Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day Trip Close to Vancouver

Day Trip Close to Vancouver

Hi everyone,
    Since work has gotten crazy I'm only able to make day trips to hunt for Deer.
    I'm in Vancouver and wondering where would be a good place for day trips/over nighters. I was thinking Pemberton/Goldbridge or Boston Bar or around there. Looking for a 2-3 hour drive from home, ideally leaving at 4-5am and get there before first light. Don't need honey holes but that would be a bonus haha

Thanks in advance for the tips

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Day Trip Close to Vancouver

Something I said?

check out around merritt, logan lake etc

Quote Originally Posted by Carrollizer View Post
    Something I said?
    I think if someone has a spot that qualifies, the last thing they'll want to do is announce it publicly and watch the influx of hunters to have their 'spot' ruined / overrun.

Hard to argue with that, but frustrating. Was out scouting for locations this weekend within driving distance of Vancouver, not much success. I remember a thread from here where the suggestion was that anything a short drive from Vancouver, you better be prepared to hike in for a long ways from any road that would make things accessible. Which, in the dense bush, isn't going to be easy

Good luck!

Take up bowhunting and hit bowen

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    Take up bowhunting and hit bowen
    Interestingly enough this is the first year I'm confident shooting a bow... You could be on to something...

Quote Originally Posted by cptnoblivious View Post
    I think if someone has a spot that qualifies, the last thing they'll want to do is announce it publicly and watch the influx of hunters to have their 'spot' ruined / overrun.

Hard to argue with that, but frustrating. Was out scouting for locations this weekend within driving distance of Vancouver, not much success. I remember a thread from here where the suggestion was that anything a short drive from Vancouver, you better be prepared to hike in for a long ways from any road that would make things accessible. Which, in the dense bush, isn't going to be easy

Good luck!
    Yeah I kind of figured, wasn't really looking for a direct coordinate answer. More like try MU2-11 or something. Guess I'll go back to Google Earth and see what the satellites see and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrollizer View Post
    Yeah I kind of figured, wasn't really looking for a direct coordinate answer. More like try MU2-11 or something. Guess I'll go back to Google Earth and see what the satellites see and go from there.
    I've been doing some of that too.

Found that some of the more interesting stuff has old images (2011) and so may show openings that now, 7 years later, will be all grown in, and on the flipside there maybe new(ish) cut blocks that could be perfect to check out but won't be shown. Still, probably one of the best options just for finding general areas to check out, then get out and hike in.

You have any idea how many hundreds of blacktail deer you are passing by on your way to gold bridge or Boston bar?

Pick a south facing slope on a mountain up in squamish that has no named hikes nearby or too many logging roads for ATVs. Park and hike. Hike in for a couple of hours and look for sign. And dont stop till you find it.

Not sure you have a better option for day trips.

Why drive an extra 3 hrs when you could be hunting an extra 3 hrs

[QUOTE=Carrollizer;2040457]Hi everyone,
    Since work has gotten crazy I'm only able to make day trips to hunt for Deer.
    I'm in Vancouver and wondering where would be a good place for day trips/over nighters. I was thinking Pemberton/Goldbridge or Boston Bar or around there. Looking for a 2-3 hour drive from home, ideally leaving at 4-5am and get there before first light. Don't need honey holes but that would be a bonus haha

day trips can work, as do over-nighters (done both over the years.......esp. when the kids were young)

this year, as reported by others, deer seem to be a bit scarce yet boston bar, princeton or the area both sides of the coquihalla between merritt and kammy all hold pockets of deer

(these pockets do move around a bit tho so best advice is to just find a FSR and drive)

as you likely know, it would be hard to have any expectation of success with that little time, yet with some snow on the ground i would just drive around till you see deer (or fresh tracks) and work it from there

sometimes you get lucky right off the bat; most times you don't yet if you use each trip as an entry for your own 'book of knowledge' then you'll be fine

the deer are everywhere.........and nowhere

most importantly, the deer are where they are; not where you want them to be...........

go in cold, look for sign and good luck

then send us pictures

xo

chris