View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the Junior Hunt

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its great... I get to teach my kid how to hunt

207 69.93%
  • Its silly...for many reasons

71 23.99%
  • who cares... I always get my deer so I don't care.

18 6.08%
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Re: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

I support youth seasons for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by antlerking View Post
    The youth season is not 30 days it’s 10 days! What the youth get is to be able to take any buck not restricted to 4 point only for the additional 20 days! I am in full support of that ! If I had it my way (not entitled) they would be the only ones allowed to harvest a yearling buck all season long! How do you think my 12 or 13 year olds feel when they pass up the same bucks all season long to have some entitled hunter roll up and shoot them off moms tit? The youth season is not the problem, it’s people that think to have a successful hunt you have to kill something!
    Ya should have a look at region 8 mule deer season.

Did your dad shoot your deer for you? My daughter certainly shot her first deer, a whitetail buck in later November. She also shot her first mule deer this season, her second. She got it on the first day of youth season. Both one shot kills, mainly because she has been shooting since she was 6 years old. For you to imply that most of the deer shot during youth season are shot by the fathers implies that this is how it went down for you. The purpose of the very short(September1-9 not the 30th) is to get the youth out there when there isn't so many hunters in the field and not as much pressure. I think the youth season is a spectacular idea. Not many of us fathers are poachers you know.

Pretty tough to debate some subjects online with a couple of posts. Probably not even worth trying. I'm sure it's an interesting conversation to have over a couple of beers but words are only part of a conversation and its too easy to get caught up with a couple of words. Should have stayed on point with a short thought rather than getting pissed off. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by RJHunter; 10-17-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    I've benefited from both my kids having a youth season and even now they are both grown feel it should stay to get more young kids out there. As to the dad doing the trigger work. Those guys should be beat with a pound of their own shit! If the meat is that important go buy it, it's cheaper. I and a few dad's I know would NEVER make my kid lie about their hunting experiences. We have passed on a few animals that Dad could have shot, but the kid would have to lie about it for the rest of their lives. It's 9 days at the beginning of the season that often overlaps with the returning to school, in most cases high school which means more as they get older. If you can't handle the competition, take up needlepoint!!
    I second that sentiment! The youth season is short, we have more pressing issues. Youth open is not the cause if lower deer populations, habit loss and an increase in predation are more important.
    Tight groups Safe hunts

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    See, this is where I have issues with this site.
    The OP just brought up a "discussion".
    Yes, it is based on "his opinion" and experiences.
    Cant we just leave it to a discussion, rather then put someone down for putting up a thread/post?
    Why start heading into the "bashing" part over it?
    If your fine with the Youth Season, just say so, and/or give reason why.
    If you have concern's, then say so.
    I just don't understand why so many times things have to get "personal"?
    Because all he gives is his opinion... and hunting to me and most is a way of life !!! Not a fricken privlage . So ya, people will get personal.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Quote Originally Posted by jtred View Post
    Did your dad shoot your deer for you? My daughter certainly shot her first deer, a whitetail buck in later November. She also shot her first mule deer this season, her second. She got it on the first day of youth season. Both one shot kills, mainly because she has been shooting since she was 6 years old. For you to imply that most of the deer shot during youth season are shot by the fathers implies that this is how it went down for you. The purpose of the very short(September1-9 not the 30th) is to get the youth out there when there isn't so many hunters in the field and not as much pressure. I think the youth season is a spectacular idea. Not many of us fathers are poachers you know.
    I’m with you 100%
    My son shot his deer on my tag this year and last year, two years of no deer for me. I’m OK with this and I would never take that experience away from my kid, never ! Its his time to hunt before he goes back to school. There’s a lot more to hunting then counting points. It’s a way of life.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Interesting discussion.

I obviously have support for the youth hunt and as most know we were very successful this year.
    I agree. Youth season is only 10days. But they do get a chance for any buck for all of Sept and Oct.

To say that a child cant get out of a truck and shoot a deer is ridiculous. My 2 youngest kids did it this season.
    My daughter was not comfortable on the first buck. So my son got behind the rifle and pulled the trigger at 78yrds. We were lucky the buck stuck around.
    Same morning my daughter got hers at less than 50yrds. She was much more comfortable.
    The other 2 youths got their first bucks but not jumping out of the truck. And 2 teenagers dragged one of them a whole km back to the truck.

We saw a ton of deer and a ton of bucks this year. Region 8. One weekend we saw 14 bucks. My daughter passed on 3 bucks as they were too far for her. I cringed knowing I could whack them. But we watched them walk. One of the other youths Alora...... well she passed on 3 bucks before hers as well. Situation and ranges not comfortable for her. Steeleco and I were both there and again deer would have been down.

My 16 year old cancelled many tags of mine her first couple years till she got her own licence. I was more than happy to let her.

I'm sure there are dads that poach their kids deer. But I've never seen it. What a disgrace and what a horrible lie they must make their kids do for the rest of their lives.

Like another poster. My daughter had a doe draw this year. She too passed up many small bucks. She put a limit on herself. 3 pt or better. If she didnt get one. Then she had a doe draw to fall back on. Her perseverance and self control paid off. 4x4 for her.

So. I love the youth season. It let's them be able to get out and have a chance at less spooky deer. My youngest 2 were only successful because those deer stuck around for so long.

I have much more to say but no point really. I dont think many will change their minds as we all have our opinions made up already.

But I will say this. If you see a dad poaching deer in a youth season and dont report it. You are a huge part of the problem.

to take something like "dad shooting the deer under the youth license" as a point of contention...well its like saying poaching is bad, bc that is exactly what is happening if/when that happens.

Are you a parent? I am a father of 2 boys, I love to bring my kids out hunting, that being said I would never teach them that bending or breaking the rules is OK. They need to learn that shit on their own. ROFL OMG I am kidding! Seriously though, I can't wait to watch my kids punch a tag, whether it be mine or theirs, and I certainly don't need them to lie about who shot what just so a deer can be harvested. I eat mule deer tag soup most years simply because its hard to shoot a book buck after you have punched a 2 point!

There comes a point in a hunters life (for me anyway) where it is more enjoyable to watch my friends knock down a deer that I helped them get than to be the shooter myself. Maybe its a parent thing, maybe its a stage that I am fortunate enough to be at because I have shot a bunch of deer...no wall hangers yet, thats what Im holding out for now, so I'd rather take my boys out, or take my friends out and let them punch tags all day long until we see something that I instantly call dibs on!

So to the point at hand...I really doubt there are a ton of parents out there taking shots and asking their kids to lie in case they bump into a CO. First off my kids are a terrible lier and if they were asked repeatedly they would cave and I would be in big trouble. And if they are old enough to lie to law enforcement repeatedly they are definitely old enough to be the trigger man. Also, no one posts stories of shots missed
    Last edited by Darksith; 10-17-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Apparently there is a lot of you guys that have never enjoyed the youth hunt
    My son practiced his shooting regularly and has never had a problem shooting his own game
    sometimes there is a little coaching as to when to shoot or to calm down but has always done it himself
    There is no way in hell he or I would want it any other way
    I have hunted with several fathers and have never heard of anyone shooting there kids game
    to think there is a shortage of game due to the youth season is ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    Let me be the first to congratulate you on being willing to stick your neck out and voice your opinion. Especially when you know that you will be crucified for this. I wish that we as Canadians would be willing to be so bold as to voice our opinions even though we know that there may be backlash. I am going to stop writing now and get a bag of popcorn...
    Thank you for having the balls to say and print what many of us have been saying under our breaths. I and many friends agree with you. I learned to hunt during the same season as my father. My sons learned to hunt during the same seasons. They got deer. They got grouse. They got to hunt as much as they wanted for the most part.
    You are absolutely right that we keep putting more and more pressure on a dwindling resource and wonder why it is in trouble.
    I am retired and have (I'm told) lots of time on my hands. I know that I do not need a special season when I am a senior. We already have some of if not the most liberal hunting seasons in North America. If I cannot get a deer within the regular GOS hunting seasons, with the opportunity to hunt virtually every day, it's not the hunting season that needs work.
    Good on you to speak up!
    like, like, like.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"