Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arcteryx LEAF for hunting?

Arcteryx LEAF for hunting?

I'm very new to hunting and have yet to get gear. With all my previous outdoors experience, I've always found that Arcteryx gear has come out on top, even if the cost is on the pricey side. I'd rather buy really nice gear once than 3 pairs of sub-par gear and be miserable while wearing it. Do you think that the Arcteryx LEAF line would be suitable for hunting?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Arcteryx LEAF for hunting?

I to am a big dead bird fan, but can't justify the cost of the leaf stuff. You can find most of their regular line in earthy solids, unless you really want multi cam? For instance Beta AR and LT both come in a coyote / deep green colour.
    I run the Zeta AR in Conifer, Gamma MX pants in Gwaii and some mid layer stuff in mixed colours. This way I get dual usage out of my kit, meaning I can wear it year round, around town etc without drawing to much attention.
    Up to you, if you can afford it go for it. If it's a camo option you're after Sitka, Firstlite and Kuiu all make good gear. Many can vouch for that.
    ig: mmckimmi

Its great stuff. Watch the boxing week clearance at the N.Van outlet and you can find some great deals.

I like their stuff and I get it at the North Van outlet... only thing I would say for Arc-teryx in general is it is not designed for quiet movement (if that is a concern for you).

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I like their stuff and I get it at the North Van outlet... only thing I would say for Arc-teryx in general is it is not designed for quiet movement (if that is a concern for you).
    Just curious if you've tried the LEAF line? I agree with you from their regular jackets especially they make quite a bit of noise but some of their promotional videos mention stuff about being silent. Sometimes their promos get a little over excited over their features though as well so I'm not sure what the verdict is.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver Skin View Post
    Its great stuff. Watch the boxing week clearance at the N.Van outlet and you can find some great deals.
    For sure I usually wait out couple hours before the sales at the N.Van outlet but I don't remember ever seeing LEAF there, only overstock from previous years

Quote Originally Posted by mmckimmi View Post
    I to am a big dead bird fan, but can't justify the cost of the leaf stuff. You can find most of their regular line in earthy solids, unless you really want multi cam? For instance Beta AR and LT both come in a coyote / deep green colour.
    I run the Zeta AR in Conifer, Gamma MX pants in Gwaii and some mid layer stuff in mixed colours. This way I get dual usage out of my kit, meaning I can wear it year round, around town etc without drawing to much attention.
    Up to you, if you can afford it go for it. If it's a camo option you're after Sitka, Firstlite and Kuiu all make good gear. Many can vouch for that.
    Yeah for sure it's expensive, but as a 15 year old kid who worked upwards of 50 hours a week during the summer and still about 25 now at a good job, I really have nothing to spend it on so I'd rather invest in a price of gear that will last me a long time then waste it gradually on buying lunch everyday. I don't have the experience to know, how does the multicam stack up to other brand without factoring in the cost? Also how much does camo really matter in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    For sure I usually wait out couple hours before the sales at the N.Van outlet but I don't remember ever seeing LEAF there, only overstock from previous years
    Yup. I bought an alpha lt coat, some puffy coats, and pants there...all leaf.

My best deal was leaf alpha pants for $30! That was a few years ago and they dont discount like that anymore. I usually take an xl and these were xxl...I make them work! It was funny watching all the smaller folks try to justify buying pants that two of them could fit in and eventually give up and put them back on the rack!

Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    Yeah for sure it's expensive, but as a 15 year old kid who worked upwards of 50 hours a week during the summer and still about 25 now at a good job, I really have nothing to spend it on so I'd rather invest in a price of gear that will last me a long time then waste it gradually on buying lunch everyday. I don't have the experience to know, how does the multicam stack up to other brand without factoring in the cost? Also how much does camo really matter in general?

Our grand parents used to put stuff on the ground all the time in plaid and blue jeans... Lots of guys are successful these days rocking solids, it's really up to you. Multicam is designed to be half decent in most environments, it's not a be all end all. You gotta pick a camo for the environment you're hunting in.
    The Sitka stuff seems really effective in the right environment; open country for above tree line and subalpine for, well in the forest. I have a Kuiu pack in Vias, and in the rocks up in the alpine you can easily loose the pack from 15 ft away.

If I were you I'd buy some regular line Arcteryx so you can spread its use over different activities outside of hunting. With the right care it'll last you many years. I'm going on 5 years of everyday use out of a Beta LT shell that I take literally everywhere. I'd HIGHLY recommend you pick up a Atom LT hoody
    ig: mmckimmi

I am a huge arcteryx fan, and my new rain gear will be the alpha 2 stuff. Someone I know
    ran it and was happy with everything but the price. I am not a camo guy, and always wear
    earthy colours and have never had an issue dropping game. In the lead line the multi cam
    is a big premium, ranger green or crocodile are good for B.C. and the crocodile looks way
    better in person. Or you could buy some really nice kuiu/first lite/etc and spend for a good pack
    or whatever else you need. If your 15 I would say skip the leaf now and put the difference to
    alpha binos you will have forever.