How much I would enjoy sharing pics and a success story from our recent EK Elk Hunt.
But, that's not to be.
This is by far the longest dry spell I have had now, but this year was in my opinion brutal and I am
concerned for a bleak future still to come.
I am not saying that the past few years, that I didn't have chance here or there, and even may have
screwed up on those hunts at times, but after this season, something is going to have to change.

I thought over the next little while, I would share some of my past experiences, how I succeeded, how
I felt I screwed up, and all the stuff in between.

I thought I would also share what I am seeing as far as the bad, the good and the odd, as it pertains
to the wildlife in the area, in regards to years ago, the changes over the years and the now.

All I can say is (and I don't say this lightly), but I suspect some major overhaul to the R4 elk hunting
soon, at least in some MU's.
Ans I am going to talk about all that, and my thoughts on what I see is "not working" and is going wrong, and some of the "odd" stuff that is being created due to all the changes in the area.

So, give me some time to put my thoughts together here, to collect some photos to share as well.
I will try to give some of you here "the ways I have hunted" that have created success", and what didn't,
and what I look for and where etc.
But there will be some real concerns contributed to the thread as well, and something we all have to think to "as why it is so bad" right now??!

But, one thing I will not blame, is "over hunting"!, at least not in the past 15 years around there.
Not like it was years ago, in the 70's and 80's and slowly trickling out in the late 90's/ early 2000's.

Ironically, I spoke to a local as I was packing up, also going in on mountain bike for the day.
He also understood the lack of game, especially elk, in the area.
But at one point is said, well it's due to overhunting....???
"That why the locals have nicknamed the it "Shot to Shit EK""!!!?????

Sorry, I see no evidence of that.
The road hunting is limited, the access restricted, antler size restriction and virtually no cow LEH to speak of!!, and depending on which one I just listed, have been in effect for atleast 15 years already and much longer for others

This isn't a "Hunting/Hunter" issue we are facing, IMO.
This is much bigger then that, nor is it just Preds.
We have some serious thinking to do going forward.
Really, if nothing happens soon, we may not have the opportunities to hunt elk in some of these areas
that once had several elk in every scree slope you passed!

Right now I am trying to get in contact with the GO of the area, as he and his outfit wasn't even in
operation this year, from the best I can tell.
(so, not sure if it was a personal issue that he wasn't around?).
All I know is, even in the past 3 seasons, he only took 2 bulls from mu understanding.

So, again, more to come, and more for me to share over the coming days and weeks.