View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the Junior Hunt

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its great... I get to teach my kid how to hunt

207 69.93%
  • Its silly...for many reasons

71 23.99%
  • who cares... I always get my deer so I don't care.

18 6.08%
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Re: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    So Curt, with one stroke of a brush you have just called every dad on this board a POACHER! Nice buddy! Elkhound, Coach, myself and all the other dad's on HBC who have ever taken their kids hunting and seen success, we are all POACHERS! And because of other remarks on this thread, you can then conclude that we are also Pieces of Shit for taking our kids out hunting as well. WOW!!! I can tell you, I do not have my head up my ass. I am not the exception. I am the Norm! There is no greater experience in hunting than to watch your kids take their first animals. I have killed some pretty darn big trophy class animals over the years. Some that I have put a ton of sweat, blood and tears for years to see through to fruition. And I can tell you, those hunts and animals Pale in comparison to the hunts I've had with both my kids! This is all part of passing on the Hunting Heritage that has been passed along to us. If you don't get that, then you better hang up your hunting gear and give up hunting. If you are so jealous of some kid's success' that you need to call all dad's 'POACHERS' then you better just quit because you have lost sight of what truly is important in hunting.
    Well said Dana couldn't agree more

First year my son hunted deer he was 11. We hunted the early youth season in Region 3 and saw some absolute incredible deer. One buck was flirting with the 190 inch typical mark. The buck was feeding in a high elevation cutblock. We stalked closer and closer. 40 yards with the iron sighted 30-30 lever gun, a family heirlom from my father-in-law who passed before my son was born. The buck was feeding broadside with head down and no clue we were there. Set up the shooting sticks and got my son set up. No go. He was too short to see the buck's vitals due to the tall fireweed. Okay, lets get closer. 30 yards, 20 yards. Nope, still can't see above the fireweed. There was a big stump at about 12 yards. That should get him high enough to see. Mover ever so slowly. Inching closer and closer. At 15 yards all hell broke loose as we pretty much stepped on another buck that was bedded. When he bolted up, the big boy took off for the timber. I yelled, 'Hey Buck! Hey Buck!' to get him to stop. It worked, he stopped ever so briefly just before entering the timber. Turned around and there was the buck we stepped on standing broadside at 20 yards, a young nontypical with trash and double droppers. I said to my son 'You can take that one.' He said to me, 'No dad, we're hunting big bucks!' We both laughed so loud the young buck clued in and bounded for the safety of the timber.

The benefit of having a youth only season is there is no reason for anyone else to be carrying a weapon other than maybe a bow. You go out for a youth hunt and you’re trying to get you kid on a deer, it’s not about filling tags.
    Probably the season that had the possibility of abuse was the youth / senior elk hunts, and again this could be limited to only the hunter if it’s a limited season for them only. I have heard of prosecutions particularly over 1100m elevations.
    If a dad uses his kids to fill their tags - what is he teaching them? I teach my kids the difference between right and wrong, about respect and if another wants to teach his kids by his bad example it will catch up eventually either from the law or his kids respect because I think the majority of people think the same way I do from what I’m hearing.
    i checked just a minute ago and (whew) and my heads not up my ass!!
    =curt;2043662]Unfortunately I agree with the original post Dana you are the exception NOT the norm the fact is many dads do pull the trigger thats just reality and if you believe otherwise then your head is respectfully up your list ass! [/QUOTE]

Then a TON of us here have our heads up our butts because thats not what we have seen. EVER I seriously dont believe its as bad as what some people here are making it out to be. Yes there will always be poachers. Wish we could curb that somehow. But I dont think Dana and other fathers here on HBC are the exceptions. WE ARE THE NORM[/QUOTE]

A week or so later found us hunting the GOS in region 7 which also had a youth antlerless season at the same time. My son went for a quad ride with his grandpa one afternoon and ended up harvesting his first deer, a whitetail doe, with his grandpa's 30-06. They came back to camp to get help and the entire family, including cousins, assisted in the recovery. You can't get any better hunting memories than this.

We hunted hard the rest of the early season for a mule deer buck in Region 3. Saw some great ones but they just were a little too quick. Finally with the start of the late season, my son decided to lower his standards and harvested his first 4 point muley buck. Were were hiking some steep fir ridges and this guy presented himself. Nothing like coming out heavy with your kid's first buck in your pack.

