Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Northern BC canoe hunt

Northern BC canoe hunt

Getting excited for the grass to green up in my traditional area so I'll share the story of my last year's fall solo moose hunt on a small fly in lake southwest of little dease. I've spent my whole life hunting my traditional area around Merritt and I had an urge to go moose hunting in a truly wild place . So i bought a resident hunting license and a moose tag and flew into my spot from dease on September 20th and stayed till October 4th. Time of my life I spent my first couple hours setting up my lean too and cutting firewood Wich sucked because there was a nice bull in the lake when I got there and he stayed for 5 of the 6 hours I was required to wait after flying in. That night I ate some bread and a spruce grouse I killed with a stick my nightly meal the whole trip I forgot to bring fishing gear. The next morning I tossed my canoe in the lake before the fog lifted and paddled around the lake seen 5 cows so I went up stream till evening and set up another camp once night fell I cow called for about an hour I had no watch or anything so I had no way to tell time other than its dark now and it's light now lol but when I woke in the morning I looked out over the creek I had paddled up and there was big bull with a cow about 200yards on the opposite side of the creek so I popped him with my trusty 30-06 right in the ear ate some bread and grouse then headed over for the work to begin now for those who haven't done a moose alone it's a full 12 hour shift of hard labor just to get it hung at my temporary camp I still had a several mile paddle back to the lake camp and I was alone with a dead moose in grzz country odd felling to say the least. Anyways day 4 heading back to lake camp to hang meat and rest till pick up. My canoe was riding much lower with a moose in there with me I did not think about this when I jumped over many beaver dams on my way up. This resulted in me being very wet and sore from unloading and reloading a moose into my canoe at every beaver dam. What took me one day to paddle up took 3 to paddle down when I got back to camp I had 2 days left to sleep and sleep I did right until a plane landing woke me up. When I got home I had lost 27lbs and looked pretty shredded though.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Northern BC canoe hunt

awesome story congrats man! got pics!

My culture and religion don't allow me to take pictures of death but I do have some pics of the area and my little camps and a few live moose in the lake I'll post later

great adventure - thanks for sharing.
    forever noob

Great adventure, too bad being solo
    Did you get onto Tuya River?
    often wondered about floating that one
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

The Tuya isn't a float....you definitely need solid whitewater experience.....
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Solo moose hunt with canoe, that's a challenge for sure. Another member here posted about his solo canoe hunt as well. Myself & 2 buddies were successful on a LEH moose hunt a few years ago & I can certainly appreciate the work involved. The bull was downed fairly close to a road & we had ATVs & my Taco to get it back to camp once it was quartered. I couldn't imagine trying that solo, but I'm not a spring chicken any longer, haha.

I had my canoe along for the trip & took some time to explore on my own. Decided to paddle up a creek feeding the lake we were camped on & that involved dragging the canoe over a number of small dams. Not too bad lightly loaded but with a moose, oh my.... Anyhow, I didn't get the opportunity to pop one on my excursion so going back was just as easy as the way in.

My canoe is a 16' Bob's Special cedar strip that I built myself. Curious as to what you used. My Bob's can carry a decent load but not sure it would handle a full moose + me.... even if I deboned it. Would likely be multiple trips to get it out. Couple photos featuring my Bob's as I pulled it over one of the dams.

Had my fishing gear, 30-06 & 12 ga. along.

Here's a shot of it on the lake before I headed out.
    Last edited by mike31154; 02-20-2022 at 08:50 PM.

Congrats on the solo canoe/moose adventure. I'm afraid my days of solo hunting for truly big game are over. Good read, thanks for sharing.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Rezpatrol View Post
    My culture and religion don't allow me to take pictures of death but I do have some pics of the area and my little camps and a few live moose in the lake I'll post later
    But yet you can look at death and no problem , can you take a picture of you eating at the family dinner table with dead animal parts on it ?

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post
    But yet you can look at death and no problem , can you take a picture of you eating at the family dinner table with dead animal parts on it ?
    Who cares? I’d rather most the bumbling idiots that post hunting stories on social media followed the same rules… it does no one any favours. If you can’t find pride in success without showing it off, change something.