Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Region 5-1

Re: Region 5-1

Bowers/preacher used to be a prime spot for moose . Guys still pull moose out of that road system every year but it's nothing like it was 10 years ago. The moose that are still there are deep in the timber hiding from the wolves. I've also found that they are not as vocal. Could be the wolves keying in on them that shut them up or the dozens of hunters that stop on their quad as they pass each cut block before firing er up again and continuing down the road!

I have been in 5-1 hunting a fair bit this year,and I was thinking this year was a pretty good year for moose and deer, last few have been so/so,we have seen more moose then I thought we would see, only 2 bulls but many cows, for deer, you really have to find the pockets, it takes time on your feet and truck,I must say the Windy mt area after sept 25 was pretty slim pickings for deer.

Lots of wolves in that area from Earle lake, windy mtn, wavey lake, English lake.

Last weeked I was up on the ridge that runs east/west with the canim/Hendrix Rd on the north, horse lake Rd on the south. Wolf prints all
    over the thing right to the top of the old ski trail.... within a few hundred meters of homes and town.

I usually let my dog run in front of my truck on the trail, but there was so many tracks, so fresh, I didn't let him out.

I also came across a doe laying just 25 feet off the trail. She didn't appear injured, but she wasn't getting up for any reason. We took pics, I honked. She just looked at us.
    I didn't really know what to do, maybe she was exhausted from running? Hiding her little one? No blood in the snow.

I have to agree with pretty much everyone else. Over the last several years hunting has gotten worse and worse. I still go out for a cruise now and then but most of my hunting is elsewhere.

I have seen tracks around Sheridan and Jim lake but not lots, there were lots of pockets of deer, sept 20- 25, went back oct 1-7 vanished, but seen whitetails,we did a couple days in 3-30 as well,

Quote Originally Posted by poper View Post
    I have seen tracks around Sheridan and Jim lake but not lots, there were lots of pockets of deer, sept 20- 25, went back oct 1-7 vanished, but seen whitetails,we did a couple days in 3-30 as well,
    We see deer in the yard of our cabin on Sheridan Lake almost every day!

... but of course they know that's where they are safe.

I saw a whitetail (spike buck) there for the first time this year.
    Last edited by Rampager; 10-16-2018 at 09:50 PM.

I have not seen whitetail. Although i only get 4-5 days of hunting up there. I did notice quite a few wolf tracks up the windy bowers area. I did see some does on the gas line but that was it.
    Decent whitetail numbers?

The Whitetail numbers I don’t think are great but definitely buy a tag if your hunting around there.

The whitetail are definitely on the rise. 15 years ago I don't think I remember seeing one whitey in the whole 5-1 / northern 3-30. Now, aside from the odd moose and resident mulie, they seem to be the only thing still kicking around those hills come mid October. Them and the wolves! There is a big pack (>15) that circuits windy mountain/ bowers/ english lake and they have cleaned up quite a bit of game.

they hang in pretty tight on the Bradly creek road