Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Our hunter conservationist

Re: Our hunter conservationist

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan f. View Post
    Ok, I'm at her work 5mins early. So not completely leaving the forum haha.

Your point rings true %100. But what's wrong with using forums like HBC? Or facebook groups that are private (like Alberta Hunting Addicts). I'm not advocating all photos and sharing be over. But choose the platforms for which you do it.

Edit: antis will always search it out. F^*$ them, they have made up their mind. It's the general public I simply want to respect. Some may see that as hiding. I see it as playing fair in the sandbox
    why not here? As far as I can tell the concept of hunting forums is dead. Too many faceless keyboard warriors hiding behind screen names attacking hunter after hunter. Animal is too big, animal is too small. I only shoot what I eat blah blah blah. Hunters played this game during the 2000s but got sick and tired of the constant attacks by fellow hunters, so 1 by 1 they left sites like this one. That and you can only argue about chute planes, governor tags, trail cams and ruber tape measures so many times. Lack of policing on hunting sites meant hunters sought out places where the individual can police things. IG and FB it is a simple remove and block to get rid of idiot comments. Now I have read some interesting stuff that actually claims the Anti groups purposefully sought out hunting forums and got screen names and were purposefully posting to create chaos and disension. They claim hundreds of sites were under Anti attacks in this manner. After seeing some of the Truth behind Raincoast that it had members posting here on HBC maybe this is a valid reason why hunting forums have pretty much died.

I personally agree with those that say to be proud of your harvest, so post them up, but I'm proud of the process it takes to harvest the animal, so I agree that it's usually better to post the whole story, the hike, the scenery, the packout, the meat after its processed etc, this will also educate the non hunting public of the whole process..

We should start posting pictures of slaughter houses and commercial meat operations. That would be a good counter-point.

I drive I-5 from L.A. to BC regularly, and there is a finishing lot along the side of the freeway that runs for more than a mile. There are tens of thousands of cattle rammed into tiny pens ankle deep in shit. Not exactly an ad for an easy life. There are way more meat eaters than vegan/vegis, so if they start to figure out how nasty regular non-freerange organic beef is, we might have a shot at redemption.

I hope EVERYBODY read this article and takes something positive away from it before they post pics on social media. There's nothing wrong with the slant on it, or the perspective of the article or that it is from the Canadian Brainwashing Corporation. There is a point in it that is worth reflecting on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Russell View Post
    I hope EVERYBODY read this article and takes something positive away from it before they post pics on social media. There's nothing wrong with the slant on it, or the perspective of the article or that it is from the Canadian Brainwashing Corporation. There is a point in it that is worth reflecting on.
    I think Bugle M In hit the nail on the head when he said the important thing to take from this article is that we are having a conversation about it. I would say, that is why there is this thread.

I see that Greg Mchale of Wild Yukon, whose photos were used in this article, posted in full support on Jim Shockey's facebook page. Greg and I follow each other on IG and have messaged back and forth. I really like what he is doing. He does a great job capturing the Hunt not just the Kill. Lots of guys on IG and Facebook doing just that. Be it Donnie Vincent or The Mountain Project, from Cameron Hanes to Kristy Titus, from Sitka to Kuiu. They are all doing what the writer of this article suggests. And one can say, the Shockey's lead the way.

On a side note, I see the B&C posted up another Shane Mahoney video saying how hunters should not be divided. Strange posting after the Long Range Hunting video where Shane divides hunters by.saying long range hunting is not hunting. I'm sure B&C received some backlash from that one. They have tried to virtue signal that the are better because of Fair Chase but that hasn't turned out to garner more support from the public. Esoecially in the day and age of Governor Tags and 365 day a year seasons for the rich dude that buys them. These tags are totally accepted into the B&C and many times one can argue the lack of fair chase that goes into some of these so-called hunts. The Oregon buck from this year is a prime example. A city pet deer with gobs of video of kids feeding it out of their hands or guys brushing it with a dog brush. But it was a monster and some rich guy just shot it. Everything is legal. They had permission to be on the private land where it was killed. But....the question, is that fair chase?

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    On a side note, I see the B&C posted up another Shane Mahoney video saying how hunters should not be divided. Strange posting after the Long Range Hunting video where Shane divides hunters by.saying long range hunting is not hunting. I'm sure B&C received some backlash from that one. They have tried to virtue signal that the are better because of Fair Chase but that hasn't turned out to garner more support from the public. Esoecially in the day and age of Governor Tags and 365 day a year seasons for the rich dude that buys them. These tags are totally accepted into the B&C and many times one can argue the lack of fair chase that goes into some of these so-called hunts. The Oregon buck from this year is a prime example. A city pet deer with gobs of video of kids feeding it out of their hands or guys brushing it with a dog brush. But it was a monster and some rich guy just shot it. Everything is legal. They had permission to be on the private land where it was killed. But....the question, is that fair chase?
    I applaud them for stepping up and at least creating the conversation a bit more as an organization. Sure, they would have received backlash, but I'm sure they expect it and likely its an expected outcome. I think its a bit refreshing to see an organization at least put out their opinion on something. Every group these days is so scared of any conflict that they tippy-toe around controversial topics in an attempt to 'save face' while not just taking a stance on something. Sure, its hunters choices to be a part of those groups and support or not support them in the end. I like the discussion, and personally have done the 'long range' thing in the past and have some mixed thoughts on it now. Like anything 'ethic' related its going to stir up some interesting conversation. No different than some hunters stances on inches, governor tags, etc.

In the end, they are creating conversation, and more than not putting out some pretty important messaging, so for that I'll stand with them personally.

There is one thing I do agree on with this thread hunters need to improve our image but I don’t see this having anything to do with pics

My opinion is that our public image will only be improved by engaging the public more on a positive level. Put more effort into getting the non hunting public involved in conservation projects with hunters/hunting organizations. Show more coverage with media or social media on conservation projects that is geared to be seen by the non hunting public not just hunters. This can help show hunters involvement in conservation rather then just saying it

engage the public beyond just trying to defend ourselves against antis, a loss of opportunity or a conflict.

The biggest one conduct yourself in a manner that does not make hunters look like idiots out in the bush around the public. Basically don’t be an entitled idiot slob

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    There is one thing I do agree on with this thread hunters need to improve our image but I don’t see this having anything to do with pics

My opinion is that our public image will only be improved by engaging the public more on a positive level. Put more effort into getting the non hunting public involved in conservation projects with hunters/hunting organizations. Show more coverage with media or social media on conservation projects that is geared to be seen by the non hunting public not just hunters. This can help show hunters involvement in conservation rather then just saying it

engage the public beyond just trying to defend ourselves against antis, a loss of opportunity or a conflict.

The biggest one conduct yourself in a manner that does not make hunters look like idiots out in the bush around the public. Basically don’t be an entitled idiot slob
    So in your opinion what are some of things that make hunters look like idiots or slobs as you say in the bush and around the public.

One of the local rod and gun clubs here has a big game dinner and quit a few of the people that attend are non-hunters, they use to do various other projects
    such as building and installing goose nests were non -hunters would help, and clean up of areas etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    This^^^

the Truth of the matter is years ago hunters/trappers started becoming more secretive and trying not to offend the public in hopes that we would be left alone by anti’s and those offered by hunting guess what it failed

Want to see hunting thrive in the future do what we do with honour and pride. Respect the bush we use and the animals we take. Be vocal but conduct yourself in a professional manner

All for keeping pics respectful but for myself this is about respect for the animal not some anti. I support none kill pics showing all aspects of the hunt because they are part of the story

Want to preserve hunting for the future stop shooting signs, stop throwing beer cans or hanging them on branches all over the bush, clean your Sh!t up when packing up camp, don’t trespass, don’t shoot animals in unsafe locations or private land without permission, play by the rules don’t try to bend them, throw hides and heads off the road out of sight, fight for conservation not exploitation of wildlife, have respect for what we do, and don’t be an idiot

Stop pissing off the general public and they are less likely to listen to antis over hunters

Some days I go out hunting and I find the actions of those who call themselves hunters embarrassing now just imagine what the non hunting public thinks when they cross paths with idiots in camo

LBM, he already said earlier in the thread. Here it is again in case you missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    LBM, he already said earlier in the thread. Here it is again in case you missed it.
    Thanks Dana, good list.