Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: deer density in BC

deer density in BC

Do we have a study on this or any published numbers?

Was just watching an episode of Meat Eater on Netflix and he had 2 hunters from the midwest with him on a Caribou hunt. One of them mentioned the density of deer in their state was 70 per square mile. That seems ridiculously high

2. Site Sponsor

Re: deer density in BC

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

Was just watching an episode of Meat Eater on Netflix and he had 2 hunters from the midwest with him on a Caribou hunt. One of them mentioned the density of deer in their state was 70 per square mile. That seems ridiculously high
    There are more white tail in the USA than all ungulates in Canada I'd bet haha they are like rats down there !

Sorry I offer no help study wise.

harsh winters kill a lot of animals

yes some states are polluted with whitetails. I cant remember which state, but the bag limit is one deer per day and I think they have like a 30 day season. So in theory you could shoot 30 deer a year or something crazy like that. I also believe that in some states, you have to harvest two does before you are allowed a buck tag.

Crazy numbers down there.
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

We also have much higher numbers of deer killing predators here.

BC for the most part is low density when it comes to deer. BC will never be a sought after deer hunting destination either

Lots of factors to this and reasons vary throughout BC. BC has areas with great weather/habitat for deer well other areas there is poor habitat and too much snow. Predation and poor management are other factors

Parts of B.C. the habitat and wildlife have basically been raped.

yes yes, predators ... but do we know what the numbers are? for comparison sakes?

I have not seen a figure for overall BC and do a lack of counts in many MUs I don’t think there is an accurate number for overall BC

I think you’re best you will get is data on select areas where a count has taken place.

Do to poor funding accurate data on species that are not under a big conservation concern are limited

Some states have 100% of their land as suitable deer habitat. Couple that with all the farming and boom you have an explosion of deer. Where I went to university in Southern Ontario you could shoot one buck and 6 does a year. Lots of farms there and no crown land.

BC is huge with so much habitat not suitable for deer it makes the idea of measuring deer density for the whole province kinda pointless. Here are some numbers

WT - 65,000
    Mule - 190,000
    Black-tail - 150 000 - 250 000

Total area of BC = 925,000 sq km

(high estimate) deer density equals 505,000 deer / 925, 000 sq km =

0.55 deer / sq km

Just some rough estimate of deer numbers found online
    Last edited by Jimbob; 10-12-2018 at 03:01 PM. Reason: add info

He is talking about deer #'s on his property not the state. He has been on the meat eater podcast several times talking about the extensive land and deer management he does on a large chunk of property that has been in his family for generations. So that number may very well be significantly higher than the average in his state