Thread: 12 gauge modified choke shot size for grouse

Threaded View

12 gauge modified choke shot size for grouse

Hello!

I need a quick hand. I have to hit up CDN tire in Langley tomorrow and hopefully find a box of 12ga ammo for shooting some grouse this weekend.

I only have modified choke for my shotgun. Previously I was using #4 1oz loads. They seemed pretty good. I'd aim a few inches above the head and 20-40 yards, I would usually only end up getting the head with only one or two (or sometimes none) in the breast. Some of the closer ones I'd miss entirely though as I am aiming too high and the spread hadn't gone down far enough.

I don't want to shoot up the grouse too much, but would like to increase my odds of hitting a little. It looks like CDN tire only has 1 1/8oz. I have no idea where to go from here... #4, #5, #6, #7.5.

I am leaning towards #6.

One thing I noticed last weekend too was that for a couple years of whacking grouse with #4 1oz loads, it was soft on the ears and I wouldn't hesitate to pop grouse once in a while without plugs. I ran out of #4 1oz this weekend and shot a 7.5 1 1/8 oz cartridge at a bird and it blew out my ear pretty good. Felt the recoil difference too. Is that the extra 1/8oz or probably higher velocity round? I guess velocity is another consideration.

My typical grouse encounter is 7 - 40 yards.. soo... what the heck should I do? lol ... I am learning towards #5 or #6 1 1/8 (since no 1oz avail and dont have time to hit up another store)

Please decide for me HBC
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-10-2018 at 09:22 PM.

2. Site Sponsor