Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Cache Creek game check

Re: Cache Creek game check

The Cache Creek Game check used to count the moose, the caribou the deer the bear b4, now they do internet and cell phones etc.

Jello Bannanno -- no more counting thee animules -- now we got computers --

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    Why does the act of abiding by the aw and reporting to a game check need to be something for a lawyer to deal with? Why can't hunters just stop and get inspected and have an interaction with a CO? There are many benefits for both the hunter and the CO in information exchange.
    Lawful hunters and conservationists understand the need to follow and not question the law. Game inspections and CO activity is the means to protect our precious resource and maintain our ability and right to harvest game. CO's should always conduct themselves in a professional manner and holding them to that is more important than arguing their right to inspect your licenses, game etc.
    Glad they were out there and hope they catch some serious bad guys. IMO.
    The problem is never the game check. It's that one co that you run in to that leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth and a feeling that you've been violated. There's one co in particular that I'm waiting to run in to again and when I do im expecting that we're going to be on the side of the road for quite a while while he impounds my truck. I'll resist anything he asks me to do.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Went through Sunday morning with my son's moose and my buck....nice guys, good chat....only problem was trying to get past the guys who don't know how to follow rules!!

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Mist View Post
    They 100% need a reason. In Canada its called the charter of rights. They can pull you over, but if their process isn't kosher then their charges get thrown out in court. Every peace officer in Canada has to have a reason as to why they are stopping you. As an example 99% of the time your stopped by police in your vehicle will be under premiss of investigating you under the motor vehicle act..... suppose you were speeding or didn't indicate turning etc. CO's do this under the wild life act, so your driving on a FSR or exiting a FSR onto a paved roadway. For them thats reasonable ground that you may have been participating in a wild life activity. If your driving with game visible in your truck, like antlers or quarters then there's a good reason sure. If nothing is visible then a CO can't tell you any different to any other member of the public, especially if your simply a resident in Cache creek. Its another story once your stopped, not answering truthfully is obstruction of justice. You don't have to give permission to a search either. Our charter of rights protects us from illegal detention, and that can be constituted by as much as physical position of an officer or officers, heck it can include "intimidating tone". I recall reading a story out of Saskatchewan i think earlier this year where a judge said it wasn't reasonable to pull over a truck because a cooler was visible in the bed. Something along the lines of a cooler has multiple purposes other then carry wild game meat and as such the CO didn't have the right to pull over and conduct a search.... as he's investigating under the wild life act. So maybe I have the story wrong but honestly I am just trying to understand the legal premise of the game check.
    Any peace officer can employ any act. So if youre driving, you can be stopped under the motor vehicle act. When they ask if you've been hunting, they can inspect you under the wildlife act. If you say that you haven't been hunting but the officer has a reason to suspect you have, you can still be searched, and you'll be in trouble for lying to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    Any peace officer can employ any act. So if youre driving, you can be stopped under the motor vehicle act. When they ask if you've been hunting, they can inspect you under the wildlife act. If you say that you haven't been hunting but the officer has a reason to suspect you have, you can still be searched, and you'll be in trouble for lying to them.
    sure , but they still need a valid reason as to why they are pulling you over. It can be anything even a concern over vehicle “safety”. but simply a huntch doesn’t stand up in court very well, it’s called due process. Every citizen has a right to it. Yes you have to be truthful when asked questions, you also have the right to say nothing at all. If they search your vehicle without permission or a warrant not sure what judge will accept that. I guess if life worked like that , you know make stuff up you see fit , next time I build a house I’ll get the electrician to sort of do his job, you know cause he meant well. Everyone is accountable including CO’s to their job correctly.
    All I’m wondering about is what’s the deal with game checks ? I hate to assume but maybe a judge provides some type of wide warrant for this to occur in a community ?

I know one thing,getting legal advice on a hunting website is much the same as getting legal advice from the table of knowledge at your local coffee shop.

