Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staying warm - Merritt to Vernon

Staying warm - Merritt to Vernon

I hate that I have to ask this as I feel it should be obvious, however I grew up in the lower mainland and it does not get very cold here.

Now that my son and I are venturing out in the fall to areas between Merritt, Princeton, Vernon, etc. the weather is not what we're used to and it will only get colder. So far I've been doing ok dressing in layers with Cabela's Rain Suede jacket and pants as an outer with Salomon Quest 4D hiking boots that I use in the summer with warm socks. My son tends to get cold easily which really ruins the hunt for him and makes me feel like a terrible father.

The boots need to be upgraded for sure, feet are starting to get cold. I've been looking at the Irish Setter Elk Tracker boots, Schnee Granite Boots (only 200g insulation), and some lower priced Cabelas brand boots or those in the same ball park.

For myself I don't mind spending the money on a good pair but for my son I try to keep the price lower as he grows out so fast. Usually a pair a season, I scored a good pair of Salomon last year for him at Value Village for $20 bucks.

We have no idea what insulation weight to get for boots. We both wear merino wool long johns, then a pair of hiking pants. We have synthetic or merino wool undershirts, a fleece long sleeve top for over that, then an outer layer, sometimes we'll wear a light down jacket over the fleece and under the outer layer.

We do have gloves, mitts, head gear, etc. We have hand warmers with us when required.

We don't want to be too cold or hot, yet we want to stay warm... I feel like Goldilocks.

Where do we start?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Staying warm - Merritt to Vernon

Dress in layers. Fewer layers when hiking and more layers when you stop. If you sweat when hiking then stopping and sitting will be miserable. Start out cold, you will heat up.

Boots are harder to add/remove layers. I use hot mocs (https://www.cabelas.ca/product/25723...oeboot-warmers) with a hand warmer in them when it gets really cold. Also I carry a lightweight (2 lbs) quilt with a foot box for my son. When we stop he slips his feet in that and wraps himself in it. Great way to stay warm.

Puffy coats are great and I want to invest in some puffy pants (down or synthetic) to add when we stop and sit. Also, a good neck warmer really seals in the heat.

Lastly, chemical hand warmers are excellent to add extra heat.

Good wool socks are a cheap way of staying warm. Just make sure the boots aren't too tight. Nothing makes feet cold faster than boots that are a half size too small.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Snow appears to be a bit earlier this year at higher elevations...maybe will warm up a bit yet. If planning on hiking around footwear will be one of the most important things. Cold wet feet make for miserable time even if back at truck and driving between areas. Dry feet is key to happiness and staying warm. If on lower budget for the boy may want to check out the rubber Kamlik boots with felt liner in CanTire and get him several pairs of good socks. Others will likely talk to clothing which is fairly straight forward. Layoring is key, wool and fleece, touques and gloves are your friends for Nov deer hunts in the interior. Much dryer snow than the coast. If hunting late Oct in that area likely won’t see much snow, just cooler temps in morn/eve.

Thanks for the replies.

What insulation weight do you recommend for boots? And do you always go up 1 size?

I mainly hunt north of Kamloops (3-27 / 3-28 ). Probably it's similar to where you're hunting. My system is:
    • an Icebreaker Merino base layer,
    • fleece pants and zippered jacket,
    • A puffy jacket,
    • Gore-tex outer layer (the quiet stuff from Cabelas),
    • Merino gloves / with fleece gloves in the pack,
    • A ball cap / with a toque in the pack,
    • Wool socks with different boots depending on the weather (Muck boots, waterproof hikers, snow boots, or trail runners).

I take off or add layers as required, which works pretty well for me.

On truly cold hunts, which for me is usually a moose hunt up north from a tree stand, I have heavier wool gear, but that stuff isn't good for walking.
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

I'll add a few thoughts. Just got back from hunting last week in region 3 up at 5k feet and it was colder than normal. Had a -13C morning (thank goodness for wall tents and air-tight stoves).

1 - for sitting and glassing, I thought it would have been real convenient to have packed a small wool blanket to put over my legs while I sat. Folds up easy enough for the backpack, and hell, if something were to go wrong and you had to unexpectedly spend a night outdoors, it might be a lifesaver too.
    2 - we tried this for the first time and it worked like a hot damn. Dad and I packed in a blind and two chairs to our glassing location at the cut block we were sitting in. This noticeably reduced the exposure to wind and kept us way warmer than the evening before.
    3 - big puffy fleece gloves work best for me for keeping my hands warm. i've got about 4 different types of gloves, all different materials and costs, but my $10 walmart camo fleece gloves are the most comfy for long periods sitting and glassing.
    4 - I bought 1000 gram Irish Setters. Didn't plan on them, but the were out of the lighter boots in my foot size. I certainly don't regret it

Good points brought up here. I'm headed that way for the first time at the end of the month, and also use Salomon Quest boots.
    I have these guys, wondering if they might be more suitable for the cold and/or snow since I can wear thicker socks with them:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hu...0030p.html#srp

Quote Originally Posted by Lugg View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

What insulation weight do you recommend for boots? And do you always go up 1 size?
    Get your regular size. Any insulation will pack down a bit anyhow, especially with felt packs. Don’t want them slopping around on your feet especially if hiking around and across side slopes etc

If you get good quality boots, 200 gr thinsulate will be enough! I hunting in -20 in mine and had no problems. I use a double sock system too: think merino liner and then a good quality merino think pair over the top. No blisters and toasty warm, even on the coldest days.