Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shíshálh (Sechelt) Nation and B.C. sign landmark agreement - land transfers

shíshálh (Sechelt) Nation and B.C. sign landmark agreement - land transfers

A landmark reconciliation agreement between the shíshálh Nation and B.C. recognizes and respects Indigenous title and rights, and supports self-determination and shíshálh self-government.
    The agreement is a commitment to working together to protect the environment, as well as promote economic opportunity and growth for the shíshálh Nation and the entire Sechelt region.
    “This is a historic day, that our people have worked towards for generations. We have advanced every path to true reconciliation,” said Chief Warren Paull, shíshálh Nation. “Every step of the way we have sought that a proper foundation be set based on recognition of our governments, laws, and jurisdiction, a true government-to-government relationship, protection of culture and our natural environment, and real investments in economic growth. Today, that has been accomplished through a totally new type of agreement that will be to the enduring benefit of our Nation, and all who live in our Territory, for decades to come.”
    This is the first major reconciliation agreement between this provincial government and a First Nation. It represents a progressive and collaborative approach to the implementation of shíshálh title and rights, and the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. It also represents a new model that pushes past some of the obstacles that have been sources of delay and conflict in the past.
    “The people of the shíshálh Nation have led with vision and courage to make transformative change for their community,” said Premier John Horgan. “Our government is proud to work with shíshálh Nation in a renewed government-to-government relationship, based on rights, reconciliation and respect. It’s part of our commitment to advance reconciliation with Indigenous peoples and build a better future for everyone in B.C.”
    A key part of the agreement includes the establishment of a landmark government-to-government working relationship that will create new decision-making structures between the Province and shíshálh government. Other key components include land transfers, economic and socio-cultural investments, establishment of a land-use planning process and joint aspirational long-term commitments.
    The agreement includes the transfer of three parcels of Crown land adjacent to existing shíshálh lands to be used for economic development purposes, including gravel extraction as well as for social and cultural purposes.
    B.C. is providing approximately $36 million to support land purchases and implementation costs. Funding for implementation and forestry initiatives will be spread over the first five years of the agreement while both parties look ahead to how the agreement might evolve to encompass other types of land and resource decisions.
    The agreement formalizes the Shared Decision Making Pilot Agreement for forestry decisions and broadens the scope to include additional forms of land and resource decisions over time.
    B.C. has been working with shíshálh to actively engage industry stakeholders and local governments about the agreement.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2018IRR0067-001925

The agreement including maps of the crown land being given away and extended shíshálh territory

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/environment/natural-resource-stewardship/consulting-with-first-nations/agreements/shishalh_nation_foundation_agreement_-_final_-_redacted.pdf

Last edited by Sirloin; 10-06-2018 at 07:12 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: shíshálh (Sechelt) Nation and B.C. sign landmark agreement - land transfers

Moving forward with ass kissing and vote pandering.

I find it interesting you dont hear of any of this on the news. I mean, if the government is so proud of the good job they are doing,you would think it would be all over the news. Its almost like they dont want the general public knowing about this. Or am I being paranoid?

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Moving forward with ass kissing and vote pandering.
    YUP ! pretty SOON it will all be back to FN Rule ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    YUP ! pretty SOON it will all be back to FN Rule ! RJ
    Guess I'll be thankful my immediate family has FN in it.. I'll just enlarge my hunting party.

That band actually does work. The put alot of effort in to economic benefits for their community. Dont quote me, but I also believe they have a no alcohol policy as well. Well run and organized. Unlike some others......
    Im not a big advocate on giving away land and all this other crap the government is doing, pandering for votes from the tribes

Horgan needs to go so bad, how can one person be able to sign such agreements
    Kamloops cabins for rent!
    www.bclakefronts.com

Check out some amazing pictures on my Facebook of trophy fish and game:
    www.facebook.com/bclakefronts
    What about YOUTUBE, Check my video on how to make a Euro mount:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianCade

Hopefully he chokes on his next vegan hotdog and croaks.

The dock owners in Pender harbor now have to consult First nations directly to renew their foreshore leases . And docks will have to be replaced or removed to conform to new so called environmental standards . All this was done behind closed doors with no input from dock owners , one government rep said this is a test case and will eventually be implemented province wide in tidal and non tidal waters . The politicians have lost their f'ing minds .

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/fa...ure_print1.pdf

Why can't this crap be posted in politics or open chat??? Sure it will probably affect how we hunt in our broken 2 tiered society but come on, I come to this forum to read hunting related posts not political nonsense...
    Rant over.......