View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the Junior Hunt

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its great... I get to teach my kid how to hunt

207 69.93%
  • Its silly...for many reasons

71 23.99%
  • who cares... I always get my deer so I don't care.

18 6.08%
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Re: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

I've benefited from both my kids having a youth season and even now they are both grown feel it should stay to get more young kids out there. As to the dad doing the trigger work. Those guys should be beat with a pound of their own shit! If the meat is that important go buy it, it's cheaper. I and a few dad's I know would NEVER make my kid lie about their hunting experiences. We have passed on a few animals that Dad could have shot, but the kid would have to lie about it for the rest of their lives. It's 9 days at the beginning of the season that often overlaps with the returning to school, in most cases high school which means more as they get older. If you can't handle the competition, take up needlepoint!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I think the youth season is great, if I had my own kids it'd even be better. As said we need the youth more interested in the outdoors than the video games and wondering what gender they are.
    There's always going to be some people that bend the rules, we don't shut all hunting doen because of it. If Dad wants to poke a spike of the road with the kid riding shotgun, well it ain't right but he's the one that's gotta live with it HA. I don't hunt the fsr, and save for the alpine I could care less about deer hunting until November. Just practicing and stretching the legs before that imo, let the youth have at the young dumb bucks...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I personally think the youth season should be there, but I agree that it should be shortened to the first 12 to 15 days of Sept...it is good to start the season in the sense that it is a good way to adjust the deer to hunting pressure before the main GOS starts...dads who shoot deer for their kids should be ashamed of themselves, and should be reported as mentioned if at all possible...btw in my part of reg 8 myself and my group are seeing good numbers of deer this year..

I hear a lot of stories about dads blasting their kids deer for them. A lot of big bucks around in early September. I didnt have a youth season...I got skunked like other people...I still hunt. Todays youth is different though with entitlement issues and focus on technology stuff and now sitting around and smoking weed all day.

I think the idea of a youth season is great. Better yet make it a season for those that have never cut a tag period. Let the newbies kill the road side spikes. Unfortunately there are the cheater, the dads taking the kids out in their pajamas. The same guys that haul their wives around for the extra tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Its called being your school work on the hunt just like any other vacation. It works out great did it every year as a kid and usually for 10-14days not 7

I have 2 kids and can tell you there is no lack of pro D days and holidays in school as well

Cool that you could do this. But the usual kid does not have this opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    The same guys that haul their wives around for the extra tags.
    I call them "tags of convenience" Chatted with some moose hunters one time that had a bull down and were racing back to camp to get Granny because she had a draw and tag.

When I started hunting we never had a youth season! But i had a father that made sure he always took the time to take me hunting. Whether it was just a morning hunt for ducks or a week long adventure chasing deer. He also gave up many of his own opportunities on game so i could get a chance to be successful. That takes alot of patients. The youth season can be a great tool that takes alot of pressure off the parent as they aren't allowed to shoot or need to look for a 4 point. Time spent hunting with your kids is some of the best time you can spend with them. If the government is giving us a special season for the occasion then im glad they recognize the importance aswell. Or we can bla bla bla about all the bad and loose yet another season. The way some people are talking lately about low game numbers and how quickly they start pointing fingers really makes me scratch my head.

Yup. I am in grade 12 and have taken a week of to go elk/deer hunting since I was 10. A fair amount of "kids" in school I know take time off to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    Cool that you could do this. But the usual kid does not have this opportunity.
    That actually depends on how their parents choose to raise there kids. My son has the option every year but prefers just to bird hunt a little around home. Most of my friends with kids who hunt take the kids a week or more every year

Its actually easier these days because kids get way less homework