View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the Junior Hunt

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its great... I get to teach my kid how to hunt

207 69.93%
  • Its silly...for many reasons

71 23.99%
  • who cares... I always get my deer so I don't care.

18 6.08%
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Re: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Not from Region 8 so I don't know the specifics in your area but as a father who is teaching my kids how to hunt I sure do appreciate the youth seasons. I am learning that everything is harder and takes longer when hunting with a youth. It helps to keep them interested as there is more opportunities, and personally I hope they expand upon the youth seasons.

as for parents shooting on their children's behalf... I doubt it happens that often and if you personally know of specific instances then please report them.

So now its shameful to take kids hunting during a youth season? Wow. I don't have anything nice to say so.....

Quote Originally Posted by RJHunter View Post
    So now its shameful to take kids hunting during a youth season? Wow. I don't have anything nice to say so.....

Not at all, you misread ! I said it's shameful to shoot a deer FOR your kid during youth season....while the kid sits in the truck in his pajamas...as witnessed by the OP !

The internet has created a new hunter, all follow the rules, only ever take ethical shots and never miss. What most people don’t see is what happens with a lot of hunters who do not read these forums. I would like to think most parents don’t shoot deer for their kids, but I’m pretty skeptical as I have heard quite a few “rumors” of this myself.

Do I want the youth season removed? : No.

I don’t believe the season takes opertunity away from myself or other hunters. If you can’t find a deer go kill some coyotes post season. Or a couple black bears the next spring. Everyone knows there’s plenty of black bears around, and even more coyotes. People should learn to be less jealous.

There’s a reason there’s fewer deer around, and it’s not from the amount of hunters. Pretty sure it’s above most people’s head as there’s always threads like this popping up. It’s not the good old days anymore but hunter opertunity is huge. And there are still animals around. You really have to work for them now.
    I'm sure the wolves are not in the area to howl Kumbaya at the moon and eat granola. "Ourea"

We seriously have people complaining about a youth season? This is a perfect example of why hunters in BC lag so far behind other provinces and states..

Complaints of adults shooting deer during the youth season are from the usual suspects who couldn't fill a tag hunting in a National Park. It is extremely rare and most guys are just looking for an excuse as to why they didn't cut a tag. It's jealously, plain and simple. Cry me a river. If you actually see something illegal, report it.

I love seeing the young guys/gals tagging out early in the school year!
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Frigging pathetic....

Quote Originally Posted by blackford View Post
    it makes it harder for me to get my deer. I contribute just like the parents of the kids do and I think I am entitled as much as they are to bagging my deer.
    Comes down to one thing. Entitled. Period.

You are not entitled to "your deer"

Quote Originally Posted by Islander30 View Post
    Not at all, you misread ! I said it's shameful to shoot a deer FOR your kid during youth season....while the kid sits in the truck in his pajamas...as witnessed by the OP !
    Sorry I wasn't responding to your post. I am responding to the OP and the rest that are suggesting that most or a high percentage of parents that are out with kids in youth season are being unethical and are breaking the law. Sure there are a few, but to suggest that most of us are breaking the law kind of pisses me off. I believe the OP is suggesting that the youth season should be closed because Dad is usually the one shooting the deer for the kid. I fall under the group that takes kids out during youth season and the thought that someone would suggest that we are poaching because a couple of kids are in pajamas.... Good to know that some will assume I am using my kids to get a deer early. Sorry, hard to blame poor success on kids.

Quote Originally Posted by RJHunter View Post
    Sorry I wasn't responding to your post. I am responding to the OP and the rest that are suggesting that most or a high percentage of parents that are out with kids in youth season are being unethical and are breaking the law. Sure there are a few, but to suggest that most of us are breaking the law kind of pisses me off. I believe the OP is suggesting that the youth season should be closed because Dad is usually the one shooting the deer for the kid. I fall under the group that takes kids out during youth season and the thought that someone would suggest that we are poaching because a couple of kids are in pajamas.... Good to know that some will assume I am using my kids to get a deer early. Sorry, hard to blame poor success on kids.
    My apologies to you....and I agree with you 100% ! Last year I took my son hunting on the mainland for a first time off the Island trip for both of us. He shot his first mule deer before I did...one of the happiest days of my life ! Those who don't understand that are missing what it means to be parent all together!

No reason to get pissed off, imo.
    The OP is just bringing up a "conversation".
    Yes, based on his/hers experiences of late, which obviously is their opinion.
    But I do think there is room for conversation on this.

All that being said, no matter when the opening is, a soon as a couple of gunshots go off, game becomes wary.
    Should kids have the 1st crack, I think so, but then I was never much for opening day hunts anyways,
    (I like to give the game a chance!).