View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the Junior Hunt

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its great... I get to teach my kid how to hunt

207 69.93%
  • Its silly...for many reasons

71 23.99%
  • who cares... I always get my deer so I don't care.

18 6.08%
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Re: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

I think what this thread is about is a whole lot of ASSumptions as to what other hunters with youth are up to.

I have never shot my kids animals, I have never taught them to lie or cheat. For better or worse, they have always harvested their own.

I will say the mind of a youth does seem to function a little slower than that of an adult. They don't seem to have the same appreciation as to the necessity of quick, efficient, timely movement after spotting a legal animal. For that, the youth season is invaluable for keeping them engaged and encouraged about hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    Nice deer !
    Makes me wonder if this four point would be up to certain people’s standards on this thread ? Is that next ? The size of the four point ? ( sorry for the troll).
    IMO Size is the very reason the original poster started this thread. You see, a kid probably shot a bigger buck than he did and that just ain't fair right? Jealousy is alive and well on the hunting boards of today. While true sportsmen are happy to see others have success, particularly a kid, the unsportsmen huddle around their keyboards in their momma's basement, despise the success of others, particularly kids. You see they have hunted there whole lives and haven't even seen a buck that big and then a kid goes out and shoots a monster for their first buck? Seriously? That ain't right. The dad must have shot it and we must get rid of all youth seasons to end this injustice. Seen it happen on this very board with my family. And ding ding ding, it has obviously happened again.

Edited to delete as I was wrong...
    Last edited by westcoaster; 10-22-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJHunter View Post
    Can you share a link to the goat write up dana? Good points and stories! And just want to remind all that the dads that take kids hunting in youth season are the same dads that don't fill their tags sometimes in regular season because they don't want their kids to lose the opportunity for a deer. I didnt shoot a deer last year because i wanted to make sure my kids had the opportunity. My daughter got her buck but i still ended the season with a couple of tags in my pocket. No regrets because my kids deer was a way cooler experience than anything I have ever shot.
    The goat hunt was over 10 years ago and the attacks spanned many a thread and wasn't just on this board. As for personally going skunked to see your kids have success, that is truly the mark of a good dad instilling high values in his childern. Good on ya!

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    I think what this thread is about is a whole lot of ASSumptions as to what other hunters with youth are up to.

I have never shot my kids animals, I have never taught them to lie or cheat. For better or worse, they have always harvested their own.

I will say the mind of a youth does seem to function a little slower than that of an adult. They don't seem to have the same appreciation as to the necessity of quick, efficient, timely movement after spotting a legal animal. For that, the youth season is invaluable for keeping them engaged and encouraged about hunting.
    I have seen this same attribute of slowness in many a newbie adult as well. It takes time and practice to get a hang of this hunting thing. With the youth being our future, all the more reason to maintain youth seasons so that the practice hones skill and we have a strong hunter for tommorrow.

I'm in the phase of taking the Junior BEFORE he is allowed to hunt the junior hunt. He will learn a heck of a lot before he is allowed to hunt them on his own tags. I do look forward to him pulling the trigger. I am glad that he has a chance at them. Sept-Nov. What a blessing to have so much time and so many unique seasons. We all have reason to celebrate this fact.

upload a photo online

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    I'm in the phase of taking the Junior BEFORE he is allowed to hunt the junior hunt. He will learn a heck of a lot before he is allowed to hunt them on his own tags. I do look forward to him pulling the trigger. I am glad that he has a chance at them. Sept-Nov. What a blessing to have so much time and so many unique seasons. We all have reason to celebrate this fact.

upload a photo online
    Awesome!!! That's what it is all about right there!!! #raisethemupright

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Awesome!!! That's what it is all about right there!!! #raisethemupright
    Yup. I agree. Fantastic

... and he is learning that hiking, spotting, and tenacity will EARN you success. My boys take part in the hunt. They don't "sleep in their pajamas" while we hunt and I definitely won't shoot their deer.

^^^^awesome job there eatram...