Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first black bear!

My first black bear!

I killed a bear this weekend. It was one of the sadder things I have witnessed and one of the crueler things I have done. It was also thrilling and an intimate way to connect to the land and the animal.

So long as I continue to eat meat, I will continue to try to inhabit the mercilessness and inflict the violence necessary to end a life for food, and experience the other host of emotions that follow it. It seems only fair, to me, to honour the animals I eat in such a way.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My first black bear!

Ocean I read your little story and it was solid, I dug it. I'm an older hunter and you can tell by the way I write.
    You killed a bar, a blacky. Right on saigon. Congrats on your first bear!
    You have to pull the trigger, it's our choice.
    No more hard winters for that bruin.
    Jelly in Kammy --> you came, you saw, you pulled the trigger -- > Ted Nugent hunted also, Cat Scratch Fever --> It get's thee emotions stirred up <--
    Last edited by Jelvis; 10-16-2018 at 06:16 AM.

great job and it is human to feel sadness at the loss of life but there is nothing cruel about killing....causing or allowing an animal to suffer is cruel...ending the life quickly is the goal to avoid suffering

I hear you, I killed my first black bear this spring and it was one of the most dramatic deaths I’ve seen. The moan the bear let out as he was dying was heartbreaking. Immediately afterwards I didn’t think I’d ever hunt a bear again, but now I know I will. The meat was fantastic and despite being a difficult experience it was worthwhile. Congrats on your first bear!

Congratulations ! Sounds like you have the mind and soul of a true hunter. I admire your ethics.

I had a similar experience with my first black bear. It can make you question why you are out hunting. I have answered that question to myself and haven't looked back. You can't have the same respect buying your meat on styrofoam trays.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Nice congrats, you have a pic of the bear?

Congrads..and beautiful scenic photo.
    Cheers
    Steven

I would not worry so much about the killing aspect, all life feeds on other life, from single cell organisms up to the earths largest creatures. It is just our modern society that has distanced itself so far from nature and is repelled by the thought of killing, and death. Not so many generations ago it would have been a more fair playing field and you and your family would be constantly aware that the tables could turn and that bear could be eating you. I appreciate your empathy but nature does not recognize that emotion. I think it is more productive to be less concerned with the life of an individual animal and more concerned with the species and ecosystem as a whole. They are not the same thing.

Yours was a good post, this is my opinion only. Congrats on the bear.

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    I would not worry so much about the killing aspect, all life feeds on other life, from single cell organisms up to the earths largest creatures. It is just our modern society that has distanced itself so far from nature and is repelled by the thought of killing, and death. Not so many generations ago it would have been a more fair playing field and you and your family would be constantly aware that the tables could turn and that bear could be eating you. I appreciate your empathy but nature does not recognize that emotion. I think it is more productive to be less concerned with the life of an individual animal and more concerned with the species and ecosystem as a whole. They are not the same thing.

Yours was a good post, this is my opinion only. Congrats on the bear.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. On all fronts.