Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Another EK Elk Hunt Down the Tubes

Re: Another EK Elk Hunt Down the Tubes

So, how about KNP?
    I remember in 1976, my dad and friends, looking for new areas to hunt to get away from the "Bull River Crowds".
    I remember that night, driving thru the park, around Kootenay Crossing, counting well over 200 head of elk, standing right next to the highway, over a 10 mile stretch (miles back then).
    Tons of Elk around back then.
    Then, it died out over time.
    Word was, it was due to the "bad habitat", and it was probably true, since the park probably hadn't seen a real fire in over 100 years, due in part to policy, "fire suppression".
    Then as the onset of logging happened outside the park, is was abundantly clear the elk were leaving for better food sources.
    At that time, Wolves were never even considered to be the issue, habitat was.

Now, sometime around 2002-2003, someone came up with the idea to transplant some park elk from some other park,
    put tags and collars on them, and released them in KNP.
    I have to say, who ever came up with that idea, and who ever "signed off" on that idea, should have been fired!
    Lets see, tons of elk had left the park, so you think 10 or so are going to be different???
    What an utter waste of money and resources, imo.
    On top of that, you don't release park elk into an area where you almost surely know, they will end up right out of the park, and a GOS area. (my understanding, the elk left the park inside 24hrs!)
    Save park elk for areas where you wish to "transplant elk" into areas where you want elk to one day roam, that at the present time, don't have a season for them.
    And if I can add, to no longer consider transplants right next to major FN Reservations etc.
    (they can spend the cash we gave them to get their own elk, imo)
    Anyways, just got a little pissed there.

So, since then, KNP has had a "Huge Fire", but from my understanding and many I have talked to, the elk still haven't returned.
    Like J-T said, hard to have elk come back, even to great habitat, if they don't even exist, especially in the winter range/low altitude areas to begin with.
    So, good habitat, but no elk, in a traditionally good area to hold elk from past history.

Here is the Cows which led to the demise of a nice 6pt bull, right at opening, a day before I got there, which was taken about
    6ft from where I place the camper.
    (is that even legal to shoot something that close to your vehicle...lol)
    Sorry for the crap photo.

I envy you guys that's used to hunt when the elk hunting was "good"....not saying this is the case but I seem to always hear these same things elk are quite not seeing them. I've been hunting the same spot in the koots for 5 years a road that ppl said you need a Bush bumper to get through camps yet every single year the elk are there 3 4 kilometers back in bowls where there are no ppl some in nearly un harvestable places. The elk are there there just smart watched a 6 point scrape a tree on the rocks in the alpine for half a hour begging of sep bugling with no calls needed. Skunked the last few years with multiple oppurtunities

There's still some big boys out there they dont get big running around the cutblocks

Quote Originally Posted by .308SLAYER View Post
    There's still some big boys out there they dont get big running around the cutblocks
    True, but they cant stay up there forever.
    And that is where the issue is.
    There are 3 main rivers, so 3 main valleys with scree slopes, cut blocks and bowls a plenty up there!
    Thing is, eventually the snow comes in, and they have to move out of either of these 3 valleys, to join into
    a single "medium" river valley, which then flows into the "big one".
    Problem is, as was my conversation with the GO, there isn't much coming thru, and his cabin and my main location is
    basically a "pinch point".
    The cut blocks and benches are other areas I try as well.
    I used to be like you, thinking the others were just doing it wrong, or not being patient enough etc etc.
    I outlasted the last group by 10 years, but it's finally starting to hit home for me as well.
    Like J-T said, some will have success based on their individual experiences, but the "many" will know that there are some
    real issues happening, and as he said, the locals see it better then most.

Elk amaze me the distances they can travel and there ability to hide dont know how many times I've found the herd because that one cow gave them away...the last few years kicked my ass big difference between finding elk and killing them beautiful pictures and country op sorry to hear about your honey hole

Want to talk "Bowls"???
    Okay, but first I have to apologize, I don't have phots of those, I would have to dig thru my dads photo album and scan pics.
    But, I an offer you a Trail, a game trail, and a horse trail that very few know or knew about.
    It went up this creek for miles, coming into some of the greatest elk hunting bowls you could imagine.
    But with age, packing all the way out, gets harder, so the attempts to go in there to hunt lessen over the years, especially when the only pack horse is your own 2 feet and ailing back.

Let me show you what has also happened to "Corridors" for Elk to come from those (Alpine Deep Back Bowls, not just cut blocks).
    I cant even remember how many bulls and their cows came down this creek trail, over the years but lots!
    Also one across the river from this one as well, with back country bowls etc, and a game trail.

This is what happens after years of Beetle Kill, and one big Flood.
    Do you all think much is going back up that way to those bowls?
    Do you think much is going to "come down in the Fall from those Bowls on this trail any longer"???

Quote Originally Posted by .308SLAYER View Post
    Elk amaze me the distances they can travel and there ability to hide dont know how many times I've found the herd because that one cow gave them away...the last few years kicked my ass big difference between finding elk and killing them beautiful pictures and country op sorry to hear about your honey hole
    Fair enough.
    Just remember, it wasn't just my "honey hole".
    There was enough room for several parties of hunters to enjoy, and have the potential for success.
    If anything, like others said, just to hear them bugle, or chase one here and chase another there.
    That's the sad part.
    This should have Elk, not just for me, but for "future generations" like my Daughter and you children as well someday.

That's the only reason I am putting this together, to hopefully "open eyes".
    If it costs me giving up my "honey hole", so be it.
    I want to at least try to make a difference for the future.

As the elk population decreases, I assure you, you will either face competing with other hunters looking for those same elk,
    or worse, it will dry up as well.
    I was in your boat not too long ago.
    Please understand, I am not trying to put down your achievements, you should be proud of what you are achieving.
    But, we are missing elk in a lot of places that should have elk, or , a lot more elk.

Did come across the article of today.
    I am surprised at the amount of elk they "only want to have"???
    I thought, if everything was good, and all factors were aligned, that we should be able to sustain 20-25,000 head of elk.
    Now I see they are only trying to now sustain under 12,000??
    https://www.columbiavalleypioneer.co...east-kootenay/

^^ precisely. The drop in the population from 14000 to 6000 was not a surprise. It was intentional. And when I want 30,000 elk and hunters want a "huntable population", we need to be very clear with our expectations. Government, trying to find the middle ground, sees "sustainable" as very different than you and I.
    When I speak with Government managers I ask them to help me understand what they mean by sustainable populations. And whether or not they, as Gov employees support having huntable populations.

well it was the cow season for elk and moose was the start as all the bug kill and gas and power lines moved a lot of game around this spread them out and now the elk are in small bunches . With eyes and ears wide open and all the logging lots of food now