Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Noob questions for you elk gurus out there

Re: Noob questions for you elk gurus out there

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    the bull this past week for me came out probably due to cow calling, but, as soon as he knew I should be insight,
    meaning me, the cow elk, should be standing right there, but couldn't see anything, he held up, and was going to walk away,
    back the way he came, I decided I had nothing to lose, so I let out a high note whistle, and bingo, he turned around, and started coming straight on over!
    So, yes, always try cow calls 1st, but a bugle sometimes works better, but wait til your out of options...IMO.
    Might be good advice, but if I can’t kill an elk with out him screaming his face off id rather just go deer hunting. For me it’s all about hearing those bulls get fired up! Nothing beats an elk under a hundred yards that sounds like he’s coming to rip your head off.
    I'm sure the wolves are not in the area to howl Kumbaya at the moon and eat granola. "Ourea"

Quote Originally Posted by zippermouth View Post
    Might be good advice, but if I can’t kill an elk with out him screaming his face off id rather just go deer hunting. For me it’s all about hearing those bulls get fired up! Nothing beats an elk under a hundred yards that sounds like he’s coming to rip your head off.
    I understand that, (who wouldn't want that as the build up!) but they don't always bugle.
    They sometimes just come in silently, and out of nowhere it seems.

Still rather have an elk in the freezer then deer, regardless of if it bugles or not.

Well he never came back in the couple more days I had but I’m still feeling pretty good about being able to get that close. Unfortunately I have a bunch of travel for work coming up in the next month and a half so elk season is done for me but I’m already looking forward to next year. With all the studying and learning about elk I’ve done over the past year it was amazing to be able to put it into action. Now to think about the December white tail bow season when I’ll be able to get out again.