Last year I got a warning ticket from a young and enthusiastic cop for my light bar not having an opaque cover on it.
    The other 2 older cops were shaking their head and shrugging their shoulders. All this when they went through all our stuff, tags, 2 deer. and TV crew interview as we had 2 female youth hunters that were successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    The problem is never the game check. It's that one co that you run in to that leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth and a feeling that you've been violated. There's one co in particular that I'm waiting to run in to again and when I do im expecting that we're going to be on the side of the road for quite a while while he impounds my truck. I'll resist anything he asks me to do.
    I have a friend who is a CO, and generally for the most part they are good guys, but I have had an experience or 2 with the odd one, who frankly, was not making things better for their reputation.
    If you are talking about the one CO who operates up around 70 mile etc, I think I know who you are talking about, and am
    hearing some not so good reports on him.
    But, don't make the issue worse for yourself if you encounter that CO your talking about, you will just end up losing, and potentially paying out of your pocket for it.
    We have all been there at one time or another, just keep your cool, eventually they "move on".

Look it up - not that hard to find (BC Wildlife act). They CAN actually stop you for no reason to ask you questions regarding hunting or fishing activities.
    Suggest if you're going to be a dick to a CO in a game check that you make sure all your paperwork is in order because they're going to look at everything and they likely will find something. If you're not trying to hide something then its not a problem, but if their "hunch" is correct then a judge will likely listen to what they have to say.

The deal with Game Checks is they catch guys and educate people at the same time.

Section 095 — Officers empowered to stop vehicles

95 (1) An officer may, for the purposes of this Act, stop a motor vehicle, private or chartered aircraft or boat or other vehicle to determine whether or not the occupants of the vehicle have been hunting, trapping or angling, and to obtain information about wildlife or game fish possessed by them.
    (2) A person commits an offence under subsection (1) if the person
    (a) fails to stop,
    (b) fails to identify himself or herself when requested to do so by the officer,
    (c) refuses to give information respecting hunting or fishing, or
    (d) being the driver or operator of a motor vehicle, in or on which there is wildlife or game fish or an article or device that may be used for hunting, trapping or fishing, fails, refuses or neglects to stop his or her motor vehicle when signalled or requested to stop by an officer who is in his or her uniform of office or displays his or her official badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Mist View Post
    sure , but they still need a valid reason as to why they are pulling you over. It can be anything even a concern over vehicle “safety”. but simply a huntch doesn’t stand up in court very well, it’s called due process. Every citizen has a right to it. Yes you have to be truthful when asked questions, you also have the right to say nothing at all. If they search your vehicle without permission or a warrant not sure what judge will accept that. I guess if life worked like that , you know make stuff up you see fit , next time I build a house I’ll get the electrician to sort of do his job, you know cause he meant well. Everyone is accountable including CO’s to their job correctly.
    All I’m wondering about is what’s the deal with game checks ? I hate to assume but maybe a judge provides some type of wide warrant for this to occur in a community ?

It’s like anything in life...there is the OK CO, there is the great CO, and then there can be the CO that is a real pain and maybe graduated bottom of the class.
    One thing you may be forgetting is you can challenge your ticket and go to court.I did that a couple of he ears ago.Long story, but short of it is,that I ended up with a suit n’ tie on in Richmond court(I used to where one of those outfits to work any way before I retired recently)and challenged the tickets.CO came to me before court opened and said...”You know you are gonna loose, I will drop the fine a little if you sign off”. I said, “No” I want my turn in front of Judge.
    Judge called us last, after all the traffic stuff( by the way everyone that disputed a traffic issue,had fines reduced!- one cop never showed so, wiped off).It was very interesting, Judge was extremely interested how duck hunting was done in Fraser Valley,etc. I brought maps, etc. and he called me up to show him what I said the issues were.It went on for a good half hour and the judege really grilled the CO.In the end the Judge dismissed 2 charges - hunting in prohibited area ( CO argued that I needed to be below high water mark to hunt- I said no & he also said I could not carry a loaded firearm after dark back to my truck because it ment I was still hunting- I said no.)Judge agreed with me on both counts but was way more interested in the poor quality of definitions from CO, poor map designations provided by CO and he was shocked that there are dykes were you can hunt while other folks come to walk...
    Judge also was not too happy with how CO treated me,and said so to CO.It was an interesting experience and worth the trouble.