Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: moose mafia part 2...2018 moose hunt

Re: moose mafia part 2...2018 moose hunt

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    I hate to say it Buddy, but you may never see that tag again.
    I understand your dilemma, but I would strongly suggest you offer to head over to comfort your Friend after the Alberta hunt.
    He will understand I am sure...

Just Saying...
    Matt
    Yes Matt..that would be the smartest thing to do..but if I was smart I wouldnt have spent 4 years in grade 6..lo
    I was the smartest Rupp..3 years in grade 12 too..lol
    Time will tell..and yes im aware of the likely chance I wil earn enough points, nor may te season stay open...
    However friends are like marriage..in good times and bad..during hunting season..lol
    Steven

So....it was Oct 4..first bull down..the 5th was again slow..and 2 hunters had to return to granolaville lotus land to work..reality..so they took the first bull to the butchers..and the 3 of us remaining..regrouped. .
    The remainig hunter was still looking for his first moose..regardless I was staying for a mule deer..
    However it was difficult convincing the young man to stick with it..problem was I DIDNT have the answer..when I now think it was numerous issues..the area had been hammered by hunters. .there was a impressive ..depressing increase in wolves..most bulls already were holed up with cows..hard to beat the real deal..one in the bush...nevermind...
    Plus a very unusual one in 30 year cold snaps accompanied by snow..all added a bit to the mix to make it more difficult..
    So we had a heart to heart discussion. .you never will harvest a moose from the couch in Vancouver..we may not get a second moose when everyone else hadnt got their first...I knew there were still bulls there they just had to keep at it.repeat as nessisary..
    So we ..to Chris and Manny credit..stuck to it..I STILL had to find my deer..
    Lol little did I know how bad the investment world had turned..losing us $1,000 each and every day of our 13 day hunt. .some days are diamonds. .others are dogs...
    Every day we saw deer..and by staying quiet..they almost always walked in on us..to 60 yards...just not keepers. .
    We never ever got a break on weather..every single day high winds..howlers..snow..blizzards..or then rain...lots of rain..so we packed the 13 x13 fold up tarp frame and sipped coffee..watched for deer and moose were called.the cold harsh rain would have soaked us and probably ended the hunt..miserable conditions..at best.
    We ate like kings..I ended up the last 5 days with te 27 foot Citation all to myself..guess I was only a mafia poser..lo
    I always say 2 things on any hunt..I would rather be lucky than good..and when you find a moose..any legal moose..dont turn down on day 7 what you would have harvested on the last day.
    So on day seven the 2 Italian Moose Mafia holdouts..found a small moose..however a LEGAL bull moose..antlered..Chris made a exemplary shot..and moose down on the ATV trail..BONUSA..again the millwaki did its work..and in no time at all the moose was loaded.
    Now both Manny and Chris are young, extremely fit guys who can manhandle the largest moose quarters. .easy peasy.
    Back to camp wash hang bag tge quarters of this second bull..tremendous dinner..RIBS..my favorite and sleep in till 9 am ! Then off for 2 days of deer..lots of does but no bucks...so on day 10 we broke camp..back to our home to drop off gear while the 2 gentlemen pointed the truck and horse trailer laden with wonderfull moose meat south and home.
    So in the past 3 years i have had the good fortune to lend some pointers to Manny and Loui who harvested a fine mountain grizzly
    Then last year was again blessed to help Manny get his first moose, and Pino his first moose.
    This year help Renato get his moose, and Chris his first moose..5 for 5 with the Moose Mafia.
    Thus ends my tale...
    Except...

It wasnt the wolves that scared me..it was the first time I have seen natives indians in that area..ever..and a truck load was headed IN ...AT dusk loaded with rifles at every open window...they came out hours after dark..

That scares me..
    Steven

Ps.and the asshat who stole my game cam!...grrrrrrr
    Last edited by srupp; 10-17-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Game Cams being stolen!
    Had a few friends now with that issue.
    They have to make them with a GPS locater for the real owner, so that every time they are turned on, they give the owner
    the co-ordinates.
    Something that cant be tampered with and utterly useless unless you turn them on.
    Or a lock code that only the manufacturer can unlock, and only f they are given a one time pass code by the original owner.

As for FN, and a truck load, yup, would leave me concerned as well.
    Especially if the have a bed mattress on the roof with 2 guys standing in the box and rifles laying on the mattress!
    Seen that too many times.
    Inevitably, I had to stop hunting there, need I say more?

