Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Another EK Elk Hunt Down the Tubes

Re: Another EK Elk Hunt Down the Tubes

I feel the moose are doomed as the elk are pushing them out like the white tail due the mule deer

Quote Originally Posted by okas View Post
    I feel the moose are doomed as the elk are pushing them out like the white tail due the mule deer
    It's a good thing the Moose are LEH up there (I say that sadly, as years ago they were open).
    Yes, there is a Spike/Fork Season with bow and then rifle, but to be honest, that for the most part is just a "money grab",
    getting us all to go out and buy a tag, imo.
    Now, if you get the LEH, that's another story, and I have to say where I hunt, I am seeing Moose quite often, and some nice ones!
    But, if it was a GOS, they would be gone!

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    ^^ precisely. The drop in the population from 14000 to 6000 was not a surprise. It was intentional. And when I want 30,000 elk and hunters want a "huntable population", we need to be very clear with our expectations. Government, trying to find the middle ground, sees "sustainable" as very different than you and I.
    When I speak with Government managers I ask them to help me understand what they mean by sustainable populations. And whether or not they, as Gov employees support having huntable populations.
    Yup J-T, I just "got it"!!!
    Here I was under the impression that we were still wanting to achieve 25,000 head of elk.
    Now reading, and better understanding your posts, I now know exactly what you are talking about.

That is a scary realization folks!
    Think about it everyone.
    At one time, we probably did have 25-30,000 elk in the Trench.
    Not too long ago, we were hearing reports of 8,000.
    That means you when you could have possibly seen 3 elk, you now only have the chance to see 1.
    And now, with the reality of the #'s being in the area of 6,000 (which is already a 25% decrease from just a year or so ago),
    you could have seen 4-5 elk for every 1 you see now!

So, we have an area, that had 25,000 elk.
    Now we are going to allow the "powers that be", to have only as much as 12,000 elk (if they get that right?), which means that is a 50% reduction in elk since the 70's!

So, what is going to be the "acceptable amount" say, 20 years from now???
    I can just see it, I will be on my death bed, my daughter will come up to me and say "hey dad!, I just read an article that
    says the ministry is going to make every effort to sustain 6000 head of elk in the Trench"!!!???.
    (a further 50% reduction, and 5x's fewer elk as historical highs).
    So, that's what we are really dealing with!