Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Kechika River Adventure

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Re: A Kechika River Adventure

I am loving it!!
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Arrow Re: A Kechika River Adventure

Up To The Snow!

The next am came early, and I awoke to the loud complaints of my overworked legs screaming blue murder for the torture they had endured thus far. You ain't seen nothing yet I growled through gritted teeth, and rose to stretch in the frozen air to work the kinks out.
    A quick coffee & breakfast, and we packed up to set off uphill once again.
    This time the Ladz stayed within sight, and we struggled as we slowly gained ground up the creek which was rapidly getting skinnier and trickier to navigate with each step:

Three hours in, and before we would break the timber, I called a break for more fuel. By now my belly was growling non-stop, and I felt it would be better to continue without that distraction. He's a shot of my pack & rifle, looking down towards our back-trail:

Carrying on, we again stopped briefly to water up before heading up higher. By now, we were into the alpine, and any stops were necessarily short due to the sweat literally freezing on you if you tarried:

Working ever higher took serious effort, and for me, the elevation began to introduce another problem. Living on the coast at sea level, one tends to forget just how skinny the air gets as you climb. By now, my lungs were burning (damn happy I quit smoking when I did!!) and I simply felt as though I couldn't get enough oxygen in all of the time. My little rests became more frequent, and I could see the quick look of concern my long-term Friend tried to conceal from me...

How about an early night He asked. I'm getting worn down, and we should probably camp within the last of the trees before attacking the big hills tomorrow. A wave of relief washed over me, and I was quite thankful to this rough & tumble fellow for the suggestion. Surprised a little, but more than happy to comply.

We discovered a couple of little "nests" where the slope wasn't too great, and could offer perches for our tent & tarp. And yes, that is snow in the background. We had been dealing with that for over an hour by now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I have never been so happy for a GOOD Quality down sleeping bag!

That night it dropped well below zero, and in the morning all the water we had packed up the hill was frozen right solid!!
    Instead of thawing them, we simply melted snow for the morning's coffee and quick breakfast, then it onward & upwards!!

As soon as we broke out on top, the big spotting scope & binoc's came into play:

It didn't take long at all to spot several groups of goats, and as I was packing a tag, we carefully investigated each. I've seen literally hundreds upon hundreds of goats in my forays through the hills. They had never struck me as anything I was interested in, and I certainly was not at all enthused by the meat proffered by buddies who did shoot them. But prior to this hunt, I decided that perhaps the time had come for me to take one. Who knows, this may be the last time I am capable of even getting there. Thus the reason for the tag in my pocket...

We did locate a rather fine Billy, but he was situated in an area we have called Unobtainable Rock for many years. It name is well deserved.
    But as this was the best of the goats we saw, he became a frequent check target for me over the next few days:

You can't see the terrain from that picture, but the hill is surrounded by sheer cliffs of substantial size.
    So my hope was that this fellow would eventually wander over to an adjacent area I could perhaps struggle over too...

Over the next few days, goat sightings were relatively common, but thus far none were comparable to the Billy above.

This was the ONLY female to be packing a baby with her, and it was two years old. More on that in a moment...

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Solo BIG Female. I actually thought about taking her - but only for a few seconds. Her horns were well over 10 inches, and heavy / curved.

But then again, she was a she after all...

Skylined Goats

Guess he got to Know me

Thumbs down Re: A Kechika River Adventure

The snow began on and off the second day we were up top.
    A bit of a nuisance when trying to stay glued to the mountainside alright!

This day we located two separate herds of Stone Sheep ewe's. 32 in total. Again - no lambs. Not a one.
    A few smaller rams were mixed in with them, but we simply could not find the Big Boy I drug myself up this hill to find... Yet...

Day three on top, rations left for one more, maybe two if really pushed.

Late afternoon we finally found a great ram, and he was acting rather bizarre for this time of year. He had crested a ridge about 3/4 mile distant, boogied right up to the herd of ladies, and began to sniff each one checking their status. This is November behavior, and we thought his clock was little off.
    To our amazement, one of the ewes actually let him mount, and they went at it for several minutes.
    The things you get to see!! Bizarre!!

The ram was well over full curl, and the lamb tips rose well above the bridge of his nose.
    Game ON!!

As we discussed the best line of approach to get this old butt within shooting distance, the herd, and the great ram, suddenly SPOOKED!
    And spooked BAD!
    WTH??

As they raced towards the distant skyline, a much larger and darker figure came roaring up out of the adjacent canyon, and was matching the sheep initially stride for stride!
    The spotting scope revealed this intruder to be a large mature Grizzly, in obviously excellent shape.
    The sheep topped out and disappeared at full tilt boogie.
    As did the bear in hot pursuit.

We shook our heads, and meandered over to the last point we could see them.
    Much easier said than done, the task took several hours.
    To our dismay, the tracks told the whole story.
    The herd, with ram in tow and Grizzly hot on their tails, had left our mountain.
    The spotter picked up tracks topping the ridge of the next mountain over.
    To get there would take 2 days plus.
    The opportunity up in smoke as quickly as it presented itself.
    I could not help but wonder if that represented the last time I would ever see such a potential on a great ram, and will freely admit, that left a little mist in the aging eyes at that moment.

