Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tire chains recommendation!?

Re: Tire chains recommendation!?

I think there’s still a good set on the govt auction site I think. I’ve gotten mine from western equipment in Prince George. As the others have said, buy good ones, stay away from the cable stuff.

Just use some quick links to secure the extra links or to extend them. Some trucks you can't run chains on the front so be careful.

With a half ton pick up, do most guys just put them on the rear? Or all 4 corners?

Morfco in kamloops sell good chains

Second vote for Morfco, they make them onsite for your vehicle and can adjust as needed.

Plus they were cheaper than lordco

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    With a half ton pick up, do most guys just put them on the rear? Or all 4 corners?
    typically yes, but different situations all depends on clearance...with 6" lift and 35's i'm tight on room at full lock with chains on, on my old truck lots of clearance....there have been occasions where I put both chains on driver or passenger side tires, so just be mindful of your clearance in those situations
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

I’ve only ever ran one set on the back, but others run them on all four corners. But as BRValley said, depends on the situation

I very rarely chain up the rear only. I actually don't know if I ever have with a 4wd.
    Im usually chained up front or all 4.

I run a set of cut down 11r22.5 v-bar 7 mm truck chains. No way I'm breaking those with my 1/2 tonne. I just use them on the back. With studded Duratraks and those chains, I am not worried at all about the roads. A little common sense is more useful than chains, though
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Wesco - $152 after tax... VC330 (V-bar with Cams) - talk to Albert... bought one set for now...

Their advice is consistent with most above - most common configuration is 2 in back for general traction on snow and ice. Front if you are stuck with a 4x4 and it is obvious your front end is the problem...
    both chains on one side or the other front and back if you are driving slippery switch backs and you want both steering and traction (all 4 corners would be the best option though). Cautioned about using all 4 corners while in 4x4 - short duration only as the drive ratio front to rear is not perfect and can cause driveline stress if you long haul and the surface is not forgiving.