Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4pt Alpine success/got cowboy with a cougar

Post 4pt Alpine success/got cowboy with a cougar

Hunt folks been off hbc for a while couldn’t remember password and came back to like 19000 unread posts and a full inbox.

Anyways had a great season so far. Hit the alpine on sept 11 for 2 days thinking would be great to get out there and try for an alpine 4 point. so pack up my gear and hit the road early on the 11th and get to my area in reg 8 around noon in time to do some shooting, make sure all is well etc etc Tweak some things and eventually start off on the 6km hike to base camp. On the way in I come to the top of a ridge and decide I’ll glass the far face and just get the lay of the land again and maybe catch a nice buck in the evening sun. Glass for 20min and don’t see much except for another truck, I think to myself ok another dude is here no problem this is a huge area room for two to party for sure and I keep naming my way up the trail and into the darkness.

Sure enough as im heading up I see the guy coming down, so now I’m thinking alright this guy already hunted the area, shit. I stop take my back pack off and wait for him to close the 150 yards between us then have a quick chat.

im not sure if he was giving me the run around but he said there was no deer here and no sign. Now I’ve been hunting long enough to know where the deers are at and I know there are deer around so I let him know my plans. I suggest to him a different spot where I have shot deer and seen deer in previous season and he was prettty stoked on that so I assume he went that way the next day and I went where he went.

Next day get out of camp and start hiking up and up and up to the top. Not seeing to much sign but there’s a little here and there, nothing to really get me fired up and focus on the area so I keep motoring along until I find some fresh sign that’s worth hunting.

Fastfoward to 4pm after a long day hiking I haven’t seen a thing and figure it’s time to start working back to camp and head home in the dark instead of the next morning. Just as I’m thinking this I come across some nice deer trails with some day old tracks and they are going in the direction I want to go so I slow it down and 10 min later bump two does on the other side of a downed tree. I’m thinking great in the zone now just gotta find the 4pt.

Im now slowly working my way through the edge of a burn which borders some steep tall grassland and open 10-15’ pines with lots of fallen junk everywhere. I start traversing down through the grass and there’s tracks everywhere small and large. I stop immediately and I’m looking right at a dawn to my right then a doe and another dawn right behind it at 20 yards. The doe is getting suspicious but can’t really tel what’s up and I’m just hoping it doesn’t sound off the alarm and send every deer within 1000 miles away from me. 5 min pass and I catch a glimpse of another two does 130 yards straight downhill from me. Even better I’m right in the deer now so keep my eyes peeled and hope this doe doesn’t make a sound

eventually she rounds up the fawns and walks behind a pine, which is when I make a quick move 20 yards down and away from the 3 deer and towards the does below me. I get 20 yards down and sure enough I see a huge body deer bedded in the grass with the other two does. I immediately sit down and shuffle behind a pine tree get the binos and range finder on it 109 yards but is it a 4. I can for sure see 3 on the far side the the dark antlers against its own body are making it really tough to make 4 points on the close side of the rack. And this doe he’s with is staring right at me, the buck doesn’t seem to care though. He gives me a quick look but he’s facing at an awkward angle for him to really take a look at me.

Still looking and eventually I confirm the 4th point so I pull out the .308 and chamber a round and sound off

the buck does not get up. Spine and lung shot I scramble down the hill pull out my knife and give it the ol Columbian neck tie to fisnish up that nice and quick https://i.imgur.com/FpVIGc9.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	811D6B4A-E714-4347-BE04-C478F23CD39F.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	7127  
    Last edited by Steelpulse; 10-16-2018 at 01:35 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 4pt Alpine success/got cowboy with a cougar

If anyone knows how to post pics that would be great. Mine are clearly coming out upside down.

And will I’ll post about the pack out and fighting off a cougar tomorrow and get some full size pics up. But can’t find any info on how to post full pics anymore

Upside down or not , nice deer congrats.

easiest way I found, without opening an Imgur account, is to upload to an HBC gallery, select the pic, then right click and 'copy image', then start new post and 'paste' it in
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Nice work on the nice buck. Looking forward to the tail of the kitty!
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Nice buck! Nothing quite like alpine hunting...thanks for sharing.
    Live to Hunt...

Nice one!!!!!!

Congrats and if anyone bugs you about the little upside down pic tell the to stand on their head and zoom in lol