Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: October Mule Deer hunt, Region 8 or Region 4?

Re: October Mule Deer hunt, Region 8 or Region 4?

Quote Originally Posted by CVMike View Post
    Islander here, looking to get off the rock for a week or two to explore some new country and hopefully shoot a nice buck.

At this point I’m looking for any advice to help make this trip a successful one. Of course I don’t expect to hear any honey holes, but general area’s worth checking out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike
    I’ve always seen a ton of mule deer in the Princeton and Tulameen area, but as others have said, last year a lot of guys got nothing there, and it sounds like that may be the case again this year. There are also tons of deer around in the Rock Creek to Greenwood corridor.

That said, Mike, if you wouldn’t mind some reciprocal info, as my wife and I may head to the island for a look around. Any areas or FSRs in particular that might be worth looking at? We will be probably hunting with a local, but I like to have a bit of say in my own destiny.

Yah region 4 lol

I'm new to Region 8 this year. I spent the summer on my mountain bike looking for spots and have been out quite a few evenings and mornings so far. I've seen cow moose, and a group of 3 muley does but so far I haven't even seen a buck. Since I am new to this region I am trying to figure out if its the spots I am picking or the numbers are low.

Region 8 is empty. Head to Pemberton.

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    We also took a couple in your backyard Iron Glove
    Elkhound and friends hammered it, like 7 bucks
    Couple young guys across the street got a bear and 2-2 points, they were apparently together
    But we are not seeing the big boys like we used to from years previous.
    I try to avoid Thanksgiving out, little busy for my liking.
    It gets hit hard during youth, expect the smaller stupid bucks gone early in the season.
    November is when the big boys come out to play.
    Yup, I'm sure they are out there, our bad luck, timing, whatever but the number of hunters was way, way down from last Thanksgiving too.
    Last Thanksgiving the rental across the road had 4 bucks hanging one day.
    Will be back up there later this month and November.
    Regardless of success, it's always a good day when you can get out in the woods with your Son, Son In Law and even the Grand Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Yup, I'm sure they are out there, our bad luck, timing, whatever but the number of hunters was way, way down from last Thanksgiving too.
    Last Thanksgiving the rental across the road had 4 bucks hanging one day.
    Will be back up there later this month and November.
    Regardless of success, it's always a good day when you can get out in the woods with your Son, Son In Law and even the Grand Girl.
    one guy turns a corner 20 minutes into a hunt and shoots a buck, he may likely say bucks are plenty.
    you know the area and worked hard, likely a more realistic view of situation.
    luck always helps but persistence better bet.
    good luck
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    one guy turns a corner 20 minutes into a hunt and shoots a buck, he may likely say bucks are plenty.
    you know the area and worked hard, likely a more realistic view of situation.
    luck always helps but persistence better bet.
    good luck
    My Princeton Son called last night to chat - he spent a few hours up in an area that he and Son In Law worked hard last weekend.
    Lots and lots of signs and a bit in "voila" a buck wanders out. He's lining up a shot when his Lady friend's little lap dog ( he had it with him as it can't be left alone ) starts whining - off goes buck. Resisting shooting the dog, he hikes onward, again coming across a buck. Friggin dog starts whining again, off goes buck.
    Dog is still alive but will be left at home, alone now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    I’ve always seen a ton of mule deer in the Princeton and Tulameen area, but as others have said, last year a lot of guys got nothing there, and it sounds like that may be the case again this year. There are also tons of deer around in the Rock Creek to Greenwood corridor.

That said, Mike, if you wouldn’t mind some reciprocal info, as my wife and I may head to the island for a look around. Any areas or FSRs in particular that might be worth looking at? We will be probably hunting with a local, but I like to have a bit of say in my own destiny.
    Keep in mind that the Rock Creek Greenwood area (8-12 to 8-15) are 4 point for Mule, the rest of 8 is any buck.

All the big deer are in 7a now

IMHO I would hunt reg 3 myself. It’s my fav unit for mule deer