Thread: !!Food Plots!!?

!!Food Plots!!?

From what I understand from reading the regs and from the old threads on this it is legal to grow food plots, especially on your own property. Unless something has changed please tell me !!!! I personally just want to enhance some acres on my land that I’ve noticed lots of game trails going through and back up the mountain (property backs on to crown) I’m not here to argue ethics and or “fair chase”. I just want to know if other people do it. Might as well help deer have some more feed. And if the possibility arises, I will throw up a tree stand or blind and maybe take one with my bow, if my season isnt going so well to make sure I have a full freezer for the winter.

I recently purchased over 20 acres in the interior. Just curios if anyone grows food plots. And if so do you prefer perennials or annuals? I’ve read up that ladino white clover is a good hardy and easy to grow plant that deer love. Also where in the interior can you purchase food plot seeds like clover ?

any info would be appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: !!Food Plots!!?

I've never done it before but the Americans where its food plot central are big on legumes (beans and peas). Makes sense deer are always looking for the highest value food available and legumes are packed with protein and other good stuff. Other than that try the easy way out, plow up a bit of land and let nature do the rest. Fresh logging roads always bloom up with tons of flowery weeds which deer love the first few years. They excel on their own given fresh loose soil with no competition.
    Last edited by Salty; 10-12-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Pemby_mess Guest

Water will likely be an issue for most places in the interior, so consider what is likely to grow well without irrigation. Clover is a legume, and deer love it. It is drought resistant but will still need supplemental water in the first couple summers to get established. Doesn't typically need much soil prep.

Good point Pemby a lot of seeds would just shrivel in the sun with no H2O. Look for drought resistant plants and you will need to water them even to get established.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

i have white clover and red clover and alfalfa...
    the deer keep it moved well and its its first year so i try not to drive on it...
    after i slective logged the yard i raked and seeded...
    i have spent thousands on seed...
    vine maple if you cut it 4 feet up new suckers come up creating more winter forage....
    insure they have dense bedding area and a water source and they will not leave your property unless bugged excessively.

Sugar beets!
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Whatever you plant make sure to double check it's not considered an invasive.

When are we going to put down the camo hat for a straw one Scotty? I'd be delighted to help!

Corn oats and barley

Check out Whitetail Institute.