Guess he got to Know me

Exclamation Re: A Kechika River Adventure

I am going to take a small break here from the tale itself, as I want to point out something that has been troubling me since we got home.
    As I noted, among 28 female goats, there was but a single two year old offspring.
    Of the 32 ewes we encountered, not a single one had a lamb.
    Yet the rams were there, and obviously performing their duty...

Although we heard wolves howling damn near every night, there was a noticeable absence of that on top of the hills.
    Nor were there any wolf tracks in the snow.
    There WERE a very large number of Grizzly Bear tracks up there, and after watching one of them attempt directed attacks on two different herds, I have come to believe they (the grizzlies) are the most likely culprit regarding the absence of the lambs.
    It is my (and my Partners') belief that these bears have become efficient predators on high.
    If I had had a tag, that bear would have died regardless of how long it took to accomplish.
    In fact I thought briefly of ol' Ralph Klein's suggestions and that bear...

Those who appose the grizzly hunts have no damn clue of what they have done.
    Everything out there has consequences.
    In this particular case, those consequences may well mean the end of the sheep and goats on the particular hills we visited.
    And I cannot think that to be a singular situation.
    I am not willing to sit idly by why these great resources suffer so much because of the interference of misguided fools.
    As such, I will be doing every singly thing within my power to remove the government (small g intended) that imposed this BS in our Province.
    I truly hope that many others feel as I do and are willing to aid in that cause...

In the lower areas, we did not see any moose calves either.
    And the elk calves were scant, about one for every 4 or 5 cows.
    That I attribute to the wolves.
    Here's HOPING the local trappers can get a handle on their numbers before we lose them too...

Minor Apologies for my little rant.
    But this is something near & dear to my heart, and I simply had to get it off my chest...

Now back to your regular scheduled programming...

Guess he got to Know me

well that is a nice story book for sure . but really I am glad your out there trying just slow down as all ways tomorrow . Most young guys are out of shape as just at the workout gym not real on deck stamina and are beat but will not admit it

Great write up thus far.. Agreed! we were up the river system to the west of you and had seen a boar grizzly stalking and nearly getting a couple billies, chased them right up into the cliffs! There was no quit in this bear, it was sooo close - got it on (shakey) video.
    Tell it how it is!!!

Day Four on top.
    Thawed frozen water with snow for a coffee.
    Staring to feel bushed a little.

Selfie (the first I have EVER taken!) on the day we arrived up top:

And on Day Four:

Starting to look almost as demented as I feel...

We checked for the sheep in case they had returned.
    Unfortunately not.
    So I wandered over to scan Unobtainable Rock to see if the big Billy might move out.
    Took a few minutes to find him...
    I no sooner did, than he perked right up, jumped to his feet, and stared HARD at the wall above himself.
    I swung the binoc's up to determine why, and there stood THE LARGEST BILLY I have EVER seen!

And he was focused HRAD on the fellow downhill from him.

I had thought the first one was pretty good, and he indeed was.
    But this new guy absolutely dwarfed him in body & horn size!
    Hmmm...

Suddenly the Big Boy began a mad dash down towards the initial Billy.
    That one turned in obvious panic, and the race was on!
    The larger Billy was closing fairly quickly, and I thought there might be some potential he would run the other right over to the adjacent range.
    A range I could get to...

Alas, such was not to be the case. When he got to the sheer walls, the Big Boy put on the brakes, and watched his rival boogie down that, and across to the next hill.
    Hmmm...

I spent a couple hours admiring that Monster Goat with my Buddies.
    I have a LOT of mountain experience, including work in National Parks.
    My Partners both have exceptional experience in the hills as well, and both have taken book billys in years past.
    We all agreed, this was the largest any of us had seen.
    But no way without a helicopter to get anywhere near...

Sigh...

After a spell we wandered over to try and locate the first goat.
    When we did, I managed to get within range without spooking him.
    And I did hold the crosshairs on him for quite the spell.
    In the end, the vision of the Monster simply would not let me touch the trigger.
    So that there was likely the luckiest goat on the planet...

The next day I was out of coffee, and damn near out of everything else.
    There were more rations - MRE's and stashed food back at the boat & campsite.
    As I paid homage to these hills I love so much, I promised myself (and those with) that I WILL get into better shape, and I WILL be back to look for both that Monster Goat, and the Great Ram we had encountered...

The hike out was basically uneventful. A blur in my tired mind.

Pushing limits of endurance I did not know I had, this time I beat the younger crowd down and all the way out by a matter of hours.
    By the time they showed up, well after dark, I had shelter set up, a good fire going, and munchies ready to chow down on.
    Another feeling of accomplishment in doing so...

Guess he got to Know me

Awesome write up. the animal populations can take a lot of hunting pressure, just not from both humans and predators, Hopefully someone can help the populations by reducing predator numbers, sad to see no calves/lambs, ive seen/heard same stuff all over lately.