View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the Junior Hunt

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its great... I get to teach my kid how to hunt

207 69.93%
  • Its silly...for many reasons

71 23.99%
  • who cares... I always get my deer so I don't care.

18 6.08%
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Re: My 2 cents on the Junior Hunt.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Gotta invest in youth, they are the future that will perpetuate our sport.
    Simple as that.
    Agree but this also needs to be done in a fashion that passes on good ethics

Without this you can create the demise of hunting

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    If you're worried about a sustainable resource, focus your efforts on areas and objectives that will make more deer. Kids shooting a handful of surplus bucks before school starts isn't something that needs to be addressed.

If people spent HALF - that's right, HALF as much time getting on their elected officials about habitat, predators etc. as they did logging in to things like Facebook and HBC complaining about meaningless points like 4 point and youth seasons, we would be so much further ahead than we are now.

People want to know why the USA has such game rich areas? It is really simple. They fund wildlife management, they burn the heck out the country, they protect winter range (full closures, shed hunt closures etc.), and they kill predators. They harvest across all age classes and both sexes without silly antler point restrictions. Hunters don't waste their time complaining about stupid, meaningless points like folks up here love to do. We keep restricting seasons and game numbers keep getting worse.
    Sad part is, I believe there re many that "have tried" to get "political side" to listen!
    Even I tried my best, face to face with Heyman, running up to the election in fact, to listen.
    Now, you would think that a politician, running for election, right at that point in time, would listen!?
    Not an F'n chance!
    No one is listening!
    They have their agendas, and they have "their votes" so as not to have to listen!
    That's the issue.
    So unless some of our "great bios'" start speaking up, I doubt anything will change with just letters.
    I(f we can swing the vote, to a point where it affects them, then hell ya, they will listen!
    That's why we need an "organization" that shows them "exactly that".
    So far however, we have sweet F*** all to have anyone bother to listen.
    That's my 2 cents on another "post on an HBC thread".

Why does an early season make any difference to teaching a younger person to hunt.? Hunting can be taught
    throughout the season. It’s also all about working hard get the game and appertaining what you killed for food.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Agree but this also needs to be done in a fashion that passes on good ethics

Without this you can create the demise of hunting
    Reality is you can't regulate ethics and morality.
    Those standards are set by individuals themselves.

Rules and regulations govern our lives.
    Some chose to comply, some don't.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    If you're worried about a sustainable resource, focus your efforts on areas and objectives that will make more deer. Kids shooting a handful of surplus bucks before school starts isn't something that needs to be addressed.

If people spent HALF - that's right, HALF as much time getting on their elected officials about habitat, predators etc. as they did logging in to things like Facebook and HBC complaining about meaningless points like 4 point and youth seasons, we would be so much further ahead than we are now.

People want to know why the USA has such game rich areas? It is really simple. They fund wildlife management, they burn the heck out the country, they protect winter range (full closures, shed hunt closures etc.), and they kill predators. They harvest across all age classes and both sexes without silly antler point restrictions. Hunters don't waste their time complaining about stupid, meaningless points like folks up here love to do. We keep restricting seasons and game numbers keep getting worse.
    It’s not just the US BC has fallen behind most of Canada as well

Right now BC hunters are divided and will remain so till those trying to push for change wake up and understand compromise is needed because hunters are a diverse group

I spent the last year looking at different groups as possible voice for BC hunters and change well it’s not there. I found egos, I found greed, I found disrespect for fellow hunters, I found some who crave revenge, I found heart with no organization but not a possible voice. Everyone had their own vision and figured everyone else would benifit from “Their way” but not one considers the different hunters of BC

I actually considered getting involved with one but the I seen their in fighting

So go ahead get mad about hunters not following your vision but maybe the issue is that you need to find a vision all BC hunters would be proud to stand for

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Reality is you can't regulate ethics and morality.
    Those standards are set by individuals themselves.

Rules and regulations govern our lives.
    Some chose to comply, some don't.
    I can’t argue with that and in all honesty I am just so sick of slobs so just want to limit their actions.

But I guess these sh!t fathers will pass their poor ethics with or without the youth season

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

The purpose of the youth season at the beginning of September is to get the youth out before all hell breaks loose with all the other hunters get turned loose on the 10th. It's less stressful and less pressure has been put on the animals so they are not as skittish.

With respect to adults shooting their kid's deer the reality is that even if there was no youth season those same individuals would be shooting the deer under their kid's license and tags but in GOS instead. Ethics aren't reliant on a specially designated season. How many guys shoot bucks that aren't 4 point the day before the start of or the day after the end of the any buck season? A dishonest person will always find ways to be dishonest.
    Cody: It's a pretty cool sidearm you got there. What is it?
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!
    Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Marvin: If there's one thing I know, it's women and covert operations.
    Frank: Marvin, that's two things.
    Han Cho Bai: No, grasshopper. It is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa Joe View Post
    The purpose of the youth season at the beginning of September is to get the youth out before all hell breaks loose with all the other hunters get turned loose on the 10th. It's less stressful and less pressure has been put on the animals so they are not as skittish.

With respect to adults shooting their kid's deer the reality is that even if there was no youth season those same individuals would be shooting the deer under their kid's license and tags but in GOS instead. Ethics aren't reliant on a specially designated season. How many guys shoot bucks that aren't 4 point the day before the start of or the day after the end of the any buck season? A dishonest person will always find ways to be dishonest.
    ^^^^ Bingo, so folks, if you see BS happening, just report it.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

What I can't understand is those that say "it's not the hunters that are responsible for the decline of animal numbers,
    it's habitant destruction and predators" Well, we humans are the top predator, plain and simple! Most of us are all
    for culling the predatory wolves, bears, coyotes, and even cougars, but we resist any reduction in our hunting opportunities.
    I've witnessed the decimation of dear populations in specific valleys by wolves...I've also seen deer populations almost
    wiped out by hunters in some areas as well. Each hunter doesn't think they are a problem when they take a couple of
    deer every year from an area and they'd be right if it wasn't for the other parade of hunters doing the same thing. A long
    time ago most hunters thought there was an ever lasting number of deer, moose, elk, and caribou...something like the
    proverbial purse, but like our salmons and over fishing, if the predators, which includes us, keep taking more than what
    can be re-produced you are a big part of the problem. Having a short youth season (9 days) is much more reasonable than
    having one a whole month long. People fail to realize that if a youth isn't able to get something during those 9 days it's not
    the end of their chances, they still have the rest of the general open season just like everyone else.

Lew I have no problem shutting it down if that would help
    this would of coarse have be all user groups not one group at a time
    i still do not believe shortening the youth season will do any help at all to the decline of ungulates
    If it is that bad that we need to shorten a youth season ,it should be closed to all user groups .