Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Region 6 moose GOS- who is in

Re: Region 6 moose GOS- who is in

ya definitely not blaming hunters, just trying to spread us out to have better opportunity for all.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    ya but you don't have to open every region or MU. If you opened 6, parts of 7A and 7B at the same time, it would spread out the hunters. Just talking out loud anyway.
    agreed. Some overlap would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I was also told poor calf recruitment was another factor but this could be BS because of the source I heard it from

Those regions could not take it I agree
    I definately think there is truth to poor calg recruitment. All the cows I saw on our leh hunt were solo. The one that had another with it turned out to be a spike fork that one of my.partners took.

It was fought against because some viewed that change as taking away opportunity lol

Long point restriction seasons are believed to provide better opportunities over short less restrictive seasons or special weapons seasons by some
    The spike fork/10 pt season is a great oportunity to burn gas. In the far north you can potentially see 10 pointers but otherwise it is a serious long shot. But.... lots of guys get to hunt

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    The spike fork/10 pt season is a great oportunity to burn gas. In the far north you can potentially see 10 pointers but otherwise it is a serious long shot. But.... lots of guys get to hunt
    Quality of hunting days over quantity is better in my opinion. Plus the issue of animals that go to waste do to point restrictions each year. Buddy already called in a shot and left 3pt in 7a

My opinion southern 6 has the right idea using a mix of GOS/LEH/special weapon over point restrictions to create opportunity. Have always felt BC needs to apply this style of management to other areas/species.

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    At first I thought the 2/3/10 rule was a PITA....but now I like it. I don't have to wait for my LEH draw to be able to hunt moose. I can hunt every year. Counting points is a pain, but, for me, calling and getting action is a big part of my style of hunting, shooting an moose is the bonus to the hunt. Yes, I have had to let a bunch of bulls walk, but I can accept that for being able to hunt moose every year.

This year was another amazing year with lost of moose action and some meat in the freezer. And not a lot of gas burned...…..

Quality of hunting days over quantity is better in my opinion. Plus the issue of animals that go to waste do to point restrictions each year. Buddy already called in a shot and left 3pt in 7a

I really hope he self reported or that you reported him!! If not sure of points, don't shoot....pretty simple. And if you do screw up, admit it and face the consequences.

My opinion southern 6 has the right idea using a mix of GOS/LEH/special weapon over point restrictions to create opportunity. Have always felt BC needs to apply this style of management to other areas/species.
    I really hope your thoughts are not carried over to the Peace. Why would you want LEH here? LEH has not worked anywhere else in BC for moose (or any other species for that matter) so why wpuld you want it for the Peace....and maybe R6 North as well?????

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    At first I thought the 2/3/10 rule was a PITA....but now I like it. I don't have to wait for my LEH draw to be able to hunt moose. I can hunt every year. Counting points is a pain, but, for me, calling and getting action is a big part of my style of hunting, shooting an moose is the bonus to the hunt. Yes, I have had to let a bunch of bulls walk, but I can accept that for being able to hunt moose every year.

This year was another amazing year with lost of moose action and some meat in the freezer. And not a lot of gas burned...…..

I really hope your thoughts are not carried over to the Peace. Why would you want LEH here? LEH has not worked anywhere else in BC for moose (or any other species for that matter) so why wpuld you want it for the Peace....and maybe R6 North as well?????

Cheers

SS
    He found a bull someone else shot and left and he reported it to be clear. You are correct not clear during a point restriction season don’t shoot but there are always those who screw up every year.

Management of moose should be according to the population and northern 6\7b are very different then southern 6/7a so should not be managed the same. Still would rather see an option outside of point restrictions for the waste issue

Too many negatives with antler restrictions vs the extra days of hunting in my opinion

Regs should try to keep things simple. Less room for error. Bone on the head. Boom. No questions.

Counting points on moose. Lots of guys don't even know what size a point needs to be to count as a point!

I read a winter count that had calf recruitment in southern region 6 at 8% (8 calves to 100 cows) and winter wasnt even over yet. Thats not sustainable with or without hunting. We all know the causes, they have been debated on these pages for months and years.

The problem is when the moose populations are suffering the Government only seems to have one lever theyre willing to pull. Limit the Resident Hunter Opportunities. Addressing the real causes would cost money theyre not willing to spend as well as being hugely unpopular for them and we all know how politicians are lining up to do things that make them unpopular. Hunters are a minority, a fringe element. We will always get the short end of the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    Regs should try to keep things simple. Less room for error. Bone on the head. Boom. No questions.

Counting points on moose. Lots of guys don't even know what size a point needs to be to count as a point!
    I agree totally with this ! Many mistakes might be avoided . Soon we will all need to be biologists, land surveyor and have a law degree to decipher regulations !
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 10-18-2018 at 08:10 AM. Reason: spelling