The point of these posts is to show that kids can indeed hunt and see their own success. To think it is dad doing the shooting is nothing short of ignorant. Of the years my kids were legal to hunt the youth seasons, I betcha we only saw success under those seasons less than 50% of the time, but both my kids saw success in regular seasons. I took the youth season off of work some years, and we still didn't see the success then. But with each time out, they were learning and with learning comes confidence and skill. The Hunting Heritage is passed along. I posted all these adventures as my kids were growing up. For the sole purpose to encourage other parents to do the same. Get out there, take your kid to the outdoors. Let them learn the art and skills that we hold so near and dear to our hearts. This is the only way for hunting to have a future! Funny though, many times the blessed internet hunting sites had many who were jealous of my kid's success'. I was accussed of shooting my kid's tags. I was told I was a worthless piece of $hit as a dad because I kept it real and shared stories of their failures as well. And the worst attacks came when my then 12 year old son did a backpack mountain goat hunt and shot a nanny. The keyboard warriors swarmed. Heck, even 10+ years later, some of those keyboard warriors still bring it up. Hahaha! By far that hunt topped my list as the Best hunt I've ever been on. I was so proud of my son for being such a tropper and filling his LEH on a legal goat. The memories are very strong when I look up on the mountain goat mounted up on the wall. Those with no kids don't have a clue of the raw emotion looking at that goat brings these many years later.

Last edited by dana; 10-22-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Awesome photo's dana and stories too, keep em coming, you got the history of the Rivers --
    Jelly - The History of the Hunt -- Awesome stuff folks ! -->

First year my son hunted deer he was 11. We hunted the early youth season in Region 3 and saw some absolute incredible deer. One buck was flirting with the 190 inch typical mark. The buck was feeding in a high elevation cutblock. We stalked closer and closer. 40 yards with the iron sighted 30-30 lever gun, a family heirlom from my father-in-law who passed before my son was born. The buck was feeding broadside with head down and no clue we were there. Set up the shooting sticks and got my son set up. No go. He was too short to see the buck's vitals due to the tall fireweed. Okay, lets get closer. 30 yards, 20 yards. Nope, still can't see above the fireweed. There was a big stump at about 12 yards. That should get him high enough to see. Mover ever so slowly. Inching closer and closer. At 15 yards all hell broke loose as we pretty much stepped on another buck that was bedded. When he bolted up, the big boy took off for the timber. I yelled, 'Hey Buck! Hey Buck!' to get him to stop. It worked, he stopped ever so briefly just before entering the timber. Turned around and there was the buck we stepped on standing broadside at 20 yards, a young nontypical with trash and double droppers. I said to my son 'You can take that one.' He said to me, 'No dad, we're hunting big bucks!' We both laughed so loud the young buck clued in and bounded for the safety of the timber.
    You Nailed it Steve!

Everyone should ask themselves, did you need a Youth Season to make that happen? Maybe spending the"Whole Season" together is the true Youth Season?

I spent most of my early hunting in some of the most amazing places packing the lunch without a rifle on my shoulder, awaiting for the day that I could pull the trigger.
    I dragged out many bucks with my older brother, and learned more about the hunt than many my age. When the day came that I could carry a rifle on my shoulder and I
    called myself a hunter. Those were the best moments of my hunting life. It wasn't a date on the calendar the branded me a hunter, it was the way of life that was created.

All I can say is "GO OUT AND HUNT" and thats all.............

We hunted hard the rest of the early season for a mule deer buck in Region 3. Saw some great ones but they just were a little too quick. Finally with the start of the late season, my son decided to lower his standards and harvested his first 4 point muley buck. Were were hiking some steep fir ridges and this guy presented himself. Nothing like coming out heavy with your kid's first buck in your pack.

Nice deer !
    Makes me wonder if this four point would be up to certain people’s standards on this thread ? Is that next ? The size of the four point ? ( sorry for the troll).
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Can you share a link to the goat write up dana? Good points and stories! And just want to remind all that the dads that take kids hunting in youth season are the same dads that don't fill their tags sometimes in regular season because they don't want their kids to lose the opportunity for a deer. I didnt shoot a deer last year because i wanted to make sure my kids had the opportunity. My daughter got her buck but i still ended the season with a couple of tags in my pocket. No regrets because my kids deer was a way cooler experience than anything I have ever shot.