Many thanks for giving your typing finger a big work out and us on HBC a good read.

GH
    I'll be home before winter. It's too cold to sleep out.

Hmmmm your welcome...hoping some of the Moose Mafia will add their imput..Manny? Chris? Pino.? Renato?
    Still getting 5 phone calls each day from hunters returning..still out questioning their sanity..or heading out..plus getting ready for my 20 day Alberta visit to sisters., Edmontonchuk..and my mulie..whitie hunt..plus Bass Pro shop..Cabelas..West Edmonton Mall..stuff the pond doesnt have..lol
    Dont have the eloquence of IronNoggin. .but try and get the story told and some photos.
    Steven

I have been reading this whole time Steve and i don’t have much to add, you have been bang on. Before coming into that hunt I knew nothing about moose hunting. I’ve had to except that this was my first non deer/elk hunting ways and it wasn’t about being aggressive and mobile. But to sit, and wait, and wait, and call, and wait. Moose hunting in the prime rut it’s not so much physically hard (until you have to lift quarters) but mentally tough.

Two main things I learned on this trip from you was two things. One it is amazing how one call out in a valley will be picked up by an animal km’s away with just two 11 inch ears and they will pin point the exact location it is coming from to a tee. For example Renato calling for 3 hours and that bull literally stepped over the stump he was calling.

Last thing I learned was moose hunting isn’t for the older fella. Why?..... because it can go from zero for days to 100 faster that you can blink and for anyone with a bad heart well I feel for you. For days it was sitting and trying to listen and picking your nails. To WTF just happen. I’m still in shock and would of never of played out that ending in my head.

Oh make it third thing I learned now I remember.... For the record Spam on toast with mustard and Mayo isn’t that bad if you don’t look at it and you were taught eat what’s given to you or make your own damn lunch. Steve was a kind man making me his famous Williams Lake sandwich and he doesn’t believe when he asked, it still wasnt bad.

Overall this hunt was only successful with each and everyone of us there. We all did our job, we were all respectful to each other and listened. It honestly was a team effort and like a good team we executed our plan and won. Not a lot of groups can do that. If it wasn’t for Steve’s word of advice and encouragement ( and he only came on the trip for deer and a couple hey yal’) to Manny’s cooking, Renato’s laugh, Pino’s chicken slaying and handy winch, and finally my wood chopping middlenof the night, then all this wouldn’t of happen.

T.E.A.M= Together Everyone Achieves More.....

Thank you Steve and I will keep thanking you. I’m looking forward meeting you in hopefully coming hunts and share some laughs in the trailer. Now get ready for that deer hunt, it’s your turn behind the trigger

Lol thanks Chris..great job of hanging in there when the going gets challenging..

Got a summons today for jury duty. .DURING my upcoming Alberta hunt..phoned the shrriff services..who must be a hunter..he excused me from duty this time...yipppppeeeeee..

Congrads again Chris on your first moose..great shot no wasted meat..and especially thank you for all the hard work around camp..wood splitting, fire building, ATV maitenence, fuelling, an integral part of the Moose Mafia team.in every aspect..pretty hard velieving it was your first moose hunt.
    Cheers
    Steven..

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Srupp, and company, nice story, nice write up! Fellowship is as much a part of hunting, as killing a critter. The sooner folks realize, your hunting trip, is usually your vacation! It's not supposed to be super stressful, your out there for more than meat! Memories, experiences, friendships, far outlast the meat in the freezer! Your story telling Steven, is just fine! My condolences on your Friends passing, it is a personal dilemma, that only you and Susan can come to grips with on the trip over to Germany, or Alberta. If it was me that was your friend, I would understand if you so chose to go for the hunt.
    I try to help as many folks as I am able to on this website. It is a brotherhood, and I do look at Karma as something that is payed back, good or bad!! Good luck in Alberta Steven!!
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

My friend Detlef is an accomplished hunter, he has visited me and flown in with me for grizzly hunt, black bear hunts, as well he his wife Ingrid, and son Alex have visited in our home.
    Detlef understands my dilema and has requested we hold off visiting until spring..where Susan can join me an the loss isnt so recent..

Thank you Moosin
    Steven

Good story as usual Ruppster! Did I miss the part where you explained this.....

a brilliant red sphere the size of a grapefruit at 60 yards come accross a ATV trail..wth?
    Enquiring minds want to know!!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson