I will hunt older cut blocks for mulies, especially toward the end of the day where i like to sit and wait for an hour or two until the light fades to see what comes out
For blacktails, i find most of them are hunted pretty heavily already so i just hunt the timber.

I mind the wind and i try to move as quiet as possible and if i break a branch i'll just stop for a while. Remember, moving slow and being quiet isn't always about being stealthy ..... the less noise you make, the easier it is for you to hear OTHER noise around you. And when you're in thick blacktail timber you CAN hear them quite well, actually .... but not over your own noise that you're making.

Having said that, they almost always spot me first. They're just good at spotting predators. it's their job in order to survive. However, if you remain neutral and make no sudden movements, it is possible they won't be spooked and will just continue on their way. I have a video of a doe and yearling on my Instagram that passes by at 15 yards and I have time to get out my cell phone and start recording and she doesn't spook.

The only times i've been able to see them close undetected is while still hunting, when they come to you. A lot of people find still hunting boring .... but try it! You might be surprised what you see in just 45mins of sitting down overlooking a relatively open section of timber. They whould be moving around pretty good during the day Mid November onwards.