Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Our hunter conservationist

Re: Our hunter conservationist

Quote Originally Posted by ironnoggin View Post
    latest from shockey:

this will be a long one.

i for one, am sick and tired of being pushed around and bullied by people who don’t understand my way of life. I’ve had it with people who want me to think like them, act like them, dress like them and even eat like them! I am sick and tired of intolerant and arrogant people who want to save animals lives but then threaten the lives of young ladies who hunt, threaten to kill the children of hunters. I’m sick and tired of politicians who sway with the wind and stand for nothing but their own re-election. I’m tired of pretending that i’m ok with being marginalized for being a hunter, vilified for owning firearms and publicly ridiculed because i love my country and believe there is a god.....so i wrote a song.

it’s a rallying cry.

united, and with determination, if we vote in all the coming elections, there are enough of us to literally change the course of this world!!

if you want to be free...howl with me!!!

https://www.facebook.com/jimshockeyf...3594408930119/
    that is freakin awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Jordan, So how is posting a hunting photo on IG jamming it down anyone's throat? People choose to follow and can choose to unfollow if they are not interested in the feed. Why would the non-hunting world choose to follow the Shockey's. They openingly admit to be avid hunters. No one goes on their page without going there on purpose. According to IG, I have a fairly large following. I post a lot of wildlife and nature photography. But my page clearly states I have a passion for hunting. The vast majority of people who follow me are hunters. But I have quite a few outdoor enthusists from mountaneers to backcountry skiiers to mountainbikers to sledders to backcountry hikers to other outdoor photographers follow me. They all see my hunting pics and have the choice to unfollow me whenever they want. It always surprises me how many of those with nonhunting profiles like my hunting photos. No one is forcing anything on anybody. When I get attacked by antis, they are not on my follower list. They seek out hunters to attack them. Anti hunters are online bullies and go after the woman hunters the hardest. This is why Eva Shockey has thousands of death threats every day. But when it comes to general nonhunters, i have had tons of respectful dialogue and many leave educated because they didn't really #knowwhereyourfoodcomesfrom. This is the positives that social media has to bring awareness to the general public about what exactly it is that we do. Hiding is not an option. Sharing open and honestly is the best approach IMO.
    For every instagram page like yours, there is a 1000 that are nothing but dead animal after dead animal. It's everywhere. Even before I got into hunting and wasn't looking for it, it was everywhere. Facebook is a zoo.

Most people love hunting. Most of the general public is at the very least. Ok with hunting.

But why post dead animals? Why are hunters like 13year old girls once they shoot an animal? You can be a proud hunter and educate people without posting photos to every social media platform possible. I just don't get it.

When the pro's and con's are weighed out.. is it worth it?

Isn't having the antlers on your wall, posting photos here, and sending photos to your buddies enough? Does my facebook profile picture really need to be a dead bear, so my aunt in a different province has to see that everytime I post something?

I am VERY far from hiding the fact that I hunt. My truck has stickers, my hat is camo, and I have conversations with anyone who is interested... why do I need to post a photo and get a bunch of "likes". It's weird to me that grown adults even care what they can have as a facebook profile picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan f. View Post
    For every instagram page like yours, there is a 1000 that are nothing but dead animal after dead animal. It's everywhere. Even before I got into hunting and wasn't looking for it, it was everywhere. Facebook is a zoo.

Most people love hunting. Most of the general public is at the very least. Ok with hunting.

But why post dead animals? Why are hunters like 13year old girls once they shoot an animal? You can be a proud hunter and educate people without posting photos to every social media platform possible. I just don't get it.

When the pro's and con's are weighed out.. is it worth it?

Isn't having the antlers on your wall, posting photos here, and sending photos to your buddies enough? Does my facebook profile picture really need to be a dead bear, so my aunt in a different province has to see that everytime I post something?

I am VERY far from hiding the fact that I hunt. My truck has stickers, my hat is camo, and I have conversations with anyone who is interested... why do I need to post a photo and get a bunch of "likes". It's weird to me that grown adults even care what they can have as a facebook profile picture.
    Pretty good statement even about social media use in general and the 'need' that some people feel in posting....its an interesting beast what 'social' media has become....

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Latest from Shockey:

This will be a long one.

I for one, am sick and tired of being pushed around and bullied by people who don’t understand my way of life. I’ve had it with people who want me to think like them, act like them, dress like them and even eat like them! I am sick and tired of intolerant and arrogant people who want to save animals lives but then threaten the lives of young ladies who hunt, threaten to kill the children of hunters. I’m sick and tired of politicians who sway with the wind and stand for nothing but their own re-election. I’m tired of pretending that I’m ok with being marginalized for being a hunter, vilified for owning firearms and publicly ridiculed because I love my country and believe there is a God.....so I wrote a song.

It’s a rallying cry.

United, and with determination, IF we vote in ALL the coming elections, there are enough of us to literally change the course of this world!!

If you want to be free...Howl With Me!!!

https://www.facebook.com/JimShockeyF...3594408930119/
    Yes very good , and the statement is quit true.

Jordan,
    Why? Because most hunters have a ton of other hunters on their friends list. I for one have very very few people on my facebook that don't like hunting. Actually, zero would probably be the real answer. And just like sharing the campfire with family and friends has that hunter bond, so does the modern campfire of social media. my family and friends actually care about my success and I care about theirs. No different that posting vacation photos so your aunt or grandma can enjoy seeing the adventures you had. i met guys on sites like Monster Muleys close to 20 years ago. I am now keep in contact with them on FB and actually are interested in their personal lives just as much as the hunting lives. They have seen my kids grow up over the years and I now get to see their kids grow up. That is what hunting and social media can do. Just like IG, you can easily unfollow someone if you are tired of seeing what they post. No one is forced to see hunting photos. And with the way the programs work, you only see what you like anyways. I like a ton of hunting stuff, I don't have to see the cousin that sells amway on FB. Pretty easy.

Jordan,
    Why? Because most hunters have a ton of other hunters on their friends list. I for one have very very few people on my facebook that don't like hunting. Actually, zero would probably be the real answer. And just like sharing the campfire with family and friends has that hunter bond, so does the modern campfire of social media. my family and friends actually care about my success and I care about theirs. No different that posting vacation photos so your aunt or grandma can enjoy seeing the adventures you had. i met guys on sites like Monster Muleys close to 20 years ago. I am now keep in contact with them on FB and actually are interested in their personal lives just as much as the hunting lives. They have seen my kids grow up over the years and I now get to see their kids grow up. That is what hunting and social media can do. Just like IG, you can easily unfollow someone if you are tired of seeing what they post. No one is forced to see hunting photos. And with the way the programs work, you only see what you like anyways. I like a ton of hunting stuff, I don't have to see the cousin that sells amway on FB. Pretty easy.
    Hunters having been sharing success for a long time before social media. In fact, I'd argue it means more when someone takes the time to actually think of and share with you personally.

Is it easier then the alternatives? Yes. But easier doesn't always mean better.

Dana and Rackmastr both bring up important things. Community and education... but I'm off for an evening bird hunt with my girlfriend and puppy. I'll try to put my thoughts together later tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan f. View Post
    Hunters having been sharing success for a long time before social media. In fact, I'd argue it means more when someone takes the time to actually think of and share with you personally.

Is it easier then the alternatives? Yes. But easier doesn't always mean better.
    I don't think hunters from around the globe were comunicating with each other like today. The world is actually much smaller now. Friends and family used to live close by. For most now, this isn't the case. Social Media brings those friends back to the campfire. while you can debate they way things used to be done compared to the way things are now, as to which one is best, the fact is things will never again be like they used to be. Condemning new ways of doing things is just like the 1950's radio preacher railing against the evils of television. Now the tv preacher is railing against the evils of the internet.

I don't think hunters from around the globe were comunicating with each other like today. The world is actually much smaller now. Friends and family used to live close by. For most now, this isn't the case. Social Media brings those friends back to the campfire. while you can debate they way things used to be done compared to the way things are now, as to which one is best, the fact is things will never again be like they used to be. Condemning new ways of doing things is just like the 1950's radio preacher railing against the evils of television. Now the tv preacher is railing against the evils of the internet.
    Ok, I'm at her work 5mins early. So not completely leaving the forum haha.

Your point rings true %100. But what's wrong with using forums like HBC? Or facebook groups that are private (like Alberta Hunting Addicts). I'm not advocating all photos and sharing be over. But choose the platforms for which you do it.

Edit: antis will always search it out. F^*$ them, they have made up their mind. It's the general public I simply want to respect. Some may see that as hiding. I see it as playing fair in the sandbox