Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine opener success

Alpine opener success

So many alpine threads every year ..... so few sharing their success! Here's hoping to change that!

I packed up on the 30th with Chris meeting me at my house and we headed to one of the reg 3 zones that opens on the 1st . We arrived there after 10pm and wasted no time setting up camp. Chris set up his tent by the truck, i opted to sleep in the back of the pick up to avoid repacking my pack in the morning.

Here are complete contents ... You'll note the SpotX messenger in the picture. I purchased it from Cabela's for this trip, but sadly had to return it. I loved the full sized keyboard but the unit was simply not reliable enough to keep. I purchased an InReach Mini instead after I returned.

The rifle is a rem700 with a wood stock and the wrap is to help protect it from the nasty bushwack it is about to encounter, rather than to achieve some stealth points.

You might also notice two therma-rest pads. The lower zlite one is half of the short pad they sell. It is great for glassing when the ground is wet and comes in very handy for spike camps!

Last edited by twoSevenO; 10-02-2018 at 09:34 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Alpine opener success

Up on the 31st and on the trail in short time. Right before we step off the dirt road we spot a black bear walking toward the truck. He was so young and cute my first thought was "where's my camera" rather than "where's the bear spray" . He got within 20 yards of the truck then took off exactly where we were about to enter the forest. We weren't worried, though.

With packs on our backs and saw and flagging tape in hand we made our ascent. Clearing a trail and flagging made our progress slow. But we made it.

The alpine of BC is no easy task. While it looks gorgeous those green "fields" are no cake walk. Its some of the nastiest terrain you can hike in! It's steeper than it looks and often slippery as heck too! ..... but some of the prettiest

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

That’s a beautiful picture 270, I just love the Alpine !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

We took off our packs and went straight to glassing. The importance of scouting from the other thread can be perfectly showcased here .... I have scouted this spot previously. I had seen some bucks. Now the question was "will they be in the same spot?"

It's funny how a person remembers certain details posted over 10 years ago ..... I remember the "alpine pioneer" Dana posting about being patient and waiting for the bowl to suddenly come alive. I glassed the empty alpine hill side and the deer just .... appeared.

A couple of bucks. A couple of does. And then him! I am a sucker for brow tines and he had a plenty! He was wider than the ears. He had big brow tines. He was in full velvet .... I was sold. I was going after him.

The only problem was .... he was 1000+ yards away, surrounded by several pairs of eyes and ears doing his surveillance for him and there was no proper cover between us and him ..... fun!
    We glassed until the evening and then backed out of there to set up camp behind the ridge.

From my previous scouting the thermals here are pretty consistent and blow in our direction so i wasn't worried about polluting the area with our scent. I was worried, however, about the thunder and dark clouds moving in and the fact that i opted to leave the tent body at home and pitch only the fly and poles. A down pour would be a bad time to start wondering if it was a bad idea to shed those 2.5lbs

The wind got cold enough to warrant putting our puffy down jackets on, but the rain stayed away. I pitched my "tent" behind a large rock, sacrificing level ground for protection from the wind and settled in.

off to bed ..... to be continued .....
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 10-02-2018 at 09:39 PM.

thanks, looking forward to part 2!

Can't wait for part 2!!!

looking good......
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Pemby_mess Guest

Beauty!!!$

Is that the AmazonBasics tripod? How do you like it? I sold mine to my dad because I snagged a Slik for a slick deal, but it always seemed like good value at the $90 CAD I paid for it.

Keep it comin'!