Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venturing off the island!

Venturing off the island!

I'm venturing off to 3-12 and 8-21 in a couple weeks. Hunting off the island for the first time (got a mule doe draw in 3-12 for Nov).

Just have few questions for you mainlanders:

Are you better off camping in group sites in that area, or just off in the bush on your own (from a theft and vandalism standpoint)?

Are there any good resources for road conditions (washouts etc...) from forestry companies or whoever out that way? (here on the island some of the logging co's have blogs with updates on road conditions)

Curious what the snow situation is like out there right now, i know you had a pretty good cold snap.

I'll post updates if/when we have some luck in this thread too!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Venturing off the island!

its tough to find deer in 3-12 in November, they all move down to lower elevations...hunt the border of 8-11 would be my suggestion...if you want to hunt 3-12 buy a moose tag and focus on trying to find a 2 point then if you run into a deer good. or hunt 8-11 for 4 points and moose just my.02

I do indeed have a moose tag. We're going the last week of Oct/1st week Nov. I had expected an indian summer when we planned this trip, obviously that didn't quite pan out, lol. The plan was to hunt 8-21 while in october, and bounce over to 3-12 in Nov to punch my doe tag.

That being said I'm also used to hunting Island Blacktails, so I'm used to not seeing anything.

What's the likelihood of actually encountering a moose? I basically bought the tag with the thinking it's a pretty long shot, but I'd be ticked off if I saw one and didn't have a tag. But I'd be ecstatic to bag a moose instead of a deer.
    Last edited by stevo911_; 10-09-2018 at 09:45 AM.

I'm local to the area. Good advice hunting zone 8 borders while still keeping legal in your LEH zonr. Last year it was warm in October and still one dump of snow on November first pushed the does towards greener pastures very quickly and with rut beginning to heat up early November the bucks are hot on their heals...this year we have already had snow, and it has been below zero and frosting pretty much every night for 2 weeks.

Though I find you'll do better if you hunt with the montra of "anywhere, anytime" in my short time as a hunter I've had game animals break every "rule" as to where or when you would not see them.

As for road conditions, do be careful back in there as several of the main roads are severely washed out (completely not passable) and ones around a semi blind corner depending on your direction.. it was flagged when I was out there but you never know.

Lots of good country up there...and a decent moose population. Lakes will be starting to freeze up and the group sites should be fine that time of the year, just lock stuff up in case. And bring a set of chains just in case.

Oh, also endure you have good tires. Bring chains, and anything else you may need.. some of those roads are very very slick clay/mud and even at slow speeds you'll still slide right off the road .. I've learned the hard way a couple times.

Thanks for the tips guys, I've got less than year old 31" BFG AT KO2's and chains, so I should be OK tire wise.

Any good resources on finding where said washouts might be? I had a couple areas I was planning on focusing on, and have heavily google earthed. But that won't do me any good if I can't get to them.

I'm aiming to not slide off the road at all, my truck is still newish to me and shiny/undented!
    Last edited by stevo911_; 10-09-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo911_ View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys, I've got less than year old 31" BFG AT KO2's and chains, so I should be OK tire wise.

Any good resources on finding where said washouts might be? I had a couple areas I was planning on focusing on, and have heavily google earthed. But that won't do me any good if I can't get to them.

I'm aiming to not slide off the road at all, my truck is still newish to me and shiny/undented!
    I feel that pain, I hunted hard last year with my truck starting with about 50km on it haha.

I think I may have the coordinates of the washouts on my GPS but one of my buddies has that on an elk hunt. Shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can get them for you when he returns.

Weather is fickle this time of year in these parts. Altitude is a game changer, be prepared. A good resource for snow conditions are webcams at ski resorts & backcountry lodges in the area you intend to hunt. I returned from hunt near Vanderhoof last week & we had light snow 1 day. Clinton got more.

Windy Lake is a good camp spot I used to go off the coke as bear main ? then take the Jake pine out . Dam I should be there now