Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Staying warm - Merritt to Vernon

Re: Staying warm - Merritt to Vernon

Quote Originally Posted by Lugg View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

What insulation weight do you recommend for boots? And do you always go up 1 size?
    I don't worry about a lot of insulation in boots I think 200 gram or so is anti? Good enough. Invest in some good socks. . I worked outside up north all year and used to go with thick Icelandic wool back in the day. Today my go to's believe it or not are Bass Pro's in house brand 'Redhead' heavy winter socks. There's lots of good ones out there just some big techy heavy socks with a moisture management system be they merino or synthetic. Wouldn't necessarily go up a size for new boots for junior just go shopping with the heavy socks and light under socks if you do that. (I just go with one pair of socks). And make sure the boots fit, not too short not too wide just nice and junior will be golden. This will work to like ajr says -20 anyway. If it gets much colder than that really its time for serious felt pack boots or the like but you won't see temps anywhere near this where you're going during hunting season. Other than that your existing clothing list sounds pretty good.
    Last edited by Salty; 10-11-2018 at 09:18 PM.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Re: Staying warm - Merritt to Vernon

My Irish Setter Elk Trackers are over 10 years old, I think they are 600 weight insulation.
    I wear them in almost any weather other than warm, say over 10 degrees and they've served me well.
    My toes and fingers are very badly affected by cold temps and I've never had cold toes in the Trackers even in the middle of the Tulameen winters.