Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Another EK Elk Hunt Down the Tubes

Re: Another EK Elk Hunt Down the Tubes

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    The best summer range in the world doesn't mean a thing if the winter range doesn't have the carrying capacity to support higher numbers. Populations will always be limited by this. Poor quality habitat and high predator numbers means one thing for ungulates. Most are coming around and figuring that out but others still want to scream for more regulations.

Fund it, burn some significant country, have a predator management plan and start protecting vital winter range. Look at some of the states that are similar to BC: They don't have useless antler point restrictions like we do here and instead harvest both sexes and across all age classes. That in addition to all the things mentioned above results in great quality habitat and sustainably high game numbers available to hunt.

A lot of hunters are coming around but there are still a large percentage that think everything will be solved by if we just keep restricting seasons. It hasn't worked for 40+ years but why not give it another try eh!
    Yup, I still am of the same opinion.
    The lack of #'s has nothing to do with point restriction.
    If it had, this thread would not have been started by me.
    This is about low #'s!
    This is about a very "Complex Set of Issues".
    This isn't about hunters "shooting it to shit", except for the policies that have left us with no other alternatives where it applies!

Remember the days of going to the Bull River, and I camp every 50 yards or so!?
    Well, now the hunting is so bad, that many here in the LM, including my other hunting partners are talking that next year,
    we are "gong to the Peace Region"!!

Talk about forcing hunters to fit tighter and tighter into a barrel, just to go hunt, and trip over themselves.
    If we don't start growing Ungulates soon in all corners of the Province soon, it will be that there isn't much around for any of us to pursue.
    Sure, there will be success here and there, but, this is not the type of situation any of us want to endure.

Definitely would agree, big changes along the Columbia since the 2000's and all the new development, and city folk moving up to be hobbyist farmers etc.
    Another big change at about the same time.
    More Winter Range Lost for sure.

Here's a bull I seen 2 years straight, always a 5pt.
    And yes, both times with cows.
    It does not mean his offspring will only be 5 pt's, but he does carry the gene.

I am probably going to get flack for this again, when 25 percent of the bull elk harvest last year in the East Kootenays was spike bull elk, when one family shoots 2 or more bulls because they can,
    when you shoot an elk or a deer for the old guy down the street who cant get out, when your human greed gets us in a pickle with ungulate populations as well as the mining,
    the logging and the predators the quickest band aid starts with us. The whitetails in the Elkvalley are in bad shape but I bet a lot of you reading this will shoot some does for sausage,
    at what cost do you need to eat a little wild meat? Get out and look for hunting opportunities not killing opportunities. We are very responsible for the wildlife being in the tank,
    as much as predators and industry. Just my opinion, not saying I am right or wrong, just think about having to feel success by pulling the trigger maybe let a few things walk to get
    bigger or older or spread its genes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Here's a bull I seen 2 years straight, always a 5pt.
    And yes, both times with cows.
    It does not mean his offspring will only be 5 pt's, but he does carry the gene.

NICE bull! fully mature and ready for harvest.... in 7b

My way of hunting inside Vehicle Restriction Areas.

So, am I alone.
    From the pm's I am getting, nope.
    One pm was similar to my past hunting experiences.
    Having that one area you just couldn't wait to get to!
    So, you saw my rig, and I would have to push that piece of crap uphill for almost 2 hrs, to get to this place.
    The Bench (something to always look for when looking/searching out new elk spots).
    I couldn't wait to get up there, glass for a bit, then let out a high pitched bugle!
    4 out 5 times, you would get an immediate reply! (not always 6's however, but stimulating none the less!)

Heres the question:

Are all Cut Blocks created equally, and are "all of them good"!????
    This one was!
    Elk would feed in here, or hang out in it, but at some point, they will bed, get out of those near 30+ C temps we have had for years!
    To the right of the cut block, on the hillside in the foreground, the elk would travel to get into shade, plus, there was a decent flowing creek in there, that for one, they could get all their daily water needs, and secondly, because this stream was fast flowing, and in the shade, due to mature timber, it acted like a "natural air conditioner" for the elk.
    Absolutely a perfect scenario, and it showed.
    All components in perfect alignment for good habitat, elk and hunting.

Now, again, are all cut blocks equally as good????
    As the "Bench" started to grow up, this new Block happened.
    Now, if you look, to the upper left area of the new cut block, just beside it is that sane fast flowing creek that the elk would go for water, cooling and more the anything, bedding!

Can you guess what happened??
    Yup, area became void of elk very quickly, with no elk sign, or droppings at all.
    They did not us it.
    My thoughts, this was a bedding area, not a feeding area.

So, do bedding areas have any consideration before logging happens?
    (Again, not trying to blame the logger folks here, after all, my place is made from lumber, we need it)
    Just asking others thoughts, or have any ever consider the "impacts of some cut blocks".
    To me, some are great for feed, while others were, in my opinion, bedding areas/wallow, that required the mature growth stay put. (that's it for now, stories and pics soon)

I have some bad but realistic news... its not any better in 7B the peace pops are way down dad went up with little bro didn't see a moose or elk the whole 10 days. Also 2 different groups of buddy's went up one group saw 2 bulls no cows or calfs both not legal in an 8 day trip the other 2 weeks and saw 2 cows and shot 1 6 point bull .

Doesn't surprise me, when you see on FB how many guys head up that way now to hunt elk from the LM, probably due in part
    to the bad situation in their old EK spots.
    I remember the year it was starting to look bad, and ex guide stopped by to chat, who had horses and said, next year he was headed to the Peace, due to how grim it was looking where I hunt.
    I should have taken his advice, I may of had a few good seasons in before "word really got out".
    Don't get me wrong, elk still in the EK, and if you have friends with private property, all the better, but it's no where near what
    it should be.
    Still elk there in the Peace to, but we are all being pushed into the same small boxes to hunt them.
    No room to spread out due to lack of availability.