Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: moose mafia part 2...2018 moose hunt

Re: moose mafia part 2...2018 moose hunt

So within 10 minutes of 2018 LEH results being announced I recieved a phone call from the moose mafia informing me they had drawn 2 moose tags yet again..and I was indeed coming along even if they had to kick in our door and drag me out of the shower.geeee how can a guy ever refuse such charm..lol so I guessed my trip to the Yukon border would wait..I was going deer hunting and accompany the moose mafia.so gear was checked..I ordered my new Honda 500 Rubicon..with all the bells and whistles..had my .270 shipped to Corlanes for a muzzle brake..repeated falls from my screwed leg had injured my shoulder making shooting unpleasant.Susan has so many years of experience getting grub and supplies for truck and travel trailer so Susan dived into getting things like home in the " fibreglass tent"
    Rifle returned was resighted and worked perfectly..the new Ruby ATV arrived and was outfitted with warn provantage 2500 pound winch, Rigid 10 inch diffused LED bar..had fabricator electrical engineer install LED bar..and new Kolpin gun case..Sasha fid his usual perfect job.
    The weather was predicted to be cold with snow ! So 2 extra 30 pound propane tanks were filled.the travel trailer has 2 solar panels however we also brought my 1800 watt generator for evenings meals and keep the batteries topped off every evening.
    I got out for one day scouting and break in my ATV according to Hondas directions. ..those first 15..kms..then next 150 kms had strict guidlines..then oil changed.during that full day one big bull moose, cow calf, LOTS of grouse.mule deer..things looked good.
    I tried to look at my game camera however a travel trailer had completely blocked the trail.so camera was left.
    The moose mafia arrived on schedule at our residence in Williams lake..many extra containers were filled with water and off we headed east of the pond.
    By 2 pm we had arrived and by 4 pm we had a very comfortable camp.Manny brought a camper towing a horse trailer with enough coolers of food to choke a horse. Plus 2 ATV.Pino brought an amazing Jeep lift kit huge tires,12,000 pound warn winch

Hmm so 2 would sleep in the camper, while I got the main bedroom in the Citation..one on a 6 inch memory foam on the kitchen floor and one on the fold out couch.the awning was folded out tables and stoves, barbques..etc were set up..temp was set tp 61 while occupied, off when gone..55 during the night comfortable is a understatement .
    That first evening we did a tour of the area..knocking off 11 grouse that first afternoon..evening..seeing a couple mule deer and readying for the mafias opening morning .maps were drawn up..locations for scents were determained.
    The moose hunters from the opening season sept 10..30 had run out of gas..literally..driving..hiking..calling.20 days nada...
    In skulking the area we found a dead mule deer..gutted, antlers cut off..left to rot!
    So in the darkness we readied for mule deer..any buck plus the 2 hunters who had the Willy Wonka moose tags..
    So at 5 am oct 1 the alarm rang..breakfast was served..and the moose mafia opened their hunting season.
    Cheers
    Steven

Sounds like a great hunting trip with a fantastic group of guys. Thanks for sharing and congrats to all
    A man does not choose the momment, the momment chooses the man!

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

5am, the alarm rang? then you ate breakfast? THEN you went moose hunting? Strange order of business there Steven! Opening day, I usually cant sleep, I usually grab a costco muffin, or granola bar, and head out! Good start to the story so far, nice critters too! Sorry Steven, I do enjoy your stories, please carry on! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

congrats on the hunt steve.sounds like you guys had a fun time.hunting was def tuff with the cold weather and snow.

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    5am, the alarm rang? then you ate breakfast? THEN you went moose hunting? Strange order of business there Steven! Opening day, I usually cant sleep, I usually grab a costco muffin, or granola bar, and head out! Good start to the story so far, nice critters too! Sorry Steven, I do enjoy your stories, please carry on! Moosin
    Its ok..the mafia party lasted till past 10..then up at 5..short nite for long days..will get to the hunting part..and the rotflmao Renato adventure..one for the ages..
    Cheers
    Steven

Hmmmmm so after 30 plus years out hunting moose..I have some pretty definate ideas on what works..last few years 2 bulls takes 2 days..I freely share my ideas..and help whoever is intetested..been teaching the moose mafia crew what..why..when..in 2 years with 4 tags..4 bulls..I actually DO expect success..with a plan..and sticking with that plan .regardless..Well this year they got the regardless..in spades.first light had found the crew split in 2 miles fr7om each other..along chrismas tree sized trees in cutblocks with rising realestate accross the valley..the sounds of calling must be able to carry..very important..as well as the scents..
    Moose locate each other primarily by sound..often as far as 5 kms.then smell..that breadloaf sized nose works well indeed.then visual acuity comes last.a moose has eyes 10 inches apart..each ear is approximately 11 inches long so ear tip to ear tip..31..to 33 inches..then add the sattalight dish AKA moose racks..these animals find each other by sound.

Sitting quiet, calling as LOUD AS YOU CAN.. calling every 15 minutes by your watch..staying put at one location for the entire day..most failures are because hunters call..then leave far too soon..give the guy a chance to lick his eyebrows and get to your dalling location.
    So calling will., I repeat WILL get their attention. .once the added influence of good scent attractant..ie BUCK EXPERT..they are hooked..they hear a cow calling..then smell the estrus horse urine..they are convinced its a receptive cow moose..I EMPHASIZE. .their is no concept passed on that this is a human hunter fooling them..that concept doesent exist.
    When the bull comes out he is looking EXACTLY at where the cow should be.
    Sometimes they sneak in quiet as a church mouse..other times crashing and grunting for kilometers.
    At over 3 kms the low tones drop out and it sounds like a hammer hitting a steel plate..
    As important as calling is listening..

5km!? Whoa, that must be a record!!
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    5km!? Whoa, that must be a record!!
    Hmm by gpsous times I have watched bulls respond to calling from over 4.5 kms..by gps..lake side location to ridgetop thrashing bulls..or from other end of lakes to where we sat calling them in.
    You can cover more distance by sitting and calling than one can walk in a week..or hunt in a month.
    Cheers
    Steven

So interesting enough each and every christmas tree clear cut had mule deer.. some walked as close as 10 yards..just sitting still..winds were perfect.day one was windy. .pretty hard to get your voice out there. .the wind kept pushing the lads calling back down their throats..and made hearing any responses improbable..however the grouse were everywhere..target rich enviroment..I think we ended up with a group total of 40 birds..and a couple of still brown snowshoe hares.30 mi utes before dusk each group headed to camp.each guy found a chore to do..cook, load water, fire up generators..fuel jeep or quads..everything locked and tarped keeping our toys out of others prying eyes.then pasta...errrr dinner was served...wonderful delicious healthy dinner..followed by some wine..home made..things tidyied up lunches made ..ready for dark 30.