View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the Junior Hunt

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its great... I get to teach my kid how to hunt

207 69.93%
  • Its silly...for many reasons

71 23.99%
  • who cares... I always get my deer so I don't care.

18 6.08%
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Re: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    No reason to get pissed off, imo.
    The OP is just bringing up a "conversation".
    Yes, based on his/hers experiences of late, which obviously is their opinion.
    But I do think there is room for conversation on this.

All that being said, no matter when the opening is, a soon as a couple of gunshots go off, game becomes wary.
    Should kids have the 1st crack, I think so, but then I was never much for opening day hunts anyways,
    (I like to give the game a chance!).
    Thanks . I wanted to make a few points clear.

The youth season used to be a week or so long. The kids are then in school. We now make it 30 days and then its Open season for everyone. I agreed with the week long opening but a month.. This eliminates alot of deer.

@SKIBUM I should be entitled to a deer as much as I am or you or your son for that matter. But... with this opening i am not. Why is it that the youth season entitles the Dad/ youth more than the average person...

Its impossible to patrol the bush. you hear a gunshot and you see it later on. A perfectly placed shot while the kid is in the truck and the dad is skinning the deer...

I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR... THIS IS NOT ALL THE KIDS AND PARENTS BUT RATHER COMMON FROM WHAT I SEE IN THE BUSH. Do i have grounds to call a CO about it... Or for that matter the balls to call and report someone who has a rifle in the same bush i am sleeping in... NO.

Why not a draw system. Teach the kids how it works... Also leave the chickens alone...or make it a reduced limit.

Also the messages from people claiming i must of not got a deer... I did.. I managed. It was the only deer i saw and it came home..

So far, I've just seen assumptions and opinions, par for the course.

Does anybody, including the OP, have any hard facts or data to suggest that the 30 day youth season is reducing ungulate populations? I'm talk hard numbers.

And, remember, kids are kids. I doubt there are many that are 'hunting hard' all 30 days. Realistically, a week would only be one, maybe two days of hunting on the weekend for the average youth. Now, 30 days give 4 weekends = 8 days, of which all are probably not utilized either.

As for the unsubstantiated allegation that many adult hunters are using their kids tags to shoot deer aka poaching, then I would be more worried that the province is full of poachers, and if their abusing the youth season, what else are they illegally doing that is impacting the deer population?!?!?

If you witness poaching and do not call RAPP, then shame on you.

Again, this is more 'hunter on hunter' bs, divide we continue to fall....

Quote Originally Posted by blackford View Post
    Thanks . I wanted to make a few points clear.

The youth season used to be a week or so long. The kids are then in school. We now make it 30 days and then its Open season for everyone. I agreed with the week long opening but a month.. This eliminates alot of deer.

@SKIBUM I should be entitled to a deer as much as I am or you or your son for that matter. But... with this opening i am not. Why is it that the youth season entitles the Dad/ youth more than the average person...

Its impossible to patrol the bush. you hear a gunshot and you see it later on. A perfectly placed shot while the kid is in the truck and the dad is skinning the deer...

I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR... THIS IS NOT ALL THE KIDS AND PARENTS BUT RATHER COMMON FROM WHAT I SEE IN THE BUSH. Do i have grounds to call a CO about it... Or for that matter the balls to call and report someone who has a rifle in the same bush i am sleeping in... NO.

Why not a draw system. Teach the kids how it works... Also leave the chickens alone...or make it a reduced limit.

Also the messages from people claiming i must of not got a deer... I did.. I managed. It was the only deer i saw and it came home..
    Damn you see a lot of parents pulling the trigger.... you must have a lot of bad friends or you are at the right place at the right time all the time ? So punish the kids.....since they changed the regs for mule, my kid shot his deer on my tag. Now I’m done for mule. No mule for me ! There you go one mule saved for ya....

also, the LEH system is a BS system, and not the way it should be. If you want to save deer and chickens do the kids a solid and don’t hunt

happy hunting !
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

It would be interesting to see how many of the votes or supporters of the youth season have a vested interested in the youth hunt because they have a youth in the family......

Also, hey.... I simply have the balls to bring up these matters and questions . As a hunting community we should welcome this sort of discussion rather than bully people with answers.... How are we going to teach people to hunt respectfully when they cant respect one another in a discussion...

I will go out on a limb here.. this season my 14yo son won a youth doe draw for region 8 .. we practiced shooting my 30.06 many times during the summer so he would be ready to shoot his doe when the time came. Then we ended up on a day trip and he gets an oppertunity at a little 2pt and shoots it... and boy was I proud.. but.. when we got up to it, his hit broke its its back and it was still alive. Trying to get away with its 2 front legs only. I told him hes gotta finish it off and not let it suffer but he couldnt do it... being up close while it was like that made him a bit emotional... so I had to shoot it in the head for him. He felt so bad for it... and so did I. But I couldn't let it continue to suffer... my son was very apologetic and I tried to let him know it's ok and that's it's not always pretty .. he was silent for a bit.. and as I said a bit emotional. Did I do the wrong thing by killshotting it for him? ... should I have made him finish the job?

Edit: so now that he got a 2pt he wont be shooting his doe... which is good imho

You are missing the point. So your Tag has now turned into a deluxe open season tag because you have a kid....hardly seems fair for many reasons.

I dont want to save the deer or chickens . I just want it fair for everyone. And dont worry.... I hunt.. Its something I was brought up open and i wasnt pussified as a child to come shoot the animal with special conditions.. If i didnt get anything my dad simply said... Its hunting kid... its not shopping...

Quote Originally Posted by Taurusguy View Post
    I will go out on a limb here.. this season my 14yo son won a youth doe draw for region 8 .. we practiced shooting my 30.06 many times during the summer so he would be ready to shoot his doe when the time came. Then we ended up on a day trip and he gets an oppertunity at a little 2pt and shoots it... and boy was I proud.. but.. when we got up to it, his hit broke its its back and it was still alive. Trying to get away with its 2 front legs only. I told him hes gotta finish it off and not let it suffer but he couldnt do it... being up close while it was like that made him a bit emotional... so I had to shoot it in the head for him. He felt so bad for it... and so did I. But I couldn't let it continue to suffer... my son was very apologetic and I tried to let him know it's ok and that's it's not always pretty .. he was silent for a bit.. and as I said a bit emotional. Did I do the wrong thing by killshotting it for him? ... should I have made him finish the job?

Edit: so now that he got a 2pt he wont be shooting his doe... which is good imho

I dont see an issue with you doing this in my eyes... Completely different than him saying " Dad its to far... can you shoot it cause i will miss"

Yes, the 1 MD limit will definitely help in many regards, so that is one thing to keep in mind going forward.
    A lot less traffic/opportunity now being possible.
    Wondering if this coming Nov R3 hunt around the long weekend will show "less traffic" for once (ever since R5 closed at this time, it became a gong show).
    Maybe a shorter 2 week season would be okay by me, but that being said, I don't really go out for MD looking for a meat buck anyways.

Also, OP, I would have to say most people don't take the time to get out of their vehicles enough.
    I know most youngsters (wearing their flip flops in the truck) aren't going for any kind of hike.

If looking for a meat buck, getting inside the timber where they spend most of their time, will get you the success you are looking for on a yearly basis.

I know right if I went out for this weekend, I would have my spike buck down, 95% guaranteed.

Hope the rest of year season is good and you have success.

Quote Originally Posted by blackford View Post
    You are missing the point. So your Tag has now turned into a deluxe open season tag because you have a kid....hardly seems fair for many reasons.
    Is you gripe that too many youth are shooting deer, not leaving enough for hunters once GOS is open?

Or, there are too many poachers taking advantage of the youth season?

My issue is that the youth season is to long and poachers

if we have a deer shortage allowing for 1 MD only then why do we lengthen this season

its compounded