Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redemption and Faith Restored

Redemption and Faith Restored

November 26 2014....the last time I pulled the trigger on a buck. It had been long streak of yearly tags being cancelled for decent size 4pts, (well long in my mind) thinking I had it all figured out especially in the rut. Maybe a sense of entitlement that I knew I would get something every year. The following year I got a bit cocky passing up a real nice 4pt in September all because of a giant I had one video of a few weeks earlier...thinking I wanted to hunt one single deer that was probably already dead or moved on. Well lets just say the old adage of don't pass up on the first day that you wouldn't on the last really bit me in the ass...and honestly cursed me after that. That season and the following ones was a lot of time and not much in the way of anything with antlers....like I'm talking even a 2 point. Countless hikes, 30 plus cameras in the field, sitting, hunting from September through Dec 10 and nothing...To say the least I was getting a bit frustrated and honestly taking this shit way to seriously. To cap it off last year, had a devastating moose hunt that would have to go under the thread of lost game..honestly felt like quitting after last season with what had happened. I started to sell off a large majority of my hunting stuff which I had way too much of anyway losing interest in getting out. Sold a number of guns off and no longer bothered with cams as I sold all of them as well. This year rolls around and I was thinking of actually taking the year off as I had zero chance of getting drawn for LEH and didn't want to bother chasing a buck this year based on the last few years.

Of course, come late August and September the season changes and start to just get that calling to get ready like I had since I was 5 years old...an impossible habit or calling to break I suppose. I also had a new area picked out with some recent "habitat rejuvenation". It wasn't the easiest place to get into and would require a person to get out and hike which made me happy because of most roads around here looking Hwy 1 on a long weekend. I decided this year I was going to explore new area and give up on the areas I had prior success with which also was not easy to break the habit of. I started off with a couple days of scouting identifying some large buck tracks in numerous pairs. Okay I thought, we might have an early season bachelor herd in this area which often times results in them looking at the calendar on Sept. 10th and disappearing.

Come opening day I get up, not all that excited but just happy for the first time in a long time I am going to check out some new area and at least get some exercise in for a hike. I spend the morning in the area and its windy. The red sky in morning is dark and its one of those days where you know coming across anything is going to be slim. Again restraining myself from not getting discouraged about things I can't control like the weather. I started to hike a ridge I had identified as a possible good cover spot for deer that were in the area. While I didn't locate any deer that day I located numerous sets of big tracks and recent scrapes...like a lot of recent scrapes. I though this might be a worthwhile spot to try again tomorrow. I decided not to go back that evening as it was still windy and too warm. No point in going in and adding human presence for nothing. I also kinda figured no one would be in there.
    Last edited by Cyrus; 10-06-2018 at 08:04 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Redemption and Faith Restored

I’m waiting for the rest of your story cyrus!

Waiting x2...

Sorry...turkey day yesterday...

I wake up the next morning and temps are a bit cooler and next to no wind. The drive would be quick as honestly was not that far back in the woods and my observation over the last few years has been a lot more deer and especially big bucks close in. Perhaps too many predators? I went back to the same spot and waited to start my hike until legal light as I have burned by starting my hike too early in the past and running into game before I could see. I made my way up to the ridge which I had hiked the day before. I was going to do a reverse hike from the back side and make a circle around to where I had parked, about 3 hrs. I started walking in a wide open spot and the wind started to come up. I sat there for a few minutes glassed around and thought about going back. I said to myself forget iit and keep going...then changed my mind again and turned around to do the same route as yesterday. The slope side of the ridge had more cover and was less susceptible to the wind. I started to walk into the area and observed additional scrapes that were either new or I had not seen the day previous. I convinced myself I likely just missed them. Either way they looked fresh in the last couple of days.

I was creeping along slowly glassing every few minutes as there was some good open spaces a couple hundred yards in front. I observed 3 beds on the ground that for sure had not been there the day before. Everything was just telling me I was in a good spot to see at least an ungulate of some variety this morning...probably a doe and a couple of fawns at the most I thought. I got to the high point of the ridge and glassed down again about 150 yards of visibility through the trees and shrubs. No movement and nothing laying down. I continued at a snails pace keeping in mind the last couple years I was really catching myself walking way too fast through an area just because I didn't see anything and wanted to get to the next area. I started to make my descent down and that is where things started happening quickly....

Oh boy.....waiting
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

Suddenly out of nowhere and totally unexpected I observed two large bodied deer crest the ridge about 100-110 yards right in front of me on a good jog. I observed tall racks on both deer. Honestly, my heart started beating a mile a minute because I was sure I just observed 4 pts on both animals. I started to worry that they were going to head straight into some thick stuff. Basically I was hunting an alleyway as there was slope about 15 yards of somewhat open area and the thick trees on top. My thought was this is where those deer are heading. Nope....

What do those deer do next? They stop dead in their tracks at 105 yards turning broadside to stare at me. I had the wind in my face but they must have seen me moving. I swear they were looking at me like and had an expression on their face of what the hell is this guy doing here? I know they are a good size and go to the rifle instantly dropping my scope covers. I set up my trigger sticks and put my gun up...damn I forgot to throw on my ear protection...With having some already existing ear issues I will no longer fire a rifle without protection. I took the time to grab my ear muffs off my hip...thinking oh great they are going to be gone as I am taking way too much time. I was also downhill and the trigger sticks were not set up great. So I get myself together thinking I jut took 10 minutes to get set up when it more likely like 10 seconds. I put the rifle up and breath. Honestly I am completely calm at this point. I identify quickly that both deer are 4 points. The front one is tall and his antlers are dark. The back one which is another 5 yards back is damn near similar and in full velvet. Which one do I want to try for? How much time do I have to think about this? Make a decision and shoot!!!

I thought to myself I want the front one. It looks bigger and honestly would rather have one that is not in velvet..first time ever hunting where I actually had that choice. I also had a much cleaner shot at the front one. I line up on the front one with my Browning 300 WSM making sure the back deer is not in the line of fire. Nope I am good. I am completely still and here it goes....first shot at a buck in 4 years!!! Squeeze the trigger and oh my gawd safety is still on!!! I catch myself losing focus for a split second click off the safety and back on target. I line up behind the front shoulder and squeeze the trigger. BANG! I see the deer drop in a heap with his antlers swaying around. I see the other deer take off running instantly. My heart starts beating again thinking to myself I just broke my curse and damn that happened fast!!! I reload but see no movement. Safety back on and I take a couple minutes to make sure he is down and grab my scope covers...honestly it was probably more like 10 seconds. I start walking down and hurdle over a couple downed trees taking my eyes off where I had seen him drop..of course losing sight of where he was. I re-locate him on the ground seeing that he is still and see a nice size rack staring me in the face. I walk up to him and he appears to be down. He is not breathing and no movement....boy was I wrong on my medical assessment. I give him a poke with the barrel of the rifle and he is back to life swinging his antlers... wacking me in the leg. Boy that was dumb of me as I could have had a nice puncture wound as a souvenir. I finish him off with a well placed shot just below the base of the skull. He sure looked down for the count the first time but was for sure down now. I take a few deep breaths and have that same euphoric feeling that I had not experienced in a long time when harvesting an animal of a decent magnitude. I cut his throat to bleed him out and cancel my tag. I had a bitch of a time getting good pics and honestly only got one good one that kinda shows his true size, even though I missed his head in the pic. Not a record breaker but a very solid and even 4x4 with a nice tall rack and nice looking eye guards. His antlers are almost black..maybe from a certain nature event...

I did not want to waste anymore time with pics as I knew the hornets were going to be awful when it warmed up. I also was a long way from the road and my truck was about a mile away and knew this could be an interesting pack out. I gutted him locating the shot had broke his back clipping the under side of the spine and taking out some lung matter. Yep I thought didn't adjust my aim for the decline from where I took the shot at. I perhaps got lucky! I kept my rifle close as ?I had saw a lot of bear scat in the area. After gutting him I went back to the truck to get the rest of my gear and to try and get somewhat closer. The road paralleled the ridge and I made my way down to where I knew where he was. What did I find but a nice skidder trail that guess what..took me right to him after a just a wee bit of vehicle abuse....

Of course I forgot rope and tie downs at home and paper towel!!! Forgot to put my latex gloves on as well. Well I guess my sweater is my rag today. Man was that thing heavy to get in the back of the truck. I should of just halfed him as my back would of thanked me for that instead of struggling to get the whole animal in the back of the truck. I get him in, collect all my gear and knives and just start heading out...nope I forgot my rifle...Am I losing my mind I thought??? Am I really that excited? I beat the hornets from showing up which was my goal. I get him home and winch him up with my princess auto electric hoist...man those things work stellar. He is skinned and cleaned up and off to the butcher.

I had it all done by 1230. Hornets were bad when the sun showed up but I had most of it done by then.

I learned a few things with this hunt. I really needed to switch things up. Although I had been successful in my other area I was bored with it and was losing interest. I kept thinking every time I went I would see something as I had taken so many in years previous. Taking hunting too seriously takes the enjoyment out of it having been choked especially after last season with how much time I had been putting in without results. It was nice to hunt new area and just get out and explore. I saw signs of bucks and just got lucky to run into one, well I guess 2. I got lucky I chose to change my mind and walk back to the area I had walked before this day which just shows how much a simple mind change can have on success. This is my only animal this year so I guess I am done with the new regs on deer and have no trips planned. I am fine with it! The wife who has kept us fed the last few years with her deer has a tag and we will see what happens. Only half a tank of fuel used...

Pics to follow!

Great story, thank you for sharing. After reading this I'm thinking I should be out chasing Island blacktail in the rain but I'm busy getting trailers and trucks ready for our shared moose hunt.

If you are hunting blacktail you can take another. There is a 2 deer limit in Region 1.