Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: moose mafia part 2...2018 moose hunt

Re: moose mafia part 2...2018 moose hunt

The first photo shows camp..on the bottom right is my new 2019 honda rubicon..second photo shows the crew..left to right
    Chris, Manny, Steven, Renato...Captain Morgan...OOOOPS Pino..lol
    The next 2 days each crew switched hunting areas..moving to new cut blocks..however the weather went from bad to worse..then much worse..wind..then high winds..snow..then lots of snow..it dropped to minus 9 degrees by 5 am...brrr
    In the first photo there is a fast errected green 13 x13 canopy..we folded it up and errected it over our chairs or atv while calling.
    Being with the moose hunters didn't seem to harm my deer sightings. ..mule deer were seen by both crews eafh and every day.
    I just never saw any deer big/old enough to harvest..
    We managed to plow through 75 pounds of propane in the Citation tent over the trip.plus outside cooking propane, plus propane for Lui camper for heat.

So on the 4th we actually split up into 3 groups.i had seen BIG mule deer prints down that area so I joined a crew down there. .the Rigid10 inch led bar..drew 4.5 amps..and produced 75 watts of brilliant white light..daylight brought to the dark.
    Renato was a short distance away..on a hill...he is a pretty good caller..
    He was there for 2 hours calling..when he STEPPED AWAY FROM HIS RIFLE..to look over the edge..when he turned around here comes a bull moose headed exactly to the spot he was calling from.he was busted..yards away from his weapon..he just froze..closed his eyes and FROZE..the bull walked straight at Renato...passing a mere 12 FEET from the surprised hunter..
    The bull was absolutely silent..but stinkey...did I mention the bull passed 12 feet from the startled hunter without his rifle.
    The bull walked past Renato..who once past allowed Renato to retrieve his rifle..and down the bull in one perfect shot.
    Congrads Renato..not many could hold it together perfect to allow an adult moose to pass within 12 feet...
    Once down..crew were rounded up..moose was field dressed..the millwakki 20 volt brushless revip saw with bi metal 5 tpi made short work of spine, legs, neck..clean cut. Moose was loaded up..back to camp..hung washed cleaned spotless..then Yukon bags were used.because of the cold temp..the meat was perfect.
    One down. .one to go..
    Steven

Hmm what hunting trip would be recounted without the latest Steven accident..lol..
    On opening day I was removing the equalizer bars..one was particularly difficult to move with the 18 inch bar..seemed bound up..when suddenly it EXPLODED downwards...the bar striking the front of my pants tearing them wide open..the bar continuing downward completely ripping the front of my new Haines underwear. .not finished yet the bar struck my penis, and my right testicle with the bar coming to rest against my steel knee..
    The pain was beyond belief..I could hardly breath...it was days before the numbness left...bad..then came the pain...
    I was lucky. .if a little closer the bar could have ripped me and hemorrhage from that location would have been fatal.
    Incredibly. .no one laughed..however someone commented.." thats gonna leave a mark. "
    Everything else was without injuries..except for our cook who seemed to be constantly cutting fingers when cooking..
    Steven

penis and testicles, OMG, we are sooooo lucky you lived to talk about it. Pale and diaphoretic reading about it.

Lol considering the small target. .direct balls eye..oops.
    The significance of the impact, location..hmmmm truly scared me..I consider myself lucky to be alive..
    And as of yesterday..can pee again..
    Steven

Man that sounds painful Steve!

Geezzzz Glad your okay Steven ! Man a guy has to be careful with all aspects of a hunt !
    Arctic Lake

Omg that sounds like a close call...too close. Looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing the story and hunting tips.

Thumbs up Re: moose mafia part 2...2018 moose hunt

Hell of a fine trip my Friend!
    Sans the "injury" that is!
    Perhaps no-one laughed in your crew, but I sure as hell did when you told me the other day!
    You're a Lucky Man Buddy!
    In more ways than one!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Hmmm waited 11 years for trophy mule deer in Alberta..drew it..gear already gettig arranged..THEN...
    email from really good friend..his wife passed away today..I have of course made the offer to fly to Germany to be with familly.
    Hmmmm
    Steven

Arrow Re: moose mafia part 2...2018 moose hunt

I hate to say it Buddy, but you may never see that tag again.
    I understand your dilemma, but I would strongly suggest you offer to head over to comfort your Friend after the Alberta hunt.
    He will understand I am sure...

Just Saying...
    Matt
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me