View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the Junior Hunt

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its great... I get to teach my kid how to hunt

207 69.93%
  • Its silly...for many reasons

71 23.99%
  • who cares... I always get my deer so I don't care.

18 6.08%
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Re: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Part of hunting getting skunked or making a decision no how to get to the animals... not oh look... the deer is looking at me... lets see if we can win either shoot the easiest deer or have dad help..
    Blackford, while I do agree as a parent that there is a definite need to build character in our children....I don't see a young hunters early years as the time or place for it. We are in such desperate need of new young hunters coming up behind us. If we don't "recruit" them, our hunting nheritage will wither and die within the next generation or two. Children build positive associations through success, the key is to get em involved and having success in the formative years so they grow to love hunting. There is nothing that will imprint on a kid stronger than the love, respect, praise of a parent when the child has success with something. As the years go on and they get older and more mature, there is plenty of time for them to learn about "tougher" hunting scenarios. I believe in advertising, this is what they call the "ole bait and switch"!! Let the kids think its "just that easy", once they are hooked theres plenty of time to learn its not quite as easy as it seems!

The only thing that will sway policy, funding etc, is the number of vocal voters bitchin about it. I would even support initiatives that help adult first time hunters have success and get them hooked too. I would gladly give up my tags to youth or first time hunters in an effort to improve recruitment. Hell, i basically did that for the last 8 years... my son got his core at 10 and we couldn't use all the meat that would have come if we'd both been filling tags, so for 6 years or so he was "on the stick" for everything we hunted....he got to take moose, bear, WT, mulie, elk. as a result of those years, I can garauntee he will be a hunter for life and will pass this lifestyle down to his kids. Despite your concerns about the shit-heel parents out there using their kids for a way to get an easy deer.....I would bet every penny i have, that my kids experience is much more the norm.

JMHO
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Just wondering if anyone thinks the First Nations will allow junior hunters next year when they control all the hunting seasons?

I have taken kids hunting. They love it. But it’s boots on the ground and help for a while . We work up to shooting ...they love it

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Times change...years ago there were many more 'country kids' that naturally experienced
    most outdoor activities as they grew up toward the day they could take a shot at an animal.
    Now, with so many not able to get that head start, and considering how stressed for time
    their parents are, I can see why so many are in favour of a early youth advantage. It's like
    fast tracking or taking a shortcut. I see nothing wrong with it considering today's environment,
    but I am opposed to it being for a whole month. Giving youths a chance before they get into
    their school curriculum is one thing, but the other 3 weeks is not different than general hunting
    season starting the 1st of October. Many, if not most hunters can only get out there on weekends.
    Their kids get weekends off as well. A hunting experience isn't, and shouldn't only be about killing
    something. Learning to take failure occasionally is part of life. As others have said, sometimes
    now-a-days we're a bit too over protective. Like is a school sports day, everyone getting a ribbon
    so as not to upset their feelings is going too far. Schools are to be preparing kids for real life in the
    very competitive world.

I can,t beleive that in the middle of hunting season the busiest thread on HBC at 17 pages and running is this thread.Sad.

People love to disagree quadra I ain't kidding you. Even hunters like to debate and get sensitive, but at least we and others see how important this issue is.
    Jel -- Always encourage your kids to shoot and hunt -- take them to the range -- take them hunting -- plan your trip togedder -- from LEH aps to the final steak --

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    I can,t beleive that in the middle of hunting season the busiest thread on HBC at 17 pages and running is this thread.Sad.
    actually the cannabis thread is at 18 pages, sad as well.

discussion is always good. I have heard several points to each argument.

Quote Originally Posted by blackford View Post
    835 we have a difference of opinions. I respect that .
    We do... on that.. but, we all hunt!
    This site has changed my opinion on things more ways than i can count.. A good debate is always something to learn from.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

In regard to the month long youth season...we shouldn't forget that there are a lot of childless hunters
    sitting on their thumbs during that month while hunters with children enjoy that special privilege...doesn't
    seem fair. As someone pointed out, would it be fair for any other pursuit such as the salmon runs? By the
    time a month has gone by the best opportunities until the rut are long gone.