Like I said. Not all Dads or Moms during youth season poach. But let’s be honest. I have been getting texts and phone calls from guys I know in this board and one nice PM that understand where I am coming from but don’t want to be a whistle blower.

If the deer population is declining for whatever reason let’s do what we can to look after them. When I was out during 4 point season I had several 2 points follow me ... one walked towards me. Why does this youth season need to be so long on region 8 .

there also seems to be a direct corilation between those who support it and thousands who have youth hunters . I thank my dad for showing me you don’t always win. Sometimes you need to learn from mistakes and also when your hunting with the. If boys you need to play with the big boys. It’s completley unrelated but this is the same reason why at school on sports days they have participan robins only. We are afraid of our kids losing . Quit the pussification of these kids. Get them out there like the rest of us.

Whats next- sockeye fishing when they want and remove bait bans ....

dads who are saying that it’s over because they had to cut there tag.... cmon. That tag would be more special if you got the deer while it wasn’t trying to come see your truck if you had a spare baloney sandwich...

i am nkt not trying to ruffle feathers .... I just think that we need to look at this. 30 days in region 8 is ridiculous
    Again you point out emotion. How about you tell us what your plan would be to save the deer and how it would work .
    Also how do you feel about the senior hunt ? Should we say F-U to them also ?
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

If I remember right I had a hunting lic. at 12 but big game only had my dads tag.

The youth season has had controversy since it started. Outside of a few who feel it’s causing a conservation concern with youth shooting too many bucks the issue is adults abusing the season

The abuse issues keep coming up commonly with the any buck MD youth season but Have heard of little to no abuse with the late WT youth season, Md doe youth season, the past moose calve season(closed do to moose populations) and elk season ( hear a little hear).

That 9 days were adults are restricted to archery or bears seems to be when there is the biggest talk of abuse

That brings the ? Would it help limit abuse if youth seasons were laid out to run during periods were adults taking them out still had reasonable rifle opportunity?

With examples of other youth seasons running with little to no controversy of abuse it seems that it maybe as simple as changes to how youth season is applied

But this is BC so odds are common sense addressing controversy will not be considered lol

Bring on reasons on how even considering compromise and steps to possibly limiting abuse is evil, I eat babies, I am an elitist, or even a GO lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Thank you for having the balls to say and print what many of us have been saying under our breaths. I and many friends agree with you. I learned to hunt during the same season as my father. My sons learned to hunt during the same seasons. They got deer. They got grouse. They got to hunt as much as they wanted for the most part.
    You are absolutely right that we keep putting more and more pressure on a dwindling resource and wonder why it is in trouble.
    I am retired and have (I'm told) lots of time on my hands. I know that I do not need a special season when I am a senior. We already have some of if not the most liberal hunting seasons in North America. If I cannot get a deer within the regular GOS hunting seasons, with the opportunity to hunt virtually every day, it's not the hunting season that needs work.
    Good on you to speak up!
    like, like, like.
    Ummmm, just for the record, I agree with having a youth season. I was making a secondary point about respecting the fact that OP was willing to stick his neck out, FYI.

All this talk about abuse by Dads shooting the deer...

How many tickets have been issued? How many convictions? How many complaints made to COs?

If the abuse is as widespread as many on here are claiming, then there surely is done documentation, right?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

simply put. if a tree falls in the forrest and nobody is there... does it still make a sound. I have hunted some pretty remote areas and some pretty heavy hunted areas in the last 15 years.... I have been stopped once by a CO. If you are relying on tickets in the bush...well to say it politely ... this isn't going to happen.

about 6 years ago I had a beer with a CO at a pub during hunting season and asked him about the conservation and youth season. He did say that they did a trial and put a decoy that moves in the bush during youth season and 4 point season. I wrote down the results as he was talking on my iPhone because I wanted to get them right....

In youth season, 34 people shot.

30 of those shots were done by dad or mom
    15 shots were taken from inside a vehicle

In 4 point season they did the same thing.

over the weekend several cars stopped. ( he didn't have the number)

4 people shot from the truck
    2 people shot from when it was not a 4 point but was only open

I asked him about youth season and he laughed.. He said he only gets paid to enforce the rules.

In regards to being part of the problem... Calling a CO and saying that the dad is in full camp shooting a high powered rifle and cleaning a deer while the sun is in ninja turtle pj's playing his Nintendo in his truck isn't reasonable grounds to fine someone. its so hard to police. Again... I am not saying its all the kids. I am just saying its a lot. a lot I hear about... its also a long time to shoot deer which aren't afraid of anything...

for those of you being brash about this.... please don't. its a topic that I wanted to bring up. based on the poll... a lot of people see different that what I see.. I respect that 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    All this talk about abuse by Dads shooting the deer...

How many tickets have been issued? How many convictions? How many complaints made to COs?

If the abuse is as widespread as many on here are claiming, then there surely is done documentation, right?
    considering i hunt on average 50+ days per fall for the last 10 years of my life and have been stopped a total of 3 times by a co might be a reason there hasn't been many convictions. i really like seeing conservation officers in the bush and always have good chats when i do see them, but it just doesnt happen enough. what the conviction number is is fairly irrelevant if people are doing it and getting away with it. honestly maybe the number of people cheating the system is so minimal it has no effect {this is what i believe}. But i have no proof of these things happening. maybe its jealous hunters like the OP making up stories to try and socially manage our hunting seasons, probably the case!
    I'm sure the wolves are not in the area to howl Kumbaya at the moon and eat granola. "Ourea"