Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: moose mafia part 2...2018 moose hunt

Re: moose mafia part 2...2018 moose hunt

Awesome, love the photos. Nice work Srupp, thanks for putting up. Major lack of stories again this season.

Love the pic of meat hanging. congrats to the hunters

Great job, glad you all had a good time and some success!

Nicely done Steven!

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm just home from one of the most challenging moose deer hunts I have ever encountered..5 inches snow..brutal cold..fierce winds..and almost no moose sign..limited muley action..
    The hunting camps prior to us had seen nothing, heard nothing , and harvested nothing..20 days of nothing.
    Other hunters had resorted to road hunting as days of calling had produced nothing except wolf encounters.
    We encountered lynx, rabbits..harvested rabitt, many grouse..turned down a few bucks and no chance at a 3 x3 busting accross a narrow trail .I was there to enjoy the scenery, the outdoors, the friendship, and a few grouse..and maybe a deer...
    Went through 2 x30 pound propane tanks for heat..
    Someone will perhaps help me post photos of the 2 lucky moose hunters that hung in and harvested their moose..I would like to post photos of my deer..however I passed on the spikers..2 point muleys I encountered. ..sitting completely still on a back cut block..I had deer wander out to within 70 yards..but nothing I wanted to tag.
    Some absolutley hilarious encounters. .still laughing..other incidents scarey...
    And the unexplained..a brilliant red sphere the size of a grapefruit at 60 yards come accross a ATV trail..wth?
    I am waiting for photos from the fortunate hunters..and camp life..and will post some stories from the hunt over the next few days.
    Cheers
    I'm waiting for the picture of this one.
    And Ruppster, wth is that thing on your handle bar? Looks like a piss funnel. Saves you from wetting your boots?

Looked like a fun time for all. WIWT
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

TheOTE=Jagermeister;2041730]I'm wait picture of this one.
    AndiveRuppster, wth is that thing on your handle bar? Looks like a piss funnel. Saves you from wetting your boots?

Looked like a fun time for all. WIWT[/QUOTE]

Lol...that "thing"..is a KC...MAGNUM 22 inch moose call. ..helps with tone. .resonence. .and volume..its by Ken Capeing world champion moose caller..sold at Cabelas...when not in use it sits on my GPS ram mount..got 3 of 4 Italians being very good callers. ..
    The fur hat..Susan bought for me at Barkerville..warmest hat Ive ever used including my Canadian army winter face balavlava.
    The smaller moose..i always say SHOOT what presents itself..Cariboo is meat hunt..go north for 60 "
    Just about cleaned up..story will start.
    THANK YOU MATT YET AGAIN FOR HELP WITH PHOTOS.
    cheers
    Steven

Well done Steven, nice to see 4 quarters hanging and properly looked after.

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Well done Steven, nice to see 4 quarters hanging and properly looked after.
    Thank you, sir.
    Using a Milwaukie 20 volt cordless recip saw with 12 inch bi metal 5 tpi deconstruction blade..hair left on lower edges of quarters.
    The photo of the meat was after hanging. .but prior to final clean up..so washed in 70 percent vinegar 30 percent water..cleans up to shine on bones.then bagged in Yukon game bags .

It was hung under tarps..no sun on meat..reduces temp fluctuation..tarps allowed air movement..
    The temperature was -- 9 at night and + 6 during day.meat will be awesome.we took an animals life we have a responibility to utulize it all..and keep its taste , flavour, tenderness as good as we can..
    I try andhelp new hunters..but I also practice what I preach.
    Cheers
    Steven

Great hunt Steven!!!

Looks like a fun hunt despite the cold. Nice camp you had there as well.

Thanks for sharing...
    Live to Hunt...