Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: deer density in BC

Re: deer density in BC

From that data they are estimating 10-20 moose on Vancouver Island? Hmmm???

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorse View Post
    From that data they are estimating 10-20 moose on Vancouver Island? Hmmm???
    Region 1 also includes part of the mainland

Interesting that there are blacktails spilling into region 3 but none into region 8.

I would have expected them to mix in 2-17 / 8-5 and areas like that ... and I'm sure they do to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Interesting that there are blacktails spilling into region 3 but none into region 8.

I would have expected them to mix in 2-17 / 8-5 and areas like that ... and I'm sure they do to some extent.
    As a kid a few MUs I started hunting were dominated by blacktail but are now a combo of MD and hybrids. MD have expanded into areas over the years and blacktail get bred out

I did not hunt 8 till I got older and don’t remember hearing of any blacktail or hybrids past hope slide but I would think it would be possible

Lots of black-tails in the Nahatlatch watershed on the west side of the Fraser in Region 3.

guest Guest

Over many years of hunting Harrison and Boston Bar areas, Yes the Mulies do cross with the BTs.
    just like the Pemberton and Mt. Currie area, you can get smaller compact knarly racks, large bodied deer with dark brown to black outer tails.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...t_18_Final.pdf

heres the latest estimate for deer numbers in BC...

I agree with the lack of suitable habitat, as a lot of BC is very rugged, steep terrain, also with the harsher winters, and a general lack of pred management..
    I am having my doubts about this survey.
    Just looking at the elk in R4, they say 15,000 + , but its my understanding they thing it is less then 6500 now?
    Makes me wonder about the accuracy of any of it.?
    Don't mean to be so cynical, but as of late, I have my suspicions on a lot of things not being what they say they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I am having my doubts about this survey.
    Just looking at the elk in R4, they say 15,000 + , but its my understanding they thing it is less then 6500 now?
    Makes me wonder about the accuracy of any of it.?
    Don't mean to be so cynical, but as of late, I have my suspicions on a lot of things not being what they say they are.
    Lack of funding with many areas going years between counts I too ? The accuracy

Sad to say but a lot of BCs wildlife numbers are educated guess with many species

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Lack of funding with many areas going years between counts I too ? The accuracy

Sad to say but a lot of BCs wildlife numbers are educated guess with many species
    Honestly. I am just getting "disgusted" with this whole "wildlife management" crap.
    Yes, many saw my rant with my EK elk thread.
    I accept that some years are worse, you see nothing, but tell yourself that "well, its just hunting, that's how it goes".
    But ten years of just watching thing get worse, when you didn't think they could, is just sickening.

I no longer trust one bit of the "data" we have!
    And, just for the record, I don't blame guys like Fisher Dude when he puts up the numbers, cause he is just passing along the info that's there on record.

It's the policies that have occurred over the past 20 years, in my opinion, that have us all F****d! for the future.
    And, in the end, we will all see what they do best, more closures, more restrictions, and still further declines.
    Boy, do I feel happy these days (it's 1 pm, where's that bottle of scotch I been saving...)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Honestly. I am just getting "disgusted" with this whole "wildlife management" crap.
    Yes, many saw my rant with my EK elk thread.
    I accept that some years are worse, you see nothing, but tell yourself that "well, its just hunting, that's how it goes".
    But ten years of just watching thing get worse, when you didn't think they could, is just sickening.

I no longer trust one bit of the "data" we have!
    And, just for the record, I don't blame guys like Fisher Dude when he puts up the numbers, cause he is just passing along the info that's there on record.

It's the policies that have occurred over the past 20 years, in my opinion, that have us all F****d! for the future.
    And, in the end, we will all see what they do best, more closures, more restrictions, and still further declines.
    Boy, do I feel happy these days (it's 1 pm, where's that bottle of scotch I been saving...)
    Welcome to my world sir and the more you learn the more frustrating it is

No secret I don’t see eye to eye with FD and I don’t blame him or BCs bios for that matter when it comes to the numbers. The only issue I have with these people is the support of liberal harvest opportunities with insufficient data on our game populations and harvest

We run the most liberal harvest opportunities in Canada with a major lack of data compared to many provinces and states