Thread: How to Grouse Hunt?

How to Grouse Hunt?

I've bagged quite a few grouse; problem is, I've only ever seen them along FSRs and I've never seen them in the forest. How exactly does one actually find grouse in the forest? Where should I be looking? Tree branches? Ground? Any tips would end this mystery for me.
    Last edited by jezza; 10-12-2018 at 10:03 PM. Reason: grouse

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How to Grouse Hunt?

Well unless you have a well trained bird dog you're best bet is to look for them on the side of logging roads. Grouse need gravel to digest their food so they come to the roads to get it, typically in the mornings and evenings. Look for ruffed grouse around drainage areas, swamps, culverts and willows they like more wet areas. Spruce grouse tend to hang out in areas with tall Christmas trees 12' plus as well as in the timber.

I usually see them on the side of logging roads but have seen them quite often in the forest as well, in both trees and the ground, keep your ears open for that distinct flutter sound they make then follow..

If you know an area has grouse look along creeks where its mainly hardwood growing along its sides. Walk both sides slowly scanning the ground. Stop and listen a lot.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I've often flushed them hiking through the bush looking for Bambi's Dad. Here's one I flushed a couple weeks ago moose hunting. After he flew up he stayed in the tree within easy range, but I wasn't carrying the appropriate firearm.

Other than that I see them often on FSRs going to/returning from hunting or fishing. I bagged one in a somewhat unconventional manner on the moose hunt several weeks ago. He was on the road & I caught his head with the axle of my truck. Stopped, looked back & he was out cold on the road. Walked back & as I came close he was just starting to lift his head coming to. I took care of him with a rock to the head. Grouse for dinner at camp.