Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Region 6 moose GOS- who is in

Re: Region 6 moose GOS- who is in

More opportunities for a any bull would be cool. But I live up here and trying to compete with every other guy at work for the same days off would be an ass pain. I’m also not a huge fan of special weapons seasons, but that might just be because I’m jealous..... if it went the way TB mentioned it would definitely recruit more archery hunters......

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    He found a bull someone else shot and left and he reported it to be clear. You are correct not clear during a point restriction season don’t shoot but there are always those who screw up every year.

Management of moose should be according to the population and northern 6\7b are very different then southern 6/7a so should not be managed the same. Still would rather see an option outside of point restrictions for the waste issue

Too many negatives with antler restrictions vs the extra days of hunting in my opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    Regs should try to keep things simple. Less room for error. Bone on the head. Boom. No questions.

Counting points on moose. Lots of guys don't even know what size a point needs to be to count as a point!
    How many moose do you guys "Speculate" are shot and left every year in the Peace?? I am curious as to how you come up with any numbers at all....unless you both hunt and work up here and spend 100+ days in the bush?

Believe it or not, most hunters are honest and "don't shoot first count later".

After spending 6 years living here and hunting the area since the 3 on the brow first came into affect as well as spending 100+ days in the field working and hunting, I can honestly say I have come across one illegal bull shot and left. If there were multiple bulls being left in the bush, we would see the regs changed.....but it simple not true. I would care to bet there is more "2 pt" shot and left in region 7A and 5 than all bulls shot and left in 7B....and we have a two pint season as well!

What would be interesting would be to see how many illegal bulls are shot and taken home, but then again, we would have others bitching about the Cache Creek road block trying to catch those illegal bulls...…

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    Well, what used to be a 2 month season is now at 3 days. If you are headed out, do not wear your moose antler hat. I wonder if the shorter season will keep some folks at home? My hunting partner is recovering from getting beat up by a grizz but is still game to go, if we are successful I will have to do all the work!

Good luck to all!
    To the original OP....I did some scouting tonight at one of my old locations I hunted near Terrace 30 years ago and yes there is enough sign for me to head out early Sat AM.....mainly cause I just love using the excuse of the "opportunity" to sit in solitude. If it happens, great...if not, I tried. Good luck to all.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    To the original OP....I did some scouting tonight at one of my old locations I hunted near Terrace 30 years ago and yes there is enough sign for me to head out early Sat AM.....mainly cause I just love using the excuse of the "opportunity" to sit in solitude. If it happens, great...if not, I tried. Good luck to all.
    well, its never a waste of time. Good luck over there, i am not sure of success rates percentage-wise bit for sure many hunters will connect with bulls in the 3 day season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    How many moose do you guys "Speculate" are shot and left every year in the Peace?? I am curious as to how you come up with any numbers at all....unless you both hunt and work up here and spend 100+ days in the bush?

Believe it or not, most hunters are honest and "don't shoot first count later".

After spending 6 years living here and hunting the area since the 3 on the brow first came into affect as well as spending 100+ days in the field working and hunting, I can honestly say I have come across one illegal bull shot and left. If there were multiple bulls being left in the bush, we would see the regs changed.....but it simple not true. I would care to bet there is more "2 pt" shot and left in region 7A and 5 than all bulls shot and left in 7B....and we have a two pint season as well!

What would be interesting would be to see how many illegal bulls are shot and taken home, but then again, we would have others bitching about the Cache Creek road block trying to catch those illegal bulls...…

Cheers

SS
    I agree most do make a solid effort on counting points and only pull the trigger on legal a animal

When I speak of issues with point restrictions I am not specifying the peace or even moose for that matter. I would not bet on reg changes over these kind of issues either

No expert on the peace and have not spent a lot of time hunting there. Yes I have friends who live there and grown up there their whole life. They do find the odd moose, elk, and mule deer that does not make point restrictions but this is not every year. It happens how often I have no idea

I was actually given the number of moose that were reported shot/found not meeting restrictions for one season in the past 7a or 7a/b combined I can’t remember. It was much higher then I would have expected almost 250 if memory is correct

I know for a fact one region in southern BC a few years back had more bulls that did not meet restrictions the legal bulls taken

Short MD in 3-32 was enough of an issue one year to get an article in the paper

Been given enough examples over the years I don’t care for the point restrictions management. People are not perfect neither is the system

Before you make a statement ?ing this go do the research yourself and reach your own conclusions I am not asking you to believe me

You enjoy the extra days it gives and I can understand that. I don’t like point restrictions in general and that is my opinion

Enjoy you’re season the peace is a nice place to hunt

Good luck to everyone. Stay safe and straight shooting!

Cow and calf seen this morning but no antlers could be grown

Going to hunt tomorrow and Monday morning with the inlaws but also have the late draw in 6-08 along with a goat tag.

Helped a neighbor track a bull he shot on oct 18th just outside of smithers. There were two bulls hanging out together both good size bulls and no cows around that he saw. Weather is sunny and high of 11C for next couple days - what a great time to get out and enjoy the outside before the long winter!

Pretty warm out

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    Pretty warm out
    Wont be many moose shot with weather like this. Which will result in many hunters saying "Theres no moose out there".