View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the Junior Hunt

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its great... I get to teach my kid how to hunt

207 69.93%
  • Its silly...for many reasons

71 23.99%
  • who cares... I always get my deer so I don't care.

18 6.08%
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Re: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

My apologies Curt

I meant to reply to your post but I hit the wrong button and edited it with my comment inserted. Not sure how I did that

Then a TON of us here have our heads up our butts because thats not what we have seen. EVER I seriously dont believe its as bad as what some people here are making it out to be. Yes there will always be poachers. Wish we could curb that somehow. But I dont think Dana and other fathers here on HBC are the exceptions. WE ARE THE NORM

Last edited by Elkhound; Today at 05:01 PM.
    Last edited by Elkhound; 10-22-2018 at 05:02 PM.

the whole point of the youth hunt is to match new and unsure hunters with less skiddish game. the first youth i saw fill his tag took 3 chances at a deer before he pulled the trigger....that was the whole point... he was challenged by prey that an experienced hunter would have shot 10 times over...they need those opportunities to go through all the mental steps taken before pulling the trigger...That is the awesome part about the junior hunt IMHO

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

First, I've expressed my opinion like eveyone else concerning the special youth 9 day-month scenarios
    but I'll add that even though those that are enthusiastically in favour of it might not mean it, many are
    making it sound as if it's their only chance at getting game. There's absolutely no reason youths can't
    be out there hunting during the rest of legal seasons like all other hunters. Like just about every parent
    out there hunting, they'll learn as they go. The emphasis toward recruiting and encouraging youth isn't
    only during a week or so, it's much longer. It shouldn't be only about instant gratification, it should be
    about the whole concept of hunting as well. I know of youngsters that went out and under the guidance
    of their dad were talked through the aiming and shooting, had their picture taken with their trophy,
    and then that was it. It was all alien to them, they did as their dad told them, but they really didn't fully
    understand what had transpired and were overwhelmed by it all. Many didn't want to go again.
    Like so many others have said, when they were very young they couldn't wait to go out with their dad, granddad,
    or anyone else if only someone would allow them to tag along. If they got to shoot something that was a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    the whole point of the youth hunt is to match new and unsure hunters with less skiddish game. the first youth i saw fill his tag took 3 chances at a deer before he pulled the trigger....that was the whole point... he was challenged by prey that an experienced hunter would have shot 10 times over...they need those opportunities to go through all the mental steps taken before pulling the trigger...That is the awesome part about the junior hunt IMHO
    No kidding hey ! I think getting a 10-12 yr old lined for the shot should be a sport in itself....hard on dads nerves I'll tell ya....especially when it doesn't work out !

no worries at all!

well we all have our opinions and ill stick by mine no special seasons we all hunt together I'd like to see 4 point season all year too give these young bucks an opportunity to live and learn as well if we have a mule deer decline why are will so willing to shoot all the up and comers!?

So Curt, with one stroke of a brush you have just called every dad on this board a POACHER! Nice buddy! Elkhound, Coach, myself and all the other dad's on HBC who have ever taken their kids hunting and seen success, we are all POACHERS! And because of other remarks on this thread, you can then conclude that we are also Pieces of Shit for taking our kids out hunting as well. WOW!!! I can tell you, I do not have my head up my ass. I am not the exception. I am the Norm! There is no greater experience in hunting than to watch your kids take their first animals. I have killed some pretty darn big trophy class animals over the years. Some that I have put a ton of sweat, blood and tears for years to see through to fruition. And I can tell you, those hunts and animals Pale in comparison to the hunts I've had with both my kids! This is all part of passing on the Hunting Heritage that has been passed along to us. If you don't get that, then you better hang up your hunting gear and give up hunting. If you are so jealous of some kid's success' that you need to call all dad's 'POACHERS' then you better just quit because you have lost sight of what truly is important in hunting.

As long as all rules from the Ministry in the BC Hunting Regs and the LEH or GOS are adhered to -- Only the tag for thee hunter can be shot by thee hunter!
    -- No one else can pull on another's tag, son, daughter, step child or a new hunter -- Father or assistant --> all shoot their own tag!
    Jel -- If all the rules and regulations are followed to the T -- then this is hunting -- this teaches the child that following the BC Regs and LEH are the proper things to do!
    Last edited by Jelvis; 10-22-2018 at 05:07 PM. Reason: BC has some tuff dudes

Jelvis, Jr Hunters can cut their dad's tags if they have a Jr Licence. Happens often. Dad's sacrificing their own tags to start their childern out on the right foot!

When I take my son out, he is the only one carrying a rifle. He has his .243, I carry shooting sticks, the pack and a pair of binoculars to help him spot. This is his first year and he came close once but couldn't quite get set up before the deer walked off into thick timber and took his shot away. We will be back out later in November or next weekend hopefully and hope to connect then. He is very patient and wants to make sure he has a great shot not just a shot at a deer. As for the youth season, being on the island makes it that much tougher to find deer at times, those little blacktails are sneaky. Having a youth antlerless season gives the youngsters a much better chance as the brush is super thick and hard to get around in with full sized legs. The grouse hunting is sparse so if they are to be successful the youth doe is definitely the best chance they have.