View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the Junior Hunt

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its great... I get to teach my kid how to hunt

207 69.93%
  • Its silly...for many reasons

71 23.99%
  • who cares... I always get my deer so I don't care.

18 6.08%
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Re: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

There's 2 members in this discussion that need to chill. Or they won't be discussing shit!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

This thread is about the youth season.
    Try to keep it on the rails.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

I like the Youth season as most do. Its great time spent with kids showing them the great outdoors. And any buck is perfectly fine for that season. I'm hoping that in 4 years time its still there for my son to take advantage of if he will want to hunt. So hard to get away from the shitty to do family hunting trips.
    My issue with the youth part is the leh doe youth only in some regions. Leh should be on an equal for everyone.
    (I don't care if I have a doe draw) what I mean is there's a ton of new hunters or hunters that have been putting in multiple years searching and still coming up empty handed while many youth have taken multiple deer with the ability to hunt 8 years of youth seasons.
    So Why are these new hunters or hard workers punished for doing the time and not allowed to enter that leh doe draw. Many of us have a spouse that might also love to hunt and how many of us have taken our kids out hunting and seen how excited they are when we also get something. Or how happy I am that My wife finally got a chance at an animal. My wife and I might get one weekend a year or every other year to get a whole family hunt in together and as people state that with school youth don't get much time out either. That's true but same goes with some family adventures. Not every one has the time, money, or jobs that allow multiple trips a year. So something like an LEH system there should be zero age brackets unless its actually fit into the youth season time frame or made youth season as a LEH thing in itself, otherwise everyone should be allowed to apply for these region draws.
    As a father and husband I would love nothing more than to be able to see my son and my wife to get an animal. I don't care about me lol I'd be so giddy if they did , but as it stands it is next to impossible to get out for a family trip but an LEH doe for my wife would be a guarantee for her (if she didn't miss) where my son and I could be there to watch her get it. In a few years time hopefully we will get some awesome family time out for early season youth when my sons old enough. But even then I still believe that others like my wife should not be discriminated against for being allowed to apply for a LEH tag in a zone that allows such tags. Yes not all zones are LEH doe youth only but its started and soon they all will be.
    Last edited by TravisC; 10-19-2018 at 06:54 AM.

I have also benefited from youth season over the past few years. My nephews have taken some early season bucks. I will say we don’t always tag out although we are coasters and are time restricted. I agree with a lot of stuff posted here on both sides. My vote. Region 8. Discontinue sept 1-31. Just make it sept 1-9. That makes sense to me. Nate

I am actually happy a youth supported by a gaurdian can’t bounce between 8/3,,,, daily to tag out. Did we do it. Yes but I am glad we can’t anymore. Never felt good about it.

^^^^^^
    Interesting and speculative statement/comment.

This thread is about the youth hunt.

I support bringing youth into any healthy interest/gives them an advantage to pursue their passion, ...that perpetuates their drive in life......furthermore, that sustains our sport.

Complain about kids being given an advantage to help them become motivated in pursuit of their goals and passion?
    Best break out your moral compass.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

1 deer max is great which is now the deal. ,,,,,for us as well. Like I said going between 8/5 all over the weekend never felt great to me. Management throughout all seasons

Its good for our youth, which in turn is good for families.

Been watching this thread for a while and trying to figure out how to phrase my response in a way that I won't have to give myself an HBC time-out!!

Blackford....my apologies, but your original post has struck me as coming from someone selfish, spoiled and self-entitled.......

from your first post.....
    This is ridiculous..... I have 1 week a year to dedicate to hunting. By the kids going out and shooting and eliminating a lot of deer from the mix, it makes it harder for me to get my deer.
    Jesus Christ- now even open for birds... every year I limited out on grouse. This year I came nowhere close... wonder why..?
    ........so because your hunt isn't all you hoped it would be, you seek to limit opportunity for youth? Is it not fair to say that curtailing the youth season will make it harder for them to get their deer??? You seem to feel its wrong that this (in your eyes) is happening to you...yet you're more than fine with doing it to them!!! .......selfish.....

You mention several times throughout the thread the declining deer numbers, conservation concern etc

Infact in our group we are fine for deer for a season and a half. Thats with us going to the elders in the community and giving the hunters that are to elderly to hunt some deer to enjoy.
    so your group shot enough for yourselves for a year and a half even after giving some away......yeah, seems like you're doin your part to protect deer populations allright. This just reeks of a "limit others, so theres more for me" attitude which is unfortunately rampant among the resident hunters of this province. I sat on the region 5 allocation committee for several years with gov't and the assorted user groups....it always amazed me how often I saw this attitude from the various resident hunter representatives.

If your main argument is that Dads shooting their kids deer is the problem and so we should curtail the season....well, those folks are just poachers. Every species in the province gets poached...should we just shut it all down? probably the most rampant abuse of the system in this province in regards to hunting is all the non-hunting members of a family that go get their CORE so the hunter of the family can get more chances in the draw....should we shut down every species thats on limited entry? I think not.

The number of hunters in this province is on the decline....and the majority we do have, i'd wager to say are my age (45) or older. We hunters are an aging demographic and if we don't do everything we can to replace our numbers from the bottom (youth), we will very soon become so inconsequential in numbers that it will be pretty easy for the gov't to just shut er all down for good.

Human nature....we tend to be so focused on the "how does this effect me?", that we fail to see the bigger picture.

JMHO
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Well said Willyqbc