View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the Junior Hunt

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its great... I get to teach my kid how to hunt

207 69.93%
  • Its silly...for many reasons

71 23.99%
  • who cares... I always get my deer so I don't care.

18 6.08%
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Re: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    I hear a lot of stories about dads blasting their kids deer for them. A lot of big bucks around in early September. I didnt have a youth season...I got skunked like other people...I still hunt. Todays youth is different though with entitlement issues and focus on technology stuff and now sitting around and smoking weed all day.
    I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at you...
    I suppose there are massive amounts of kids sitting around getting drunk all day right???

Why don't you think before you speak.

You may be right about entitlement issues but all I see here is jealousy and resentment.

My granddaughter,aged 13 shot her first deer in ‘youth season’,then proudly took the picture to class on the first day of school.My hunting partner brought his 14 year old daughter along this year...she insisted on full camo gear which she wore to school and on her return,including the video of her walking with a rifle over her shoulder and then cutting the deers throat and gutting it...small concessions were made to ensure her privacy in a toilet and shower.

Anything we can do to recruit new hunters ,especially young ladies to the sport gets the thumbs up from me...and if token ‘youth seasons’serve to get them out,so much the better.With all the political correctness going against us,we need more young people ,especially girls in the field to counter the current political tide.
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 10-17-2018 at 08:04 AM.

In my opinion the families that use the youth season properly consist of parents that would take the time to take their kids hunting with or without it

Is it good for kids getting into hunting yes is it a huge game changer not in my opinion

So we are talking about a 9 day opening here, in most cases, and for bucks only. Not sure why the youth in reg 8 still get 30 days for mule deer, must not be much impact.
    If an animal gets downed, the adult cuts a tag and is on his/her way to filling a bag limit or may be done for the year.

Then remember that the hunter harvest of any game is deemed to be part of that portion of the population that is surplus to the needs of breeding and birthing of a new crop of critters
    Hunters are not the reason for wildlife declines, real or perceived

Then consider how the early hunting and or harassment can actually be a benefit to game later in the season due to their increased waryness

All this before considering the benefits to having youth involved in the activity

Sorry that the activity spoils your quality of hunt but I am all for it.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Growing up on the island in the 90's did not always have the best deer hunting, but my dad always got me out. I was obsessed from the time I could walk. I never got to see the big timber that filled the whole valley, or see 100 deer in a day, or hunt 2 feet of snow in early november, but I got to experience it all through Dad's stories. I know every spot on every road where he'd saw deer, shot deer, heard deer, smelled deer, etc. I loved it. Not sure why, but I was hooked. His hunting success went for a complete shit after he started taking me out. There were days he'd get me up at 5am and I remember saying, "no you go without me today Dad, I want you to get something". First deer we ever got together I was 10, next deer I got to deal with, my first, I was 14. I feel sorry for the kids that need to get something in their first outings or they give it up right away. There are hunters who like to hunt, hunters who love to hunt, and hunters who live to hunt, and I don't know if a youth season will change what category kids place themselves in, but if it helps, I have to support it. We certainly need the government to acknowledge hunters as as viable income source, otherwise, they stop caring. Regardless of the seasons, A big thankyou to the Moms and Dads, Big Brothers and Sisters, Grandmas and Grandpas, Aunts and Uncles, friends and family and all those who take the time, to take someone hunting.
    Rambling over.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    In my opinion the families that use the youth season properly consist of parents that would take the time to take their kids hunting with or without it

Is it good for kids getting into hunting yes is it a huge game changer not in my opinion
    X2 One of my granddaughters will hopefully be out with her dad or myself next year. She will be going regardless and has been out enough already to know you don't always get deer but she's learning how you get a deer.

I remember one year, I must have been entering grade 1, if not kindergarten?, and I absolutely refused to go to school, cause I wanted to go with my dad on a hunt to Alaska Highway.
    I will give my dad this, he took me!, and that must of been hard for him to take me at that age, and know his hunt wasn't going to be what he thought, but, I did walk every step he wanted to take, and I outwalked everyone. (thanks dad)

So, that is coming from an adult now who appreciated and remembers that to this day!, so there is a youths perspective.

That being said, I agree that fathers are taking "liberates" with the "youth hunt".
    I heard that the Pitt River Elk LEH permit was held by a youngster, but much of the time, the father did the hunting while kid sat in the cabin.

I also hear about this type of scenario all around the province, just like the zone x leh for elk in the EK etc.
    So, you do have a point, and it is fair that you bring this up, and have an opinion that justifies conversation!

I agree with the Bow Folks as well, it should be open to them at the same time.
    The reason you don't see the deer etc, is that by the time you and me get out there, the gunshots have rung, and the wildlife know its "Game on".

I do understand that many kids have the attention span of about a sunrise, nothing longer, thus the season to get them interested, so I agree with the season on that point, s we need recruitment, otherwise we as hunters will become such a "minority" when it comes to preserving the heritage of hunting, that we will become an unheard voice in the ring of politics etc, and might just end up being permanently banned, so consider that.

And it is hard to prove that fathers are doing the shooting (but I agree many are), unless you have "lots of video".
    They can be charged by calling RAPP, but being convicted of the offense is very difficult.

I guess we can all just admit that it happens, and start to say "hey, we know its happening, and we are keeping our Eye's open to report".
    That's about all we can do, is to admit that people are taking "liberties" with that season, and just stay aware.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I'm not against a youth season if that's what it takes to get today's youngsters interested.
    As other have pointed out though, before there was a special youth season, dedicated parents
    included their children when going hunting, school or not. I was one of them, as was my other
    brothers. I took both my son and daughter along while they were still in diapers. They looked
    forward to going all year long. They didn't need a special season. They wanted to go even if they
    didn't get anything, or even a chance to do so.We certainly didn't need a 'special season' to
    encourage us to go. Times change though, and today's society of self entitlement, instant gratification,
    and coddling doesn't help. The one bright side is the new regs pertaining to reduced total bag limits.
    Even with the parental cheaters, they still have to cut a tag and that is it for that species for the season.

when i pointed first grouse to my son to shoot..and he got it down...i was very happy i did so.. so was my boy..i always remember that ...so his first deer..memories what never dissapear..

Why does there have to be a guaranteed conviction with video etc. or it's not worth reporting someone...so therefore the season should be taken away ??? I don't understand that attitude, I think a parent who gets a phone call from a CO saying hey we've had a report you like to fill your kids tags during youth season, if so you should be ashamed of yourself, might actually make a few guys stop doing that....a good shaming lecture from the right CO, would definataly make some guys think twice about pushing their kid out of the way to blast a friggin spike...I mean come on is this really such a huge plague of a problem that the youth season must be stopped !?!

Last edited by Islander30; 10-17-2018 at 11:07 AM.