Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tire chains recommendation!?

Re: Tire chains recommendation!?

I bought a set of 4 heavy duty V-bar chains for my F150 with Duratracks on stock wheels. When test fitting I had some rubbing on the shocks covers in the rear and Control arms on the front. I would use them for getting though a tough spot but wouldn't feel great about putting many miles on them. With wheel spacers or a different offset I wouldn't have an issue. I wouldn't waste my money on the lighter duty chains. Just make sure you take the time to test drive/fit before you really need them.

I have a newer F-150 and I run v bars on the rear and cables on the front. The front doesn't have space for vbars against suspension. I got everywhere I needed to go.

Nothing wrong with running wheel spacers. The effect on wheel bearing life is no different than running a wheel with an equally adjusted back spacing. Spacers get a bad rap due to operator error.

You can't just toss them on and forget about them like 99% of us do when we mount a wheel. Like really, who re-torques a wheel?
    Spacers are generally made from a much softer grade of aluminum than wheels. They take a set, the nuts settle in some and the studs settle some as well, this relieves of the tension.. things get loose.

You have to pull the wheel off, re-torque the spacer within a few hundred km, and repeat again after a few hundred more than forget about it.

Ive found this to be the case only with new spacers. Once the studs and nuts have gone through the process, you can re-re them and never have to repeat the process.

Sure its a bit of a hassle but if it makes room for chains...

Tryggs are the best, hands down. This is what we run on our rigs on mining roads.

Reviving this thread because I just bought chains at Morfco in Langley. Amazing customer service. I called - the chains were in stock. I drove out to pick them up and the guy at the desk fitted the chains on my truck and cut off the extra link. All gratis - with a smile and a 'thank you for your business'. can't beat that with a stick.

If anybody is interested in 4 x 15/23/25 Navigator chains from Canadian Tire. They fit 265/65R17's - I know they will fit others but you will need to look up.

They have been on my truck exactly one time - for about a mile. They were required and so I put them on to keep from getting a ticket - even though I didn't need them.

I upsized my truck tires and needed bigger ones so these are for sale.

Looks like Canadian Tire has them for $221 a set. I have 2 sets. 125 a set or 200 for both seems pretty fair.

I'm in Vancouver but go to Kamloops frequently.