Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novemebr elk rut

Novemebr elk rut

Being that we are all talking about elk lately, I thought I would post about an interesting thing I saw last year. Early in September in one of my usual elk areas, I was noticing a good population of big Mule deer. So once November 7th came, I figured I would head in to glass some big mule deer. I hiked about 4 km in on an old cut block and could hear what sounded like elk mewes. So I walked in very silent and came to an opening and seen with out a word of a lie, at least 120 head of elk. I sat an watched over 10 bulls ,5pts and 6 points just screaming their heads off and chasing the cows and fighting each other. so may firsts for me on elk hunting. I have never seen a herd that big and I have never seen elk rutting in November.

anyone experience this?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Novemebr elk rut

if a cow elk isn't bred in her first heat she comes into heat a month later , general health and age play a part too .... also bull elk are damn horny critters

I read an article once that said elk can have up to 4 rut cycles.
    Starting in August, and the each month after that, til you guessed it, November.
    That being said, it was from a USA Bio.

The latest I've witnessed this activity is Oct...but have seen the big boys with the girls in November a few times

it was really cool. usually though this area has small groups of elk . 8-12 elk per herd. seeing such a large amount rutting at one time and in November (-20c), was incredible to say the least.

When do elk usually start to rut ? Is it the same as moose ?

Thanks
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by masoncade1992 View Post
    Being that we are all talking about elk lately, I thought I would post about an interesting thing I saw last year. Early in September in one of my usual elk areas, I was noticing a good population of big Mule deer. So once November 7th came, I figured I would head in to glass some big mule deer. I hiked about 4 km in on an old cut block and could hear what sounded like elk mewes. So I walked in very silent and came to an opening and seen with out a word of a lie, at least 120 head of elk. I sat an watched over 10 bulls ,5pts and 6 points just screaming their heads off and chasing the cows and fighting each other. so may firsts for me on elk hunting. I have never seen a herd that big and I have never seen elk rutting in November.

anyone experience this?
    That must have been incredible to see , good for you !
    Arctic Lake

Yes, several times

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Juvenile bulls will "practice rutting" almost all year. I have also witnessed a group of 11 bull with similar activity in late November, with no cows in sight

Do the bi bulls come out in late season then? Ahhhh ? 123 ? -- an idea to drop that huge 7 point late -
    You say no cows in sight and still acting excitied? Maybe respond to a call later on in the season for no reason --
    Jelly -- Late season treason?
    Last edited by Jelvis; 10-10-2018 at 05:39 PM.