Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One morning left, what option do you pick?

One morning left, what option do you pick?

Hey guys,
    Im out in the woods currently and I have to leave by tomorrow afternoon. Im in 8-4/8-5 trying to connect on some mule deer. Ive been here for a couple days, but now that the weekend has rolled around its gotten a loooot busier.

Id love to hear what some more experienced hunters would do in the situation, these are my current ideas im trying to pick from:

1. Hit up a tiny meadow, a little off the main road where I almost got a 2x2 in archery season

2. Camp out a high altitude clear cut where my buddy got a nice buck last weekend, I checked it out already and didnt see much

3. Still hunt an open creek bed (no vehicle access) I explored this afternoon with promising game trails, but the sign didnt seem that fresh

4. This morning, I spotted a solitary deer feeding 1km away up on a ridge.. I couldnt verify it was a buck from the distance but I felt like it was lol! Loop around behind it on an old snowmobile trail (no vehicle access) and try to get the jump on it

4. Walk the timberline on a thicker clearcut I saw some does in

5. Drive and glass cuts

6. What else you got??

2. Site Sponsor

Re: One morning left, what option do you pick?

Walk into your most likely spot in the AM (after parking some distance away). This will make you decide (or guess) which spot is the best! Then have a snooze mid-day. Then decide where you think is the most likely spot that a buck will come out, and wait until dark.

Sort of depends. If I was hell bent on filling the tag, being short on time, I would probably feel like I was doing the most if I drove and glassed promising cuts.

If I was still living in the city though, I would probably hit up that tiny meadow or the cut that saw success last weekend and enjoy a last few hours of peace and nature while hoping for the best.
    Designing the perfect tin foil hat.

#4, up there at 0dark30. Good luck!
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Freshest sign and most recent sightings is always the best bet at crunch time

Hunt all day ambush tactics in the morning/evening and skill hunt mid day. Best location sit in ambush and still hunting done a good ways away from ambush location like drive a few km away at least

^^^^what he said...

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Freshest sign and most recent sightings is always the best bet at crunch time

Hunt all day ambush tactics in the morning/evening and skill hunt mid day. Best location sit in ambush and still hunting done a good ways away from ambush location like drive a few km away at least
    this or number 4, or both.
    Also don’t stress. Enjoy the time outdoors. Take in the experience. The deer will eventually come.

Thanks for the input guys, Im not too stressed about punching the tag.. ill be out hunting again this season. Its interesting to see what others, more experienced than i, think is the optimal play

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfauste View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, Im not too stressed about punching the tag.. ill be out hunting again this season. Its interesting to see what others, more experienced than i, think is the optimal play
    So you were playing on your phone sitting on stand waiting for first light to glisten off his antlers on top of the mountain?
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Yup! I hiked upto a top of a cut where I saw some fresh sign and trails leading into it. I couldnt see shit yet (too dark), so might as well see what everyone had to say! Didnt see any deer that morning then still hunted some beds, bagged.a grouse and went home! Better